Your most recent gun purchase?

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Haven't recently purchased, but in the last couple years, acquired a Colt LE6920 M-4 civilian AR. Love my Springfield Armory XDM .45....Glock capacity, with the grip angle of a 1911.... For carry, I have an old FI industries .380....It is basically a baby 1911. In the late 60's, they were an import company that Colt went to, for them to mass produce the 1911 in small caliber. The company put out a few thousand frames, barrels and slides, then the deal fell through. They sold them for a couple years after. Mine has the serial number starting with a CPA (Colt Patented Arms) it is essentially the first gen of the Colt Pony.....I've had to work and polish the feed ramp to reliably shoot more aggressive hollow points like a hydra shock, but it's very reliable now.....

I won't further disclose my holdings, because...well, with all the talk of registering and an unknown future, I think it's best that I don't.......lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I am not a huge gun enthusiast, but very much appreciate reading everyone's preferences and acquisitions.

I have a Colt Commander that belonged to my step dad when he was in the CG and an old bolt action .22 rifle with a scope for plinking and such.

At some point, Id' like to visit the local gun range and get proficient with the Colt and maybe also get my carry permit.

But you know what...here's a little something I did buy recently to have fun with....it's a '74 in almost mint condition and runs like a little scalded cat! :)

You have a couple gems there Baza! That Colt commander will always be worth some serious money, and that is one sweet looking Honda XL!!!!! I'd love to have that bike!

I ride a Honda VTX 1300 custom.....I get the turned up noses from the Harley riders all the time. They say "Ride American".....I say...."I am!!!.....this bike was assembled completely in a factory in Ohio....with probably more American sourced parts than your Hog".......I still love the Harley's though, but I can't see spending the money on their V twin that USUALLY has to be built after 25-35k miles......while my bike has 50k I've put on it, and have only adjusted the valves, and changed oil.....I've done aftermarket work to make it perform better, but it wasn't necessary......

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
My last purchase was a Walther ppk 380. I wanted something that was easy to carry but also had some punch. Found out later that this was james bond's gun.:)

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I am not a huge gun enthusiast, but very much appreciate reading everyone's preferences and acquisitions.

I have a Colt Commander that belonged to my step dad when he was in the CG and an old bolt action .22 rifle with a scope for plinking and such.

At some point, Id' like to visit the local gun range and get proficient with the Colt and maybe also get my carry permit.

But you know what...here's a little something I did buy recently to have fun with....it's a '74 in almost mint condition and runs like a little scalded cat! :)

I havd one almost exactly like that when I was 14. I loved that old bike....

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My last purchase is a Glock 40 cal. I have a big collector friend that is going all 9mm so he sold me all his 40 cal rounds for half price. I bought 1000 rounds, got a great deal!
Me too. When I used to be in the market I liked to look at what the police departments were coming off of and get a deal. My last purchase was a Glock Model 25. I'm so satisfied with it, I doubt I will change for a good long while.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I haven't purchased any new firearms on a while, but I did recently upgrade my Chi-Com SKS with a collapsible Strike Force Elite stock kit and a 4-16x44 scope. It's much easier for me to grip now, and I'm able to place more accurate shot groups. Now I can hit a dime at over 200 yards. I love it.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I bought the .40 cal version a couple of months ago for my summer conceal carry gun. So far, I like it quite a bit and being a single stack, it's much easier to conceal wearing shorts and t-shirts than my Glock 27. The one thing I don't like so much are the magazines. Getting the last round in is much harder than it should be and the metal edges can cut. I don't find the trigger much different than my Glock, but it isn't quite as smooth.
You know you are allowed to leave one out :)

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Here are my last couple of acquisitions:

1. I traded a Ruger LCR .357 snubnose and a few bucks for a custom Para Big Hawg .45 - 1911-style pistol but with a doublestack magazine. Yep, 15 rounds (14+1) of big bore goodness. :cool: Paras can be "love 'em or hate 'em" for some, but mine has been great so far.

2. I built my own AR-15 in December (technically a Christmas present from my wife but I had to source it all of course!). If you've ever thought about it, do it. Lots of fun and I learned a lot, plus got exactly what I wanted and a fantastic rifle for the money. Lower parts: Seekins Precision lower receiver, Spikes lower parts kit, ALG Defense ACT trigger, Bravo Company buffer tube and buffer, Sprinco "blue" buffer spring and 5-coil extractor spring, Magpul ACS stock, Magpul K2+ overmolded pistol grip. On the upper, I ran across a deal at DSG Arms for an assembled upper with just about everything I wanted for a great price so I jumped on it. It's a midlength gas system upper with Rock Creek cut rifled 1:8 twist stainless barrel chambered in 5.56, Seekins Precision flat top upper receiver, and a Seekins 15" free float keymod handguard. I added a FailZero NiB bolt carrier group, a Bravo Company Gunfighter charging handle, a Primary Arms red dot (great value if you want a cheap red dot), Magpul backup flip sights, and a Bravo Company Gunfighter short vertical foregrip, plus a few Bravo rail covers to make the grip on the handguard more comfortable. Once I got it sighted in, it has been absolutely fantastic (after a little break in period anyway). I've probably got a little under $1k in it total and it is a joy to shoot - absolute tack driver off a bench rest.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here are my last couple of acquisitions:

1. I traded a Ruger LCR .357 snubnose and a few bucks for a custom Para Big Hawg .45 - 1911-style pistol but with a doublestack magazine. Yep, 15 rounds (14+1) of big bore goodness. :cool: Paras can be "love 'em or hate 'em" for some, but mine has been great so far.

2. I built my own AR-15 in December (technically a Christmas present from my wife but I had to source it all of course!). If you've ever thought about it, do it. Lots of fun and I learned a lot, plus got exactly what I wanted and a fantastic rifle for the money. Lower parts: Seekins Precision lower receiver, Spikes lower parts kit, ALG Defense ACT trigger, Bravo Company buffer tube and buffer, Sprinco "blue" buffer spring and 5-coil extractor spring, Magpul ACS stock, Magpul K2+ overmolded pistol grip. On the upper, I ran across a deal at DSG Arms for an assembled upper with just about everything I wanted for a great price so I jumped on it. It's a midlength gas system upper with Rock Creek cut rifled 1:8 twist stainless barrel chambered in 5.56, Seekins Precision flat top upper receiver, and a Seekins 15" free float keymod handguard. I added a FailZero NiB bolt carrier group, a Bravo Company Gunfighter charging handle, a Primary Arms red dot (great value if you want a cheap red dot), Magpul backup flip sights, and a Bravo Company Gunfighter short vertical foregrip, plus a few Bravo rail covers to make the grip on the handguard more comfortable. Once I got it sighted in, it has been absolutely fantastic (after a little break in period anyway). I've probably got a little under $1k in it total and it is a joy to shoot - absolute tack driver off a bench rest.
Sounds like fun. I've considered it, but I'm sure I couldn't convince the wife I "need" another one. I used to rent an office from a lady who owned the whole building and had reserved an office on the top floor which I rented, mostly to stash away the stuff she didn't want her husband to know she'd bought. (She had old family money and he was a grunt engineer.) That room was packed with Waterford crystal, silver and paintings. Once, she was in moving stuff around and, in an conversation, she commented that her husband didn't think she "needed" all that. Then, she said "I don't know what 'need' has to do with it." :)

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Sounds like fun. I've considered it, but I'm sure I couldn't convince the wife I "need" another one. I used to rent an office from a lady who owned the whole building and had reserved an office on the top floor which I rented, mostly to stash away the stuff she didn't want her husband to know she'd bought. (She had old family money and he was a grunt engineer.) That room was packed with Waterford crystal, silver and paintings. Once, she was in moving stuff around and, in an conversation, she commented that her husband didn't think she "needed" all that. Then, she said "I don't know what 'need' has to do with it." :)
Ha ha, my wife and I have had similar conversations. I said something to her not too long ago about how I'd like to buy a .22 pistol. She said "Do we really need another gun?" My response: "Well, I don't really need ice cream either, but a hot fudge sundae sure sounds good right now!"

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Ha ha, my wife and I have had similar conversations. I said something to her not too long ago about how I'd like to buy a .22 pistol. She said "Do we really need another gun?" My response: "Well, I don't really need ice cream either, but a hot fudge sundae sure sounds good right now!"
The one thing I tell my wife that I "need", she considers it a "want".:)

I have not obtained another gun in a long time but have recently started to think about it. I have not even started to research yet but I'm thinking of an AR-15 or maybe AR-10 so I'm interested in any words on favorite manufacturers and set-ups. My neighbor shoots a lot with his buddies including matches at his local gun range so I'll probe his mind a little.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

I have not obtained another gun in a long time but have recently started to think about it. I have not even started to research yet but I'm thinking of an AR-15 or maybe AR-10 so I'm interested in any words on favorite manufacturers and set-ups. My neighbor shoots a lot with his buddies including matches at his local gun range so I'll probe his mind a little.
Do you want to purchase off-the-shelf complete, complete build from parts, or something in between? And what kind of budget did you have in mind?

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Easy to clean: Steyr Aug
Hard to clean: AR
Doesn't care if you clean it or not: AK

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Are you telling me that you try to get permission first as opposed to going ahead and buying then asking for forgiveness later??? :biggrin2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's hard to go wrong with any of the top names. I'd consider the Colt 6920 as perhaps the best in class. The S&W M&P Sport is more budget-priced, but is also a good, solid gun...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.