Blog: Latest Bama News 6/27/2016 Thru 7/4/2016

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Re: Latest Bama News 6/27/2016 Thru 6/30/2016

[FONT=&quot]Could Alabama's backups beat an average FBS team? It sure looks like it! - SBNation.com-rbr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That's made the Crimson Tide both as talented in its starting lineup and as terrifyingly deep as any program in history, and certainly head-and-shoulders above most teams it plays in at least one of those two categories. It's why Alabama has been able to win without ever having a true star at quarterback, churn out the only Heisman winners in program history around a No. 3 draft pick at the same position, and reload a fearsome defensive line seemingly every fall. It got us wondering: Could Alabama's backups beat an average FBS team?[/FONT]
rbr op[FONT=&quot]AJ McCarron (and his ridiculous stats and hardware) would disagree about that whole "true star at QB" thing. But, I see what the general gist is: Alabama has won with quarterbacks as compliments to the team, not as necessarily the impetus of the offense. The premise is interesting: Take the talent and midrange F/+ of a median FBS team (here, NIU) and line them up 1-22 to see where it shakes it out. I'd take Alabama's backups, to be sure. But, it's hard to softsell experience and the fact that its not depth that wins games, it's elite depth. NIU may win on experience, but Alabama's third-teamers are still more talented than a MAC team.[/FONT]

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Re: Latest Bama News 6/27/2016 Thru 6/30/2016

[FONT=&quot]Phil Savage scouts Cooper Bateman at Manning Passing Academy-bol[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Senior Bowl executive director and former NFL GM Phil Savage has certainly seen plenty of Alabama’s Cooper Bateman. But he had another chance to scout the Alabama quarterback at the Manning Passing Academy, and he told Jox Radio’s The Roundtable about the experience.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“With Cooper, I think it’s pretty obvious that he’s an athletic player,” Savage said. “He of course, dabbled at wide receiver for a spell at Alabama. The short-to-intermediate stuff he seems to be pretty good at. Anything beyond 25 yards though, the ball seems to come apart on him for whatever reason. I don’t know technically why that would happen, I’ve never worked closely enough with him to know."[/FONT]
rbr op[FONT=&quot]That's not the most encouraging thing you'll ever read about the guy who looks to be at least the starter when the Tide meet USC at the Jerry Dome. A West Coast offense doesn't require a huge arm, but it requires hitting open receivers on Lane's favorite play to stretch the field: Sluggo. If Batemen doesn't win or keep the QB job the only thing stopping him are his physical limitations -- which every DC in the SEC is well aware of.[/FONT]

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.