All but one Alabama assistant coach will have contract amended Tuesday

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click here:

Every Crimson Tide assistant football coach but Lane Kiffin will have their contract discussed by the committee. The offensive coordinator is entering the third year of his three-year deal signed before the 2014 season. He didn't receive a raise or extension last summer either.
The terms of Kiffin's buyout after being fired from USC in 2013 means Alabama effectively doesn't have to give him raises because he's due $3.4 million a year from USC. Any pay from Alabama only reduces the burden of the USC buyout.
Interesting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Makes sense...he's basically a 3.4 million dollar offensive coordinator subsidized by the University of Southern Cal athletics department.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From Aaron Suttles, here are some of the new contracts:

Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt contracts runs through Feb. 2019 with a base salary of $1 million.
Tosh Lupoi now listed as a co-defensive coordinator, gets a two-year extension and a raise to $550,000.
Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran now making $525,000.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm really glad to see coach Tosh Lupoi get some love. Our OLB's are playing better than ever imo.
And he is a lights out recruiter, maybe the best on the staff, though there is a bunch of them, including Cristobal, Pruitt and Napier. Don't know anything about Dunbar, Ansley or Key.

Also, glad to see Coach Burns getting more love and money. He has been the most underrated coach on the staff til the last couple of years.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've wondered if Kiffin would make the same salary even if Bama was only paying him a dollar a month. Would USC be required to pick up the difference? And if so, I'm kind of surprised Kiffin hasn't gone this route given the way he was fired and left stranded at an airport.

If my understanding is correct, there was no way for us to give him a cash bonus after winning the national championship. Any bonus would simply reduce what USC was paying him. I'm not upset for him, as he is being compensated by USC as a former head coach, and still makes quite a bit more that a successful OC would typically make.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm guessing he probably only gets the settlement difference from USC annually, so their lawyers can look over all his earned revenue for the year to calculate the amount owed by the University of Southern California. So a $1 dollar contract probably just wouldn't cut it for him. He needs monthly revenue to stay up on long term loans and what have you.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm guessing he probably only gets the settlement difference from USC annually, so their lawyers can look over all his earned revenue for the year to calculate the amount owed by the University of Southern California. So a $1 dollar contract probably just wouldn't cut it for him. He needs monthly revenue to stay up on long term loans and what have you.
Good point. Plus I imagine his "what have you" expenses might be up a little now that he's single.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
And he is a lights out recruiter, maybe the best on the staff, though there is a bunch of them, including Cristobal, Pruitt and Napier. Don't know anything about Dunbar, Ansley or Key.

Also, glad to see Coach Burns getting more love and money. He has been the most underrated coach on the staff til the last couple of years.
I expect big things out of Ansley. He seems to be pretty dang good.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
Jeremy Pruitt, the new defensive boss for the defending national champs, will be making $1 million under a three-year-plus contract approved Tuesday and offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin will be making $714,000 under a raise called for under the three-year contract he received in January 2014. Pruitt had been making $1.3 million per year at Georgia under a three-year contract that was upended when head coach Mark Richt and the school agreed to part ways late last November. According to the terms of Pruitt’s contract, he was entitled to the amount remaining on his contract, subject to his duty to find another job whose pay would offset the amount Georgia owed him.

Can someone explain why we are paying Pruitt 1 million when that just offsets the amount he is getting from Georgia. I realize that a former head coach has many more "contract issues" however why did we not just pay him $200,000 and let GA pick up the additional 1.1 million?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Can someone explain why we are paying Pruitt 1 million when that just offsets the amount he is getting from Georgia. I realize that a former head coach has many more "contract issues" however why did we not just pay him $200,000 and let GA pick up the additional 1.1 million?
No idea, but there might be some language regarding 'fair market value' or similar so teams can't take advantage of the contract.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.