Supremes strike down Texas abortion law 5-3

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/supreme-court-strikes-down-strict-abortion-law-n583001?cid=sm_tw

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday struck down one of the nation's toughest restrictions on abortion, a Texas law that women's groups said would have forced more than three-quarters of the state's clinics to shut down.

The decision was 5-3.

Read the Decision

Passed in 2013, the law said clinics providing abortion services must meet the same building standards as ambulatory surgical centers. And it required doctors performing abortions to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals.

Since the law was passed, the number of clinics providing abortion services in Texas dropped to 19 from 42. Opponents said that number would fall to ten if the Supreme Court upheld the law.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It's obvious that the primary purpose of the laws that were struck down is not to promote women's health, but to limit access to abortions.

It's similar to gun opponents pursuing firearm manufacturer liability as a way to circumvent the guaranteed rights they don't agree with.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's obvious that the primary purpose of the laws that were struck down is not to promote women's health, but to limit access to abortions.

It's similar to gun opponents pursuing firearm manufacturer liability as a way to circumvent the guaranteed rights they don't agree with.
that's not what texas' ag is telling us. he is saying that the federal government/scotus has taken the ability to protect women's health out of the hands of texas citizens.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I'd like to say I am surprised but I'm not. What is surprising is the celebratory tone of those who support the killing of innocent children. To underscore the depravity of the abortion industry in or country I will post the following here in the hope that it will give pause and consideration to how far this has gone and may go in the future.
May God forgive us all for the horrible acts we have allowed.

Shock: Students At New Mexico Summer Camp Given Aborted Babies' Brains To Dissect

Aborted infants whose gestation ranged from approximately 11.5 to 30.5 weeks, with many in the 14 to 18 week range. At least 20 aborted infants were past 20 weeks gestation. The infants described included infants with “clubbed feet,” aborted at 16 weeks gestation, a 22.5 week aborted infant with Down Syndrome, gestation, 20 week aborted twins with intact brains, a 25.3 week aborted female infant with an orofacial cleft, and a 30.5 week aborted “intact” infant.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/6942/shock-students-new-mexico-summer-camp-given-hank-berrien

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'd like to say I am surprised but I'm not. What is surprising is the celebratory tone of those who support the killing of innocent children. To underscore the depravity of the abortion industry in or country I will post the following here in the hope that it will give pause and consideration to how far this has gone and may go in the future.

Shock: Students At New Mexico Summer Camp Given Aborted Babies' Brains To Dissect

Aborted infants whose gestation ranged from approximately 11.5 to 30.5 weeks, with many in the 14 to 18 week range. At least 20 aborted infants were past 20 weeks gestation. The infants described included infants with “clubbed feet,” aborted at 16 weeks gestation, a 22.5 week aborted infant with Down Syndrome, gestation, 20 week aborted twins with intact brains, a 25.3 week aborted female infant with an orofacial cleft, and a 30.5 week aborted “intact” infant.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/6942/shock-students-new-mexico-summer-camp-given-hank-berrien
abortion is not the killing of innocent children. it is a medical procedure where a fetus is removed from the mother's womb.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL! You beat me to it. I posted a thread without refreshing. This decision takes down Alabama's similar law, which had already been suspended by a federal district judge...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I wonder how many "late term" abortions would have been performed earlier, if not for deliberate obstruction by those who oppose the practice altogether.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
abortion is not the killing of innocent children. it is a medical procedure where a fetus is removed from the mother's womb.
Did you read the article posted? If you can read that and not feel something for those innocent lives I am shocked and disappointed.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It's 'the woman'
Of course it's company policy never to imply personhood in the event of an abortion.
Always use the indefinite phrase 'the woman', never 'the mother'
Well, if a pregnant woman (mother) is shot/murdered and the fetus/baby doesn't live, then are these people saying that it's NOT a double homicide?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Did you read the article posted? If you can read that and not feel something for those innocent lives I am shocked and disappointed.
yes i read the article you posted. your second sentence is nice framing to try and portray those of us who believe that women should have agency over their own medical decisions as cold, heartless supporters of infanticide.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Might need to add "in accordance with US law" to the whole thing, too
The horrible atrocities committed by (some) Muslims are done so according to (their) Sharia law too. Do you condone their actions, which are many times similar to the violent act of late term abortion? How can we be so shocked by something no different than what we legalize by twisting the meaning of life?

I'll leave this now because I have made the points I wished to bring here in the hope it would generate compassion and consideration of the lives lost to abortion. Don't want to argue or offend.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The horrible atrocities committed by Muslims are done so according to (their) Sharia law too. Do you condone their actions, which are many times similar to the violent act of late term abortion? How can we be so shocked by something no different than what we legalize by twisting the meaning of life?

I'll leave this now because I have made the points I wished to bring here in the hope it would generated compassion and consideration of the lives lost to abortion. Don't want to argue or offend.
How can we be SO shocked at what happened in Orlando, but NOT be SHOCKED at ABORTIONS? I'm honestly shocked at both.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I would be more appalled at a system that would force women to give birth against their will to unwanted children than a system that routinely destroys the unborn.

The rights of the unborn just don't compare to the rights of those who are actually, and unquestioningly, people.

There's a big difference between being suctioned out of a uterus, and being snatched off a playground and decapitated.

Even if you viscerally, emotionally, feel they are the same, you're wrong, as evidenced by the deep divide in opinion on this topic.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The whole attempt to gloss over what abortion truly is reminds me of a conversation between Lindsay and Micheal on Arrested Development, over animal rights. Now, those of you who have never seen the show aren't going to have the context of the characters and their personalities, and that's unfortunate. But the point may still get across:

Lindsay Bluth Fünke: Leather chair? So you're against stealing, but skinning cows is cool with you.
Michael Bluth: I'm fine, by the way. Frankly, your concern is getting embarrassing. Since when are you against leather?
Mae "Maeby" Fünke: Yeah, you're not even a vegetarian.
Lindsay Bluth Fünke: I'm not against the insides. People need meat to survive.
Michael Bluth: You are aware that they don't remove it from the cow surgically, right?

Anyway, I've yet to see either side of this thing find any common ground. I'm not sure they ever will.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
No one, not even most abortion advocates, like late term abortions. Some of us would be perfectly happy if they never existed at all. But, there is occasionally medical necessity for them. Of course they are also exceptionally rare

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.