Indians And High Cheek Bones

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Well.....someone hadda bring this up.

Since Sen. Warren is serving as Hillary's attack dog on all things Trump, it's only fair her own claims are examined and investigated. She remarked in 2012 that her mother used to point at a picture of her dad and would say "high cheek bones" and that meant she was some significant percentage of American Indian, apparently without actually saying so. Of course, ancestry checks have returned no connection of Mrs. Warren to any Indian heritage. Yet she used this claim to secure a plum teaching job at Harvard back in the 90's.

I'm no expert or even well studied in the prominence of zygomatic arches in human facial features, and have been before now unaware this was a particular feature associated with Native Americans. Or even why it exists. Why would Native Americans have this feature and your garden variety European not? Is there something in the development of Indians that created this?

I would appreciate some enlightenment and also wonder how some of y'all feel about people who make exaggerated claims. Maybe Sen. Warren is just in NYBF's league and we are simply unaware and therefore unappreciative of her aura?

She does seem to exhibit "high cheekbones" in this photo. Or it may just be a liberal application of L'oreal.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Well.....someone hadda bring this up.

Since Sen. Warren is serving as Hillary's attack dog on all things Trump, it's only fair her own claims are examined and investigated. She remarked in 2012 that her mother used to point at a picture of her dad and would say "high cheek bones" and that meant she was some significant percentage of American Indian, apparently without actually saying so. Of course, ancestry checks have returned no connection of Mrs. Warren to any Indian heritage. Yet she used this claim to secure a plum teaching job at Harvard back in the 90's.

I'm no expert or even well studied in the prominence of zygomatic arches in human facial features, and have been before now unaware this was a particular feature associated with Native Americans. Or even why it exists. Why would Native Americans have this feature and your garden variety European not? Is there something in the development of Indians that created this?

I would appreciate some enlightenment and also wonder how some of y'all feel about people who make exaggerated claims. Maybe Sen. Warren is just in NYBF's league and we are simply unaware and therefore unappreciative of her aura?

She does seem to exhibit "high cheekbones" in this photo. Or it may just be a liberal application of L'oreal.

All I know is my Great Grandmother was a full blooded Indian. My wife committed after seeing a picture of my Great grandmother saying that is where you get your high cheekbones because in the picture she definitely has them. Don't know if just Indians have them but this is all I know about the subject.:)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
She remarked in 2012 that her mother used to point at a picture of her dad and would say "high cheek bones" and that meant she was some significant percentage of American Indian, apparently without actually saying so. Of course, ancestry checks have returned no connection of Mrs. Warren to any Indian heritage. Yet she used this claim to secure a plum teaching job at Harvard back in the 90's.
Another question might be why someone's racial make-up would be a criterion in deciding who gets a "plum teaching job" at the Little Red School House.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
What really matters is how she "self identifies". She could even be a Chief instead of a princess, I haven't heard her comment on that yet......(Or how that might giver her an edge)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I'm 1/16th Cherokee, verified. Great grandmother was born on a reservation, Cherokee dad-Caucasian mom. I look like a typical boring European. Big, dorky white guy.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I don't know from where it comes but I've heard my entire life that high cheek bones are an Indian, i.e. Native American, trait.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm 1/16th Cherokee, verified. Great grandmother was born on a reservation, Cherokee dad-Caucasian mom. I look like a typical boring European. Big, dorky white guy.
My great-grand parents were born in the 1820s in Cherokee territory when whites were not allowed to live there. It was "Bear's Village," present-day Brooksville, south of Guntersville. (John Gunter was a Cherokee chief who spoke not a word of English.) However, when my genome was run, it came back with only a small percentage of Cherokee. Since then, I've learned that certain whites, traders, missionaries, etc., were allowed to live there. Below are pix of my dad (B&W) and his brother (color). Cherokee friends in NC think my uncle looks like a full-blood...

Dad and Uncle Sam.jpg

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
My great-grand parents were born in the 1820s in Cherokee territory when whites were not allowed to live there. It was "Bear's Village," present-day Brooksville, south of Guntersville. (John Gunter was a Cherokee chief who spoke not a word of English.) However, when my genome was run, it came back with only a small percentage of Cherokee. Since then, I've learned that certain whites, traders, missionaries, etc., were allowed to live there. Below are pix of my dad (B&W) and his brother (color). Cherokee friends in NC think my uncle looks like a full-blood...

View attachment 2315
I don't know what my genome analysis might show. My Cherokee great-great granddad might well have had some Caucasian blood in him. My great grandmother had very native American features and coloring. All of the English, Welsh, Scott and Swedish genes have pretty much wiped out the native American features in me. My dad may have had a little of the features, but not much.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I've never really given it much thought that I have high cheek bones, but I've always called them "upper jowls" I tell my kids they're blessed with the "Speed cheeks" (my grandfather on my mom's side). But there's nary an Indian in my line that I am aware of. I thought maybe it developed through the generations from rapid movement of the cheeks as my forefathers chewed tobacco and the cheek bones moved upward. If I can attribute it to some Indian blood in me, that will explain a lot.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know what my genome analysis might show. My Cherokee great-great granddad might well have had some Caucasian blood in him. My great grandmother had very native American features and coloring. All of the English, Welsh, Scott and Swedish genes have pretty much wiped out the native American features in me. My dad may have had a little of the features, but not much.
I'm sure you can see what the Cherokee see in my uncle. BTW, I know that knocking Warren is the popular sport around here, but I don't have any problem seeing the NA heritage in her face, but I'm used to looking for it, in part because I have many Cherokee friends...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'm sure you can see what the Cherokee see in my uncle. BTW, I know that knocking Warren is the popular sport around here, but I don't have any problem seeing the NA heritage in her face, but I'm used to looking for it, in part because I have many Cherokee friends...
I have a friend who has similar features to Warren. Fair skin, blonde hair, very high check bones. Much of her family is from Norway though. I've heard the Sami people have the high cheek bone trait.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Sen. Warren is putting herself out there so it's all good. We also have 265 pages of Trump bashing, so there's plenty to go around. :)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Wasn't that statue made in China? Some pointed out that from a certain angle they could see a little resemblance to Chairman Mao.
Why Does Martin Luther King, Jr. Look Like Chairman Mao? (Part 1)

Oh man.

Kathleen Wells: So the bottom line is that the statue of the memorial of one of America's greatest heroes, Martin Luther King – the work to do that was outsourced to China. That's the bottom line.

Ed Dwight: That's basically the bottom line and the larger difficulty, because I was still involved, was that I was led to believe, for a time, that I was still the sculptor of record because I was going back and forth to Washington – the Chinese sculptor ended up here in my studio.

We had to bond this stuff and he and I became quite close. I have all of his stuff and he's got all of my portfolios. I'm the one that gave him all of the images of Dr. King – I gave him 100 images of Dr. King, three of my best books on King and two DVDs on King. So he could see King walk and make speeches and so he could learn his anatomy from that.

And I was supposed to be going over there and he was supposed to be working for me, and that's how the whole thing operated for quite some time. And months had gone, when I was going back and forth to Washington DC and these guys had not told me, that before the Chinese guy left the country, they had signed a contract and given the sculpture project to him – they didn't bother to tell me that.

And so, I'm still operating as if I'm the sculptor of record. I was supposed to go to China with them – on October 22nd, 2006. Two days before I was getting ready to leave for China, I got an email saying that, "Don't come this time because all we're going to do is pick granite, and we're not going to be doing anything else. We'll be going over there twice a month. As soon as they get back, yada, yada, yada... "

When they came back from China on that first trip, they came back here with an image of Dr. King made by this Chinese gentleman that looked like a gorilla. And so, at the end of a meeting, when in Washington, they pulled out the pictures to show, and that's when I learned that they have lied to me, that they have gone to China, they had hired the guy and they had four or five books of pictures of him. And then the end result was this hostile-looking, gorilla-looking man that was supposed to be Dr. King, with these deep-set eyes and the chin that stuck out like a gorilla.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.