DA opts not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: DA ops not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

How did they expect that the fact that there were four people wouldn't come out? If it had gone to trial and those other two testified that they were there, the defense attorney would have made the cops look like complete idiots and/or completely dishonest. Kind of like the media (rightfully) is doing now.
I bet the DA knew about it and this went into his decision making. I'm sure the cop heard about it too. Wonder if he was disciplined for filling out a false report :rolleyes:.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't all occupants in the car normally arrested if none take ownership of the drugs?
It's really all officer discretion. They could factor in where it was located in the car and decide to charge a specific person or they could charge everyone. The da could end up bringing charges against the people in the car if they saw fit even if the officer doesn't arrest them.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

You know, I can't get too worked up about this either way.

The Alabama players screwed up, they made a mistake. There's no getting around that. The arresting officers certainly seemed to go out of their way to pin what ever charges they could, for what ever reason, on the Alabama players. However, it was dismissed it's done, game over, DA did the right thing for what ever reason and now everyone can get on with their lives.

I would say though, to any of the people who think these players haven't been punished enough just review the facts. Consider two of the four people in the car were released. Consider the amount of marijuana found (on a search that apparently was not consented to) was small enough that you might find that amount in the ash tray of any given number of cars. The only thing, the only thing in all of this that really lingered was stolen gun aspect. May be that's why they were brought in, may be that was the big deal, but it was stolen from Baldwin County. When is the last time Cam was there? So, nothing to see here, move along. They made a mistake, it's been dealt with and that's that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

It is questionable when it ends up being only the athletes at a out-of-state institution charged and the two anonymous joes just walked away scotch free. It may be the officer's discretion but it is more useful to the state to arrest all four of them and see who talks or how each story fits. And the overwhelming majority of the time, that is exactly what the arresting officer(s) will do.

It smacks of prejudice. He wanted to nail the athletes and didn't even have probable cause for a search.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

So basically Louisiana cops are bad at their jobs...

but will this curtail the "preferential treatment" angle?

NO.

Why did the charges get dropped? Because there was going to be public scrutiny on the case. Once they get some kids from the poor parts, it will be business as usual for corrupt LA cops.

And I don't mean Los Angeles.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007

And I don't mean Los Angeles.[/QUOTE]

Lower Alabama???

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You'd think after all these years, Louisiana would be well acquainted with how tough our DEFENSE is, especially IN the state of Louisiana.

:)

The police officers might have crossed more lines than Jordan Jefferson did in the BCS title game.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

Glad to see the charges dropped. From a selfish standpoint, that was the best case scenario. Hopefully Cam and Hootie have their butts worked off during the off-season, and they learn their lesson. I still wouldn't be disappointed if they were suspended for the opener, although I sincerely doubt that will happen. Whether they were perfectly innocent or not, being out that late with marijuana and weapons in the car is a selfish/ really stupid choice. They may not be completely at fault, but it seems unlikely that both were in Cam's car and he had no clue. It's just not logical. With that said, I'm ecstatically relieved that we will have them both this season.

The thing that chaps me most about this situation is the DA's comments. His "Working hard while we were in the AC" comment may be the most asinine thing I've ever heard. If you don't have a case because of lack of evidence, then just say that and move on. Making a comment like that only adds to the fire of those who feel like college athletes get preferential treatment from the judicial system. It may not have been enough to send them to trial, but people get charged for less every day. Especially in the atmosphere we are in where the Stanford swimmer is still fresh on people's minds. It's literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard a lawyer say. It's so bad I almost wonder if he was trying to create a firestorm of public controversy.

The other thing that angers me is the public reaction to this. I hate our social media culture where it seems the most vocal are the least informed. I knew better, but I made the mistake of reading some facebook posts, and it honestly sickened me. I can't even guess as to how many people I saw claiming that Bama paid off this "Tuscaloosa DA." No one cares about being right any more, but daggumit they've got an opinion and they want to let you hear it. I mean, if you are going to be obnoxious, at least be semi-informed, right? But I guess that's asking to much.

Honestly, I hope I never get tried for anything in a court. These same morons might be the jury of my peers. I'm starting to believe that the majority of my "Peers" would pass their judgement based on a headline they glanced at in passing on twitter, and never looked at again. "Screw the evidence.Some guy said he was guilty on the internet, so it must be true."

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Truth finally out. These two aren't thugs as some suggested. Barners and Corndogs aren't happy. A good day.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
And in this day of big NFL contracts, if he is not charged, play him. Make him do something constructive like community service, and something that teaches him. Sitting is not always the way.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

So basically Louisiana cops are bad at their jobs...

but will this curtail the "preferential treatment" angle?

NO.

Why did the charges get dropped? Because there was going to be public scrutiny on the case. Once they get some kids from the poor parts, it will be business as usual for corrupt LA cops.

And I don't mean Los Angeles.
let's not make overly broad statements. I'm sure there are plenty of cops in LA who are great at their jobs. Just because there were a couple of bad ones, or just ones that made really bad decisions, in this case does not mean they are all that way.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Interesting. I'm wondering if the arresting officer botched something?
Officers lacked Probable Cause and some of their evidence would have been inadmissible. Weak case at best... My question is: Was there a legal search of the vehicle, or were they browbeat into saying yes?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.