David Palmer Ranked #100 Best Bama Football Player?!?!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
i think that was the only time where i was pretty happy about a tie.
Agreed. We were totally outplayed that game. One small victory for me was the look of abject desolation from a UT fan near me who was yelling at the top of his lungs -- no words, just "YYYYAAAAHHHH!!!!" -- and waving a cowboy hat -- for 3 1/2 hours straight.

A fullback whose name currently escapes me (wore #35, I think -- Moorer? Morrow?). cleared a path one of my fellows in the OFC could have scored the 2 points on.

Late edit: Had to look it up. The number wasn't 35, but rather 31. Player's name was Marcus Moring.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We Bama Fans have been fortunate enough to have 2 of the absolute best kick returners the game has ever seen with Palmer & Arenas..I sure miss having Javy returning kicks & punts for TD's..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We Bama Fans have been fortunate enough to have 2 of the absolute best kick returners the game has ever seen with Palmer & Arenas..I sure miss having Javy returning kicks & punts for TD's..
Don't sleep on Cyrus Jones - he had as many punt returns for TDs as Palmer had (4) and he did so in about half as many attempts as Palmer (42 returns for Jones, 83 for Palmer):

David Palmer:

Cyrus Jones:

Attachments

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Don't sleep on Cyrus Jones - he had as many punt returns for TDs as Palmer had (4) and he did so in about half as many attempts as Palmer (42 returns for Jones, 83 for Palmer):

David Palmer:

Cyrus Jones:
You make a great & valid point Brad..What Cyrus did in '15 was as impressive of a year for any of returning kicks as any of them..

I also didn't realize how impressive of a career Christion Jones ended up having returning kicks for us..We've had some impressive return men at Bama..

Christion Jones Data Coverage (*=bowl stats included)

Kick RetPunt Ret
YearSchoolConfClassPosGRetYdsAvgTDRetYdsAvgTD
*2011AlabamaSECDL1213232.0033311.00
*2012AlabamaSECWR14821326.612121310.10
*2013AlabamaSECWR132263128.712332114.02
*2014AlabamaSECSRWR133785123.00191528.01
CareerAlabama68172725.426671910.93

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Palmer was a great player, but isn't it possible that 99 better players have come out of the state of Alabama?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Stats don't tell the whole story. You can see Palmer's greatness from how he played, the timeliness of his MVP type catches and runs and returns in crucial games where our offenses were not even mediocre. He was a MAJOR THREAT every time he 'got loose' as he weaved and dashed and bounced around like a pinball getting extra yard after extra yard. He put FEAR into the opponents. He was a MAJOR factor in tandem with the defenses in 1991-1992 that allowed us to go 24-1 in those two seasons and a 28 game undefeated untied streak going into the 1993 which carried onto a 30-0-1 streak.

Here's a very short Bio of sorts:

1991 - 314 Rec Yards 3TD , 156 Rushing Yards 1TD, 386 Punt Return Yards 3TD, 257 Kick Return Yards 1TD, 15 Passing Yards 0TD
1,128 Total Yards 8TD's

Signature Moments were a 90 Yard Punt Return TD against Tenn in a game that ended 20-17. In the Bowl game against Colorado he went off with 146 All-Purpose Yards and 2 TD's including a 52 yard Punt return TD that set the tone and a Rec TD for our Final score to narrowly win 30-25. As a Freshman he was the Leading WR, PR, and KR and 3rd on the team in yards from Scrimmage. He was so deathly scary in space that everyone kicked away from him the next 2 years.

1992 - 297 Rec Yards 1TD , 164 Rushing Yards 0TD, 236 Punt Return Yards 1TD, 145 Kick Return Yards 0TD, 0 Passing Yards 0TD
842 Total Yards 2TD's

Signature Moments were a 63 Yard Punt return TD in a NAILBITING game against LA Tech that was only 6-0 Bama late in the 4th Qtr. This was also his return from a 3 game suspension which plays a part in his season stats being lower his Sophomore year. He dropped 101 Rec yards on Florida in the SECCG and He also had a big 38 yard Punt return in the 1993 Sugar Bowl to set up the first score on Miami and set the tone a bit that we came to win.

1993 - 1000 Rec Yards (Bama Record at the Time) 7TD's , 278 Rushing Yards 0TD, 244 Punt Return Yards 0TD, 439 Kick Return Yards 0TD, 260 Passing Yards 2TD's

2,221 Total Yards 9TD's
Consensus All-American - Paul Warfield Award (Top WR) - Heisman Finalist (3rd)
The highest an
Alabama player had ever finished at that point.

Of Course the Signature moment here was down 17-9 on the 17 yrd line with 1:44 to go Palmer has 3 Rec for 44 yards and then the HUGE 2-Point conversion RUN to keep the 28 game undefeated streak intact. Just 2 weeks earlier in yet ANOTHER Stallings era nailbiter he wrecked Ole Miss with 243 All-Purpose yards (38 Rushing, 54 Passing, 76 Recieving, 34 KR, and 41 PR) in a 19-14 win.

When his time was over he finished with 4,491 Total Yards and 19 TD's and did it all EVERY way possible. He was a THREAT to Receive, Run from the backfield or from under center at QB, Return Punts and Kicks and even Pass when needed. He was our Deadliest WR ever in a Season during 1993 and set 4 Records.

Most Receiving Yards and Catches in a Season (1,000) and (61) in 1993 which is even more impressive when Barker and Burgdorf only combined for 2,058 passing yards on 146 completions. He also caught 7 or their 8 Total passing TD's.

Highest YPC in Season with a minimum of 50 REC's (16.4) 1993

Most Receiving yards in a single game (217) 1993

I'm still not doing him justice though. You had to SEE him play and the affect he had in games when our offenses were VERY conservative and average at best. He never had close to the type of surrounding talent we have had lately. He was ELECTRIC and sparked not only the crowd but the team. I'll say this. IF he had come back in 1994.... He would have won our 1st Heisman and we also would have won the National Championship and he would have set some records that would still be standing.

He is at LEAST a Top 10 All-Time player for Bama. Putting him at 100 just makes that list hot garbage before it could even get started.

Last edited:

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
The most exciting Alabama football player I've seen......EVER! I recall when the moniker "The Duece" was bestowed on him by Doug Layton. It was a punt return against Tulane and Dougie doo shouted "The Duece is Loose"!

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Agreed. We were totally outplayed that game. One small victory for me was the look of abject desolation from a UT fan near me who was yelling at the top of his lungs -- no words, just "YYYYAAAAHHHH!!!!" -- and waving a cowboy hat -- for 3 1/2 hours straight.

A fullback whose name currently escapes me (wore #35, I think -- Moorer? Morrow?). cleared a path one of my fellows in the OFC could have scored the 2 points on.
Martin Houston.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
This list got even more laughable when they rated Roddy White ahead of Julio Jones. AL.com needs to implement random drug screens for sure.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The entire list is a joke. Saw one Al.com writer say they will release the ranking system and criteria used this Friday. He made some mention about it being "accomplishment" based instead of eye test. I don't know what that means if Amari Cooper is the 65th best football player associated with the state after all of the records he broke in only three years of college football.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Yah, I'm not trying to take away from any of them, just pointing out that Palmer @ #100 could possibly be accurate.
CA, I hate to disagree with you, but putting David Palmer #100 is like putting the Beatles #10 on a list of greatest rock bands. I'm not just talking about punt returns, but everything. David Palmer took over several games and won them for The University of Alabama. There's not 99 other players who did that at the UofA.

Without him, we probably don't win the 92 natty. We don't beat Ole Miss in 93 and we certainly don't come back against Tennessee that year. Coach Stalling said had he put Palmer in at QB earlier against LSU in 93, we would have won that game.

He had all his accomplishments with Jay Barker as a QB and Mal Moore (RIP) as an offensive coordinator. Had he come back his senior year in 1994 with Homer Smith as our OC, we would have beaten Florida in the SEC Championship and won another natty. He probably would have shattered many more records and possibly won the Heisman.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CA, I hate to disagree with you, but putting David Palmer #100 is like putting the Beatles #10 on a list of greatest rock bands. I'm not just talking about punt returns, but everything. David Palmer took over several games and won them for The University of Alabama. There's not 99 other players who did that at the UofA.

Without him, we probably don't win the 92 natty. We don't beat Ole Miss in 93 and we certainly don't come back against Tennessee that year. Coach Stalling said had he put Palmer in at QB earlier against LSU in 93, we would have won that game.

He had all his accomplishments with Jay Barker as a QB and Mal Moore (RIP) as an offensive coordinator. Had he come back his senior year in 1994 with Homer Smith as our OC, we would have beaten Florida in the SEC Championship and won another natty. He probably would have shattered many more records and possibly won the Heisman.
The list isn't about the top 100 University of Alabama football players. It's a ranking of the top 100 football players associated with the state (high school or college).

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
The list isn't about the top 100 University of Alabama football players. It's a ranking of the top 100 football players associated with the state (high school or college).
That changes nothing IMO, I still think he is in the top 10. Like I said, there aren't 99 better athletes from this state who could take over games and finish #3 in the Heisman ballot playing in a Coach Stallings system.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Palmer coming back in 1994 is one of the great what ifs of my lifetime. I do think he puts us over the top against Florida. As for winning an NC? Well you had Penn State obligated to the Rose Bowl to play Oregon. That still would have occurred. Nebraska, as part of the Bowl Alliance (Big Ten and Pac Ten weren't members) could have gone to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama. Maybe Selma can help here. I think Alabama was ranked #3 going into that Florida game. That ranking would have held with a win. I think the Sugar Bowl would have been #2 Nebraska, and #3 Alabama. I'm not sure we could have beaten the Huskers. But this wasn't the juggernaut Nebraska that crushed Florida the next season, so maybe we would have had a shot. I think we would have garnered at least a share of the title if Penn State had also beaten Oregon as they did in reality.

As for this ranking, I agree Palmer should be higher. But as electric and exciting as he was, I'm not sure he should be top 10. Just from off the top of my head, I'd rank Amari Cooper, Julio Jones, Derrick Henry, Cam Newton, Bo Jackson, Shaun Alexander, Chris Samuels, Barrett Jones, Derrick Thomas, and Cornelius Bennett higher than The Deuce. But he'd be at least top 25, IMO.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Palmer coming back in 1994 is one of the great what ifs of my lifetime. I do think he puts us over the top against Florida. As for winning an NC? Well you had Penn State obligated to the Rose Bowl to play Oregon. That still would have occurred. Nebraska, as part of the Bowl Alliance (Big Ten and Pac Ten weren't members) could have gone to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama. Maybe Selma can help here. I think Alabama was ranked #3 going into that Florida game. That ranking would have held with a win. I think the Sugar Bowl would have been #2 Nebraska, and #3 Alabama. I'm not sure we could have beaten the Huskers. But this wasn't the juggernaut Nebraska that crushed Florida the next season, so maybe we would have had a shot. I think we would have garnered at least a share of the title if Penn State had also beaten Oregon as they did in reality.

As for this ranking, I agree Palmer should be higher. But as electric and exciting as he was, I'm not sure he should be top 10. Just from off the top of my head, I'd rank Amari Cooper, Julio Jones, Derrick Henry, Cam Newton, Bo Jackson, Shaun Alexander, Chris Samuels, Barrett Jones, Derrick Thomas, and Cornelius Bennett higher than The Deuce. But he'd be at least top 25, IMO.
We lost by one point to Florida that year and had the ball on the final drive with a deadly FG kicker in Michael Proctor. I am sure having Palmer in that game would have been worth more than a point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.