rip ralph stanley

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Arrrghhhhhh!!!!!

One of my favorites, and one of the last of the legends - some would say the last - of bluegrass.

RIP, Doctor.
this is oversimplifying a bit on my part, but there were (mostly) three "branches" of bluegrass; monroe (the granddaddy), flatt and scruggs, and the stanley brothers. i like them all, but most of my inspiration came from the stanley brothers branch.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
this is oversimplifying a bit on my part, but there were (mostly) three "branches" of bluegrass; monroe (the granddaddy), flatt and scruggs, and the stanley brothers. i like them all, but most of my inspiration came from the stanley brothers branch.
I agree with your breakdown. My inspiration would run about 30/30/40 on those branches. If not for Jimmy Martin, the first branch would be less. My current group is definitely in the Stanley camp.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree with your breakdown. My inspiration would run about 30/30/40 on those branches. If not for Jimmy Martin, the first branch would be less. My current group is definitely in the Stanley camp.
i was mostly flatt and scruggs and the stanleys. my dad grew up with them and listened to them a lot. we do a lot of stanley inspired stuff too. i always liked george schuffler's picking and integrate cross-picking in a lot of my rhythm playing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.