DA opts not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Re: DA ops not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

That is great news, but I would still suspend them at least 1 game for putting themselves in that situation and letting others on the team see what happens when you do something bad and it doesn't matter how valuable of a player you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

OK so the guys got a mulligan. Hopefully, they will thank the Lord and the DA in LA, and keep their noses clean from now on. I don't know what their home situations are, but for their sakes, I hope they can move around sans guns/pot and I don't mean just while at Alabama, but as an ongoing adjustment to their lives.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001

I can't lie. I'm wondering what's up with this. If what happened is true, charges should be pressed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

It would be interesting if the DA released a statement...but if it was due to some kind of procedural error by the police, I bet they won't say anything. I imagine the firearm was legally purchased and that got tossed and it just wasn't worth the prosecutorial time once the major charge was dropped.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Just to clarify, the charges aren't dropped just that the DA chose not to prosecute at this time..
That is what lawyers call a "distinction without a difference." Any investigation which doesn't end in a trial or plea bargain and conviction can always be reopened. Given the facts in this case, it is unlikely in the extreme that additional evidence will emerge which would cause the case to be revived. We can all breathe a sigh of relief...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

That is what lawyers call a "distinction without a difference." Any investigation which doesn't end in a trial or plea bargain and conviction can always be reopened. Given the facts in this case, it is unlikely in the extreme that additional evidence will emerge which would cause the case to be revived. We can all breathe a sigh of relief...
Good information. Thanks for clarifying.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Interesting. I'm wondering if the arresting officer botched something?
That's always a possibility. It sounded strange that they would ride around with a gun in sight in someone's lap and a bag of weed in plain sight on the floorboard, which is what I understood the arresting officers were claiming.

I am from Monroe and the DA, Jerry Jones, made it pretty clear that he was not going to drop the hammer on them since they had no real priors and both were good athletes that had busted their chops to get to the next level.

Corndogs are probably flipping out though.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is his general approach. Use a little common sense and not drag a good person through the court system over a little pot. I don't think he would have done this if it wasn't how he usually handles things. I expect that there are other situations where he has done something similar in the past.
I'm sure he will get plenty of blowback from the local corndogs...hopefully they don't have enough pull to get him to reverse course and bring charges.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Well, illegal search or seizure will stop a prosecution in it's tracks when the case is built on items obtained in said search.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Comments from the DA

Jerry Jones cited insufficient evidence in proving who was in possession of the gun and the drugs, thus, he is dropping the charges.

Jones says, "I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning."

Razorback40

Jun 9, 2016

the smell of the weed coming from the car is usually enough evidence to warrant a search

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

I'm sure he will get plenty of blowback from the local corndogs...hopefully they don't have enough pull to get him to reverse course and bring charges.
Yep, L5U fans are having a field day with JJ's comments about these boys out sweating on the football fields while everyone else is in the AC. However, there will be no reversal. There will probably be some public speaking to some area schools though.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Wonder if our resident Police Officer will comment on this? He staunchly defended the moral upstanding procedural methods of all Po-Po's.....lol.
I think he got so bent out of shape because someone wondered if the guns or pot had been planted by the police.
That's a really bad thing...but in my humble opinion when a policeman bends the rules to make a search, that too is corrupt, although we don't know if that's what happened in this case.
Edit:
If Old Man Dan, our board retired policeman has an opinion, I will pay close attention to what he thinks. He always talks sense in situations where police are being discussed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.