DA opts not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: DA ops not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

I am from Monroe and the DA, Jerry Jones, made it pretty clear that he was not going to drop the hammer on them since they had no real priors and both were good athletes that had busted their chops to get to the next level.
So Jerry's got hisself that job, too? Makes perfect sense. No way he was going to jeopardize his college football opener at his stadium with the possibility of depriving fans of watching his potential No. 1 draft choice for his NFL team in 2017...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I'm sure riding around with the police at night will give these young men some understanding of policework from a policeman's view.

They might also learn a few tips to avoid being pulled over for a junk reason, which happens all too often. What I'm talking about is being pulled over for failure to give a turn signal, or the tag light being out...stuff like that.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So, will CNS suspend them? If so how many games? I know what I would do but I tend to lean to the extreme side compared to most.
I doubt Cam gets suspended. CNS and the Alabama administration has all of the internal punishment (which is extensive) documented. I don't see how Cam gets a suspension considering the DA won't be moving forward with the charges..

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001

Based on what? Internet rumor and innuendo? I was the first to say that if the initial reports were true they should be suspended. The DA has investigated and found it's not worth prosecuting. That should be the end of it for all of us. If Saban wants to make them run some wind sprints or punish them in other ways for putting themselves in this situation, so be it. But to say they should be charged when a DA says they shouldn't seems strange to me.
Hmmm, how do I put this. So Robinson was initially charged with "possession of a controlled dangerous substance and illegal possession of a stolen firearm. Jones, for "possession of a controlled dangerous substance."

Since charges were dropped - you would have to say that this never happened? That they didn't have these dangerous substances and he didn't posses a firearm? Not sure what internet rumor and innuendo you're referring to, I was quoting the facts from the arrest.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Maybe, but from what we have heard Cam legally purchased the gun and it sounds like there was only a small amount of pot. Thinking it was just not enough to press charges or make it worth pressing charges. Glad this did not happen in Alabama since the REC rhetoric would be much louder than what I'm sure is already being discussed on many SEC message boards.
To me it sounds like once the DA got this he handled himself responsible. Hootie and Cam might not have, and the arresting officers might not have, but the DA seems to have looked at everything and dealt with it in a responsible manner.

Well, the other thread had a back in forth involving people with experience on all sides of the issue. The consensus seemed to be that smell of weed was a pretense for a search and that the odds of a gun being in plain sight was also rather unlikely. So, it is within reason that these guys were given overzealous treatment and I'm not sure things like that work as well with increased scrutiny.

I can't lie. I'm wondering what's up with this. If what happened is true, charges should be pressed.
What happened? The "crime" was that of "possession" if you think about it. They had stuff, they didn't hurt anyone, there's 0 evidence that Cam went to Baldwin County and stole a gun, and by all appearances it seems like the police tried to stick it to these guys but there wasn't much to make stick.

Yes they should be punished, they have and they will be. But they didn't harm anyone as far as I can tell. Their crime was largely that of stupidity.

I doubt Cam gets suspended. CNS and the Alabama administration has all of the internal punishment (which is extensive) documented. I don't see how Cam gets a suspension considering the DA won't be moving forward with the charges..
An important part is that this is the off season, so they have plenty of time to punish these guys without the necessity of sitting them for games. I would also add that if they harmed people if we were talking about assault, robbery, that sort of thing I'd be yelling for them to be suspended even if it was the off-season. But, they didn't jump on a woman and violently assault her, they didn't beat up their girlfriend who posted the pictures on social media, they didn't harm anyone.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

REC! REC! REC! RE.....er, I mean SEC! SEC! SEC!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Alex Byington ‏@abyingtonTD 1m1 minute ago
Via a report obtained by @KNOE8, part of Cam Robinson's punishment included 26 hrs. on ride alongs w/ Northport PD:

Byington who is the Bama beat writer for the Decatur Daily also said part of Cam's Bama discipline has been "intensive outpatient therapy" and gun education. I'm assuming the "therapy" is for marijuana.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.