Pat Summit Passes Away

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
She absolutely is a legend in the world of athletics, and as someone who has a mother who has been sick lately, I would like to send out prayers to her friends and family.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So very sad. It's a horrible disease but I believe she is at peace now. My prayers for the comfort of her family.

How I feel about Tennessee does not apply to Pat Summit, nor would it make me wish this horrible disease on anyone. But she made women's basketball, IMO. She is a legend. Godspeed and RIP, Pat.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
So very sad. It's a horrible disease but I believe she is at peace now. My prayers for the comfort of her family.

How I feel about Tennessee does not apply to Pat Summit, nor would it make me wish this horrible disease on anyone. But she made women's basketball, IMO. She is a legend. Godspeed and RIP, Pat.
Agree. I loved to watch Pat on the sideline. She was a cool coach.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Thanks TE, you saved me some typing.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
The world lost a great one today.....prayers to her family and Vols nation.

Reading the article, I came across this tidbit. Amazing.

Summitt's concern for her players extended to the classroom as well. All of the athletes she coached who completed their eligibility went on to graduate from the university

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm deeply saddened. I never knew Pat but I am close with people that are very close to her. Her strength of character is legend. Prayers for her family and friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Pat Summit was someone you just had to respect, even when her teams were kicking the crap out of yours. Hopefully, her legacy as great human and coach will live on for a long time.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

I feel the same way. I never put Pat Summit in the same category as UT football and always rooted for her teams.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Very sad to hear this this morning. I haven't been around many people who have this disease. How exactly does it kill you? And how did hers progress so quickly to where it killed her within a few years? I thought you could live with this a long time.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
RIP Pat. The lady was a class act. My granddaughter attended a couple of her basketball camps and she and my daughter spoke with her on several occasions. She always had time to talk to them which they truly appreciated especially knowing how busy her schedule was. Prayers to her family and loved ones.

Jessica,

Here is a link that might give you some information on it. http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_what_is_alzheimers.asp

Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, where dementia symptoms gradually worsen over a number of years. In its early stages, memory loss is mild, but with late-stage Alzheimer's, individuals lose the ability to carry on a conversation and respond to their environment. Alzheimer's is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Those with Alzheimer's live an average of eight years after their symptoms become noticeable to others, but survival can range from four to 20 years, depending on age and other health conditions.
Learn more: 10 Warning Signs and Stages of Alzheimer's Disease.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
Great coach. Great lady. One of her greatest players was Kara Lawson. I was a colleague of Kara's dad, Bill. Kara and Peyton were co-chairs of the Pat Summit Foundation. Bill and I were both born in Gadsden yet worked many miles away in Northern Virginia. He and I had many talks about sports and basketball, and his daughters (Kara has a sister who was also a BB player), and being from Alabama. He also spoke of the influence that Coach Summit had on his daughter.

RIP Coach

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Complete class act. She embodied the student-athlete coach or the kind of person you wish and hope your kids are coached by. Prayers for the family and those affected by this disease. 64 is too young let alone for a person of her stature. All the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.