got hit by a car

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i think the helmet might have saved my life or at least kept me from being a drooling idiot.

i am still in pain and very sore. i might miss the rest of this week for work.
I always wear the helmet, even around the neighborhood. I commuted to work from the 1960s through the mid '90s, when I blew my ACL and they wanted me to quit climbing. (I live above the valley at the top of a 1k' climb.) The only accident I ever had was my own stupidity - I slipped on the raised median strip while training for a multi hundred mile trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I didn't postpone the trip, but I had to treat the road rash every night. Oddly, I was always more afraid riding my trail (motor) bike to and from the trail than on the bicycle...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Holy smokes!
Watching that video again, I have to say, riding a bicycle on the dashed line between the two lanes of a four-lane highway is not the wisest thing to do. For exactly what happened: a lorry passes the biker and the air currents of a fast-moving lorry will buffet the biker, almost sucking him beneath the tyres. The biker should probably be on the outside of the outside lane, to give a trucker space to pass.
Not saying this guy deserved what happened, but if you don't want to be passed, bike in the middle of the lane and be ready for lots of finger gestures and horn-honking.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I always wear the helmet, even around the neighborhood. I commuted to work from the 1960s through the mid '90s, when I blew my ACL and they wanted me to quit climbing. (I live above the valley at the top of a 1k' climb.) The only accident I ever had was my own stupidity - I slipped on the raised median strip while training for a multi hundred mile trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I didn't postpone the trip, but I had to treat the road rash every night. Oddly, I was always more afraid riding my trail (motor) bike to and from the trail than on the bicycle...
i have on occasion not worn a helmet. i did that day though, so glad i did. the helmet was a cheap Schwinn bought at Walmart.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I ride the motorized version that could mangle you into a pulp with just one bad decision (from you or another driver)!

People don't pay attention to bikes. Compound that with folks glued to their cellphones, and it's a recipe for disaster....I know cycling and motorcycles are different, but the premise is the same....Most don't agree, but with a motorcycle, I believe loud pipes save lives....it saved at least one person that I know of....(and one is enough)

Years ago, I picked up my daughter from daycare (she's 17 now). It was almost dusk, and light was fading fast. I was fixing to pull out from the daycare. I looked to the left and saw one car, waaayyy down the road. I started to pull on out, when I heard something and hit the brakes....it was the open exhaust of a motorcycle I heard, and by me checking up, saved his life.....(he was riding in line with one of the headlights of the car that was far away, and was invisible to me).......so although obnoxious I'm sure, my bike has straight pipes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.