Game Thread: It has come to this - UK votes to leave the EU

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: It has come to this - Brexit voting later today in the UK...

So...

How long before Germany has the same vote? The UK has the fifth largest economy in the world, Germany has the fourth - are thy willing to foot the bill even more than they have been...
Germany will be fine. Their populace is much more united concerning the Eurozone, and Britain really didn't contribute a great percentage of their GDP to begin with. They, and the EU in general, are better equipped to absorb the shock this could cause than Britain.

Now Greece on the other hand...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

We shall see. The EU is likely to fall apart so I'm not as negative about British prospects as you seem to be.
I think this is the beginning of the end of the EU, I'm not sure what it means long term. I do tend to agree with you, though - I suspect in a few years we'll see a £ worth $2 again...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Germany will be fine. Their populace is much more united concerning the Eurozone, and Britain really didn't contribute a great percentage of their GDP to begin with. They, and the EU in general, are better equipped to absorb the shock this could cause than Britain.

Now Greece on the other hand...
No, that's my point - Germany has single-handedly floated the EU for a long time now. Without the UK to support the EU (both in funding and in guaranteed trade), I wonder if the German people won't be fed up. They've been pretty frustrated with their role as money bags recently - that won't decline anytime soon...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

I think this is the beginning of the end of the EU, I'm not sure what it means long term. I do tend to agree with you, though - I suspect in a few years we'll see a £ worth $2 again...
Agreed

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

Looks like Denmark or Sweden should be the next to leave.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

No, that's my point - Germany has single-handedly floated the EU for a long time now. Without the UK to support the EU (both in funding and in guaranteed trade), I wonder if the German people won't be fed up. They've been pretty frustrated with their role as money bags recently - that won't decline anytime soon...
This will shock the region economically in the short term. Germany's best interests in recovering from that shock involve keeping the Union intact. Maybe they drop the Euro in the future, lobby for less centralization, but leaving the Union itself is unthinkable. It would be an economic disaster that would wreck them and they know it.

It will be interesting to see what happens as the European banking industry shifts away from London to what will very likely be Frankfurt. Probably soften the blow a bit.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

This will shock the region economically in the short term. Germany's best interests in recovering from that shock involve keeping the Union intact. Maybe they drop the Euro in the future, lobby for less centralization, but leaving the Union itself is unthinkable. It would be an economic disaster that would wreck them and they know it.
I dunno - the world has changed, but Germany has actually fallen in the world economy rankings since they joined the EU...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

It will be interesting to see what happens to the markets now.:eek2:
dow futures are down around 500 points and the pound is down as well. it will be a rough few days at least in the markets.

it will be interesting to see if this turns out as an own goal for enlgand, as there are likely to be a lot of spillover effects.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

Glad to see them stand up and do what they had to do, tough I know.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I congratulate my English colleagues on saying no to nanny-state centralizers* in Brussels. They did this democratically, constitutionally and peacefully.
Consolations to my Scottish and Northern Irish colleagues. This will be a tough pill to swallow.

This frog just jumped out of the boiling pot. Good for them.

I would love an opportunity to do the same thing here.

* Some of these are not true. Corgis, for example, are not banned in the EU, but that is a believable position.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

dow futures are down around 500 points and the pound is down as well. it will be a rough few days at least in the markets.
That's not too rough. That put the DOW back where we a couple of months ago. Heck the market has been a yo-yo anyway this year. Just means it will be a good time to buy.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

That's not too rough. That put the DOW back where we a couple of months ago. Heck the market has been a yo-yo anyway this year. Just means it will be a good time to buy.
yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. i imagine that markets will over-react in the short term

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.