DA opts not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
on the rich eisen show today they were caterwauling about how the DA in Alabama is putting football before the law...nevermind this was in Louisiana.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: DA ops not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

Yup. and None of them gave consent to search the car.
Someone who knows more about the law can correct me if I'm wrong but the officers can invoke "probable cause" and search. Especially if there was the smell of weed..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

People keep assuming the "smelled weed" claim stands up to scrutiny. If they found a half a gram, they didn't find any evidence of actual smoking marijuana.
the "smelled weed" is a bogus catch all like "I observed furtive movement" as a basis to search.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

They don't even have to really smell it....they can just say they do. It's a loophole officers use to shake people down.
I can attest to this from personal experience. It doesn't have to be to shake people down. They can use this tactic if anything rubs them the wrong way. I was riding with a friend once who got stopped for speeding. He declined (very politely) the officer's offer to search his car. The officer got ....ed and suddenly, there was a strong odor of pot inside the vehicle. :rolleyes:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

At what point does this begin to sound like someone in Louisiana was still butthurt that Hootie and Cam left the state to play football and the DA had better sense?

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

Maybe this wasn't the week to discuss letting LSU fans post again.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Reading the details...it sounds like Jones acted in a more appropriate manner than did the police. "'Look, I have a gun in my lap. My hands are up. I just want to show you.'"
And the policeman responds with charging them for a half gram of pot. I seriously doubt there was any smell in the air at all.

"Hands up, don't shoot." That sounds familiar.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

there were 2 other people in the car?
Though only Robinson and Jones were arrested and taken to jail, there were four people in Robinson's rental car early in the morning of May 17. The other two were handcuffed initially, Guerriero said, but only Jones and Robinson were booked. The incident report obtained through public records made no mention of the other two involved in the case.
Apparently that department doesn't require an IQ test as part of the hiring process. :rolleyes:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ian Rapport of the NFL Network talked to Joe D Guerrerio (the attorney). Here's what he had to say:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Apparently that department doesn't require an IQ test as part of the hiring process. :rolleyes:
Yep. I know all cops are not dishonest and there are more good ones obviously than bad ones but this just adds onto some of the other stories you hear about cops who don't tell the truth on their paperwork or in court.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Wow. They let the other two non-Bama players go even though they had a situation where any of the four could have been the firearm or marijuana owner.

Wonder if those officers "geaux tigers" a bit?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Yep. I know all cops are not dishonest and there are more good ones obviously than bad ones but this just adds onto some of the other stories you hear about cops who don't tell the truth on their paperwork or in court.
How did they expect that the fact that there were four people wouldn't come out? If it had gone to trial and those other two testified that they were there, the defense attorney would have made the cops look like complete idiots and/or completely dishonest. Kind of like the media (rightfully) is doing now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.