Favorite Underdog Win for Bama

tidegrandpa

All-American
Don't ask me why--the 1983 Sun Bowl win over SMU, 28-7, comes to mind. Those of you who were not around then, SMU was one of the best programs in the country at the time and we were given little chance against Bobby Collins' mustangs that year. Not only did we win but we won convincingly.
I remember, cold as the devil in Texas that year, snow on sidelines in El Paso.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
We were favored against LSU in 2012.
LSU was, however, ranked #1 and some believed they were the GOAT before the game kicked off. I was going based on ranking and reputation, not Vegas odds. I have no clue who was favored in the '79 SB. However, since Alabama was easily favored by most honest people in the 2013 BCSCG I did not include that win among my favorites (although it is one of my favorites) in these rankings. That shows my inconsistency, but it is what it is. Still, LSU opened as the favorite before the line later moved slightly in Alabama's favor.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i don't remember if we were a dog in the game or not. but i remember it was a pretty big deal when we went up to happy valley and won in 87

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
The 1976 Liberty Bowl...I think we were underdogs to UCLA, I may be wrong, but Bama thumped the Bruins 36-6. I remember Coach Bryant wearing that red toboggan and Barry Krauss returning an INT for a TD. My apologies if Bama was favored. Aside from this one, the 1971 So Cal game and, of course, the 1993 Sugar Bowl. It was such fun watching all of the Miami players look like they were caught in a nightmare and couldn't wake up.
Also, was Bama the underdog in the 2001 Iron Bowl? I think we were, it was great to watch another 31-7 win 30 years after beating AU by the same score in '71.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
9-6 vs Tennessee. I believe that was an upset that year. Field goal to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are talking about the 1990 game, I think that is the one Lee Corso said we would get beat like a high school team or some other such nonsense.

Another I haven't seen mentioned is the 2001 Iron Bowl. Auburn was 7-2 and seems like in the driver's seat for the West division. We were 4-5. This was the year of 9/11, and all games that weekend had been postponed until the week after the regular season. We had Southern Miss left and seems like Auburn had to play LSU. Anyway, Andrew Zow starts over an injured Tyler Watts, Ahmaad Galloway and Santonio Beard both go over 100 yards rushing, and Zow has a beautiful TD pass to Jason McAddley just before halftime to break a 7-7 tie. We went on to win 31-7. We beat Southern Miss the next week to get bowl eligible, and Auburn lost to LSU and ended up 7-4 and out of the SEC title game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That was a great game. Ended UF's long home winning streak. I was watching it at one of my dad's friend's house that afternoon.
that was one of the few times i didn't think we had a chance to win. was driving to alabama to visit family that day and watched the first half at my cousin's house in jasper, drove to my folks house during half time and got there about mid-way through the 3rd quarter. i couldn't believe it when they fumbled the punt in the 4th quarter.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If you are talking about the 1990 game, I think that is the one Lee Corso said we would get beat like a high school team or some other such nonsense.

Another I haven't seen mentioned is the 2001 Iron Bowl. Auburn was 7-2 and seems like in the driver's seat for the West division. We were 4-5. This was the year of 9/11, and all games that weekend had been postponed until the week after the regular season. We had Southern Miss left and seems like Auburn had to play LSU. Anyway, Andrew Zow starts over an injured Tyler Watts, Ahmaad Galloway and Santonio Beard both go over 100 yards rushing, and Zow has a beautiful TD pass to Jason McAddley just before halftime to break a 7-7 tie. We went on to win 31-7. We beat Southern Miss the next week to get bowl eligible, and Auburn lost to LSU and ended up 7-4 and out of the SEC title game.
i remember bentley beard from that game ;)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
LSU was, however, ranked #1 and some believed they were the GOAT before the game kicked off. I was going based on ranking and reputation, not Vegas odds. I have no clue who was favored in the '79 SB. However, since Alabama was easily favored by most honest people in the 2013 BCSCG I did not include that win among my favorites (although it is one of my favorites) in these rankings. That shows my inconsistency, but it is what it is. Still, LSU opened as the favorite before the line later moved slightly in Alabama's favor.
Penn St was the favorite. I don't remember the spread.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Don't ask me why--the 1983 Sun Bowl win over SMU, 28-7, comes to mind. Those of you who were not around then, SMU was one of the best programs in the country at the time and we were given little chance against Bobby Collins' mustangs that year. Not only did we win but we won convincingly.
Oh, I remember that one. One-loss SMU was bitterly complaining about having to stoop to play a 7-4 Alabama squad, and we flat out hammered them--Jumped out to a 28-0 halftime lead and coasted from the there.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
^^^This^^^

I argued with my friend and long time LSU game companion who is giving me 50 kinds of $#*+ for "becoming an Alabama fan." He said no worthy LSU fan would ever pull for Alabama under any circumstance. I reminded him of the 2001 Iron Bowl and how a Bama win could put LSU in position to go to the SECCG if they beat the Barn. We cheered on Bama to victory. The next week, AU stomped on the Eye at midfield of Tiger Stadium and it's the first time, maybe only time, that I have seen an unsportsman like penalty called before the game started. Since the penalty was assessed, LSU kicked off from the 50 to start the game and Saban called for the on side kick to start the game and the rest, as they say, is history.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
66 Orange Bowl win over Nebraska was a goodie. We were outweighed by 40 or 50 lbs per man. But we were quicker.

71 over SC turned things back around.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.