Pat Summit Passes Away

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think I heard yesterday that every player she signed that played all 4 or 5 years for her at UT graduated. That's one heck of an accomplishment and I'm sure she was a big part of that. Class

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I received this email from my best friend this morning. He sent it to 10 recipients. He is a banker in Lynchburg, TN. He gets a lot of good perks banking in Lynchburg.

Anyway, I thought some might find this story interesting:

I know everyone has heard this morning Pat Head Summitt has passed away. I was on the Board of Directors of the Tennessee Young Bankers Division many years ago and Pat's husband at that time, RB Summitt, was the president of Tennessee Young Bankers. Wyanne (my friend's wife) and I shared many meals and lots of good times with RB and Pat and a very close Young Bankers board. In those days it didn't matter if you worked at different banks, you made close friends and Wyanne and I still get cards and calls from our banker buddies all across the state.

This morning while Wyanne and I were getting ready to leave the house we were both thinking about a retreat our board went on and at supper Pat stood up from the table and said with a STRONG, DIRECT voice, "I want all the ladies to meet me at 5:30 in the morning for a 1 mile power walk to warm up our legs and then finish with a 5 mile jog and we will have breakfast together after the run." Wyanne looked and me and I could see in her eyes it was like she wanted to yell out "what the hell!?"

I got to have a friend I will never forget. She was larger than life and when she came in the room you could just feel the energy. To my friend I can say this about her: if you looked in the dictionary for the word class, that's where her picture should be.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Totally agree with the positive thoughts about Pat Summit. One of the most important facts about Pat Summit that maybe not everyone knows is that 100% of her players graduated in 4 years. She pioneered women's college basketball. She still holds the record for total wins in all college basketball, men's and women's. RIP Pat

Major42fan

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2008
I have never, nor will I ever be a Viles fan. I am however, a Pat Summit fan. I have mad respect for the Lady, the program she built, and how she taught the game by teaching individuals character and discipline. Rumor was, several years ago she was asked if she would consider coaching the Viles men's team, to which she replied, " That would be a demotion". May God bless her family.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
So very sad. It's a horrible disease but I believe she is at peace now. My prayers for the comfort of her family.

How I feel about Tennessee does not apply to Pat Summit or Johnny Majors or even General Neyland, nor would it make me wish this horrible disease on anyone. But she made women's basketball, IMO. She is a legend. Godspeed and RIP, Pat.
I only wish that she had coached women's basketball at Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.