DA opts not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Re: DA ops not to press charges on Cam and Hootie...

I like Jay a lot but he could be a little more vocal when we start getting the business especially from Al. It's even worse if Jay is not there and make no mistake when Al is off for an extended time, you'll get a barner in there ie. Terry Henley.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Just now saw this news...whew!

I sincerely hope those two young men realize how truly fortunate they are for this outcome and make the decision to never put themselves in that position again.

I would love to hear what CNS says to them.....

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I sincerely hope those two young men realize how truly fortunate they are for this outcome and make the decision to never put themselves in that position again.

If this is the result, in the long run for these two, it will have been worth it, not just for football but for the rest of their lives.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems like if you are a former Bama national champ quarterback, and then you wind up doing media or broadcasting...part of the job seems to be to try to build personal credibility by being willing to either criticize or at least not defend the Bama program on occasion. I've though the same thing about some of Greg's commentary.

There are a jillion reasons Bama fans love Namath. You couldn't get him to say anything negative, or second guess the Bama football program if you beat him with a stick.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

The thing that chaps me most about this situation is the DA's comments. His "Working hard while we were in the AC" comment may be the most asinine thing I've ever heard. If you don't have a case because of lack of evidence, then just say that and move on. Making a comment like that only adds to the fire of those who feel like college athletes get preferential treatment from the judicial system. It may not have been enough to send them to trial, but people get charged for less every day.
He is getting his arse handed to him right now for that statement. I figured all along that he was going to go easy on both Cam and Hootie but to make a public statement like this is dumb, especially when you are DA in a parish that is hardcore ate-up for L5U.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It seems like if you are a former Bama national champ quarterback, and then you wind up doing media or broadcasting...part of the job seems to be to try to build personal credibility by being willing to either criticize or at least not defend the Bama program on occasion. I've though the same thing about some of Greg's commentary.

There are a jillion reasons Bama fans love Namath. You couldn't get him to say anything negative, or second guess the Bama football program if you beat him with a stick.
And it seems this unwritten rule doesn't apply to alums of other schools. Though, Kirk Herbstriet has ticked off Ohio State fans in the past.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

He is getting his arse handed to him right now for that statement. I figured all along that he was going to go easy on both Cam and Hootie but to make a public statement like this is dumb, especially when you are DA in a parish that is hardcore ate-up for L5U.
I am willing to cut him some slack even though I agree with you on his poor choice of words. He is caught between the facts and the Purple and Gold people but he did the right thing.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

I'd imagine by this point he's said all he's going to. He's not one to keep kicking 'til he has to switch legs. The remainder will be., or has been, disciplinary action.

And as far as the media, we may as well prepare ourselves. The tigers to the east and southwest of us will ride this for all they can, and then some. They'll completely and totally disregard the additional persons involved in the incident. Ya know, if it ain't reported or you ain't got pictures it didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't have any problem with Jerry Jones rational. He did the right thing for the right reason.

I think I'll just go troll Vol Nation for lunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I tend to believe that Jones' comments yesterday were a cover for how the police officer botched the whole stop, search, and arrest process. He can't really throw his officers under the bus so he said some sentimental crap that he figured would play well. He wanted to make it seem like he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart when the brass tacks is that it was going to be a high-profile eggs in the face for the police department which would create more tension between the police and minority communities.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And it seems this unwritten rule doesn't apply to alums of other schools. Though, Kirk Herbstriet has ticked off Ohio State fans in the past.
LOL - Yeah, he had to move.

I expect that this story will now shift to, "They should still be suspended". Reasonable people understand why the charges were dropped, but they still think that they know things they just don't know. As a result they believe that Cam and Hootie are guilty and got off on a technicality. Heck, there are probably Alabama fans who feel this way. But the reality is that we don't know what went down, where the gun came from, who put it under the seat, where the pot came from, etc. There are all kinds of stories out there.

I am not sure why people wish bad things on others, but it seems to be a part of our nature.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
All I know is that if I had a dime for every should-have-been-suspended player that magically got reinstated for the Bama game I'd be a rich man. There isn't a team in this country, not one that would willingly face Alabama with anything less than full strength. They even did it during the Shula era.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The biggest thing Cam and Hootie did was create a bunch of clutter and we all know coach Saban does not like clutter. They are being punished in house, make no mistake about that.The biggest thing Cam will have to face is all the smack from opposing fans and players during the season. He better bring his Teflon pads and not let it bother him. RTR!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LOL - Yeah, he had to move.

I expect that this story will now shift to, "They should still be suspended". Reasonable people understand why the charges were dropped, but they still think that they know things they just don't know. As a result they believe that Cam and Hootie are guilty and got off on a technicality. Heck, there are probably Alabama fans who feel this way. But the reality is that we don't know what went down, where the gun came from, who put it under the seat, where the pot came from, etc. There are all kinds of stories out there.

I am not sure why people wish bad things on others, but it seems to be a part of our nature.
Some Alabama fans don't want to seem like homers to people who don't matter.

Some rivals want to see you get knocked down a peg regardless of the facts.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A couple of things bug me about this thread, and I'm sorry if it's not popular.
One. The police officer smelled pot, investigated where the smell was coming from, and found, not only pot, but two illegal handguns.
He was absolutely right to arrest the people he thought were in violation of the law.
That's his job.
It's almost like most football officials do in the current state. Call it as you see it, and then let the review officials(The D.A.) determine if your call was accurate or not.
Two. Almost 99% of the headlines I've read about this story have featured Cam Robinson with no mention of Hootie.
In a situation like this, it doesn't matter, at least to me, how dependent our football team is on one particular player.
Two young men and Bama players were involved in a serious incident, and one is no more important than the other.
There's a serious lack of priority floating in the air. It's NOT all about winning football games. It's about doing it right.
sip

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The police officer smelled pot, investigated where the smell was coming from, and found, not only pot, but two illegal handguns.
He was absolutely right to arrest the people he thought were in violation of the law.
That's his job.
Ok, I know to some people pot and guns are darn near the devil, and I'm going to try to avoid being too non-sports with this but to address this we do that a little.

A: The amount of pot was something like half a gram. You know how small that amount is? The idea that a police officer could smell that from any distance away is laughable.That's the point, he couldn't actually smell it, he said it smelled it and that was pretense for a search. Does that excuse them having a plant? No, I suppose not, we made rules against owning plants, but am I really supposed to get worked up because they had a small amount of a plant? Not really...

B: Both guns were not "illegal" and from what I understand no laws were broken in acquiring either gun. Now I'm not entirely aware of all the rules in play here but it's certainly not illegal to own and transport a firearm. The main issue was one gun turned out to be stolen. Now, that gun was stolen from Baldwin County. Do you think Cam, who has no reason to ever be near there, actually went to Baldwin County and stole the gun? I don't, but he did purchase a stolen gun. He wasn't the one who stole it though and that's pertinent. I buy things from thrift stores sometimes, and how do I know who the original owner was? How do I know no one stole the stuff and dumped it there? How can I tell? I don't, but I bought and paid for it legally, if for any reason any second hand item I end up with turns out to be stolen it was through no fault of my own. By the way I'm not even getting into the fact that two guys that didn't play football for Alabama were let off without being arrested. That is very suspect.

Anyway, yes these guys broke rules and should be punished. However, to reiterate their only crime was that of possession. Of having something. Are we really going to condemn them on the basis not of harming anyone, not of participating in harming anyone, not of condoning someone, but for having stuff? C'mon...

They didn't break anyone's jaw in a bar, they didn't beat a helpless woman on the ground, they didn't knock out a female student at the university, they didn't rape a girl at the university, they didn't beat up their girlfriend, they didn't do any number of harmful acts other football players have done and basically gotten away with. It's sad if people can't draw the distinction between harming someone and not harming anyone, we get more worked up over stupid rules we make then actually doing things to other people. That's absurd.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.