Untold Stories of American Spies (CNN series)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Anyone else watching?

While I find it fascinating, especially given I am old enough to remember very well the cold war era, it also seems we are revealing a whole lot about all the covert activities we did.

Very interesting, regardless.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Anyone else watching?

While I find it fascinating, especially given I am old enough to remember very well the cold war era, it also seems we are revealing a whole lot about all the covert activities we did.

Very interesting, regardless.
I don't know if they covered Vasili Mitrokhin, but his was an interesting case.
KGB rep in Prague when the Soviets crushed the 1968 Czechoslovak Revolution. He did not like what he saw. He said some things that KGB leadership did not like, so, as punishment, he was assigned to the archives section at KGB headquarters. Disgruntled employee in the archives, what could go wrong?
He starts copying stuff and sneaking it out. Eventually he had milk jugs full of the stuff in his dacha. When the wall came down, he approached the CIA, who did not believe him, so he contacted MI6. They jumped at the chance. They got Mitrokhin and his family out, got the milk jugs full of KGB secrets out.
Some in the West (leftwingers, mostly. go figure) claimed he was not credible. His info was made up.
So Mitrokhin said, "Alright. I'll prove my stuff was correct. Go to this park in Austria. Find the gazebo. Walk 50 meters northwest and find a big birch tree. Under the birch tree you will find a cache."
So, MI6 did just that. They found a metal weather-sealed can, with a shortwave radio/transmitter, a code book, a pistol, explosives. Things that make you go, hmm...
Christopher Andrew (historian at MI6) has turned Mitrokhin's stuff into two books; The Sword and the Shield and the Mitrokhin Archive. Both long but good, if you are into real-world spy stuff.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
When the wall came down, he approached the CIA, who did not believe him, so he contacted MI6. They jumped at the chance.
I'm always disappointed to hear of situations where we failed to take advantage of an opportunity where national security is concerned.

But that's when having a great ally, such as Great Britain, helps.

Thanks for your post and info on the books, TW...very interesting!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm always disappointed to hear of situations where we failed to take advantage of an opportunity where national security is concerned.

But that's when having a great ally, such as Great Britain, helps.

Thanks for your post and info on the books, TW...very interesting!
Here's what you don't hear: the cases in which a Soviet intel guy approach the CIA and wanted to defect or sell them info, only to find out he knew nothing of value. Or the KGB got one of their real, still-loyal guys to approach the CIA and pose as a defector and volunteer information, only to find out later that the guy was a plant who gave them nothing value, but only wanted the US to tip its hand on procedures, or find out what the US already knew about the USSR. Get burned by those a few times and you get leery.
Mitrokhin was the real deal, however. And the sharing of info between MI6 and the CIA was probably valuable to us.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Being a fake defector would be a sweet deal. You remain loyal to your homeland but you get the benefits of living in America. Of course, if the CIA catches on, you might have an unfortunate accident.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Last night on CNN I watched Episode 1.....about Martha D. Peterson:

A recently retired CIA officer has spoken publicly for the first time about the 1977 arrest and eventual suicide of a Soviet double agent considered one of the Central Intelligence Agency’s most important assets during the Cold War. Aleksandr Dmitryevich Ogorodnik was an official in the Soviet diplomatic service who, while stationed at the Soviet embassy in Bogotá, Colombia, was compromised and later blackmailed by Colombian intelligence into spying on Moscow. Ogorodnik was initially handled by the Colombians, with little success. Later, however, when he was moved to a sensitive post in the Soviet Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow, the Colombians turned him over to the CIA. He was handled by CIA officer Aldrich Ames —himself a double spy for the Soviet KGB— who gave Ogorodnik the codename TRIGON. After establishing contact with him in Moscow, the CIA provided Ogorodnik with a miniature camera and other essentials, which he used regularly to take photographs of classified Soviet documents. As a go-between, the Agency selected Martha D. Peterson, the first female CIA case officer ever to be posted in Moscow. Peterson was a fresh CIA recruit, who had completed her Career Training program in 1974, less than a year before being sent to the Soviet capital. Having retired in 2003, after 31 years with the CIA, Peterson has now published a memoire entitled The Widow Spy. In it, she reveals that she coordinated regular dead-drops with Ogorodnik for nearly two years, picking up his used film while supplying him with fresh film and other espionage accessories.
It was fascinating to say the least.

New episodes air on Sundays at 10pm Eastern on CNN.

Tonight's episode (#2) is entitled "The Hunt for Sadaam".

There are 8 episodes all together and here is a guide to those.

I think it's pretty cool they started off the series with a Cold War episode.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.