Favorite Underdog Win for Bama

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
one cool thing about this thread. it has been forever since we have had to think of ourselves as an "underdog"
That's where my thoughts were going.

I was thinking if you asked a young Bama fan, perhaps a current student, which was their favorite, I expect first you might have to explain what the term underdog means, and how it could possibly have anything to do with Bama's football program.

"There have been periods in Bama's history...post-Bryant and pre-Saban, when Alabama was not favored to win every game. I know that's hard to imagine these days, but that's the way it was."

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Probably 2008 vs Clemson, and/or 2008 vs Georgia. No one expected us to be so radically improved from 2007. I remember watching the Clemson game and rubbing my eyes to make sure these were the same players from the year before. Clemson was the shocker, and Georgia was the exclamation point. And we haven't looked back since. Really haven't been the underdog since, either.

2005 vs Florida would probably be up there, because it was the high-water mark offensively for that season and for the first time in a long time I was able to brag on my team at school. I never actually got to watch the game though, only heard about it afterwards on the radio. So I won't count it as my favorite underdog win.

I was too young to really remember our good years in the 90s, so by the time I became more aware of football we were...less than stellar as a program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 Florida game, probably mainly because I was there. So much frustration released in that game, and BDS had never been louder (probably hasn't been since, either, two expansions notwithstanding).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup..That's my favorite Bama "Underdog" win as well..Just cause of the hilarity of Urban's halftime interview & his "Deer In The Headlight" look..Pure awesomeness..

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Yup..That's my favorite Bama "Underdog" win as well..Just cause of the hilarity of Urban's halftime interview & his "Deer In The Headlight" look..Pure awesomeness..

One of my favorite video clips!

I would also throw in '99 against MSU at home to clinch the West. Can't remember if we were underdogs for sure; but MSU was undefeated and we had just been through so much from 97 until that point. And the Bulldogs had that stupid sideline dance they did. At that time, the end of that game was the loudest I had ever heard BDS.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
September 10, 1971, vs USC, a huge 17-10 victory

The Trojans were ranked #16 and Bama was coming off of two straight 6 win seasons. More than a few folks were saying maybe Coach Bryant was past his prime, couldn't relate to young players of the day (remember that era?).

I remember listening to the game and John Forney on the radio that (Friday) night. Bama surprised them by coming out in the wishbone offense, and Bama was Back! This was Coach Bryant's 200th win. The next day Coach celebrated his 58th birthday.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To me, it would have to be USC in 71, because I believe we were 17 point underdogs and the upset win launched an entire decade of dominance and three national titles. I was listening to Forney on the radio. Incredible memory.
Miami in the 92 Sugar a very very close second, and one of the most dominant defensive performances I've ever seen in person. I still think that, under the circumstances, George Teague's strip of Lamar Thomas was the greatest individual play I've ever seen by a college football player.
Believe it or not, number three for me is probably beating Tennessee 9-6 in 1989, Coach Stalling's first season as coach.
We were 0-3, and Philip Doyle's last play field goal turned the season around. We ended up 7-5, but a lot of people thought we were going to be 0-11. Always great to beat the Vols.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'd have to say the 99 humbling of SOS for the SECC, maybe not the biggest, but the most satisfying.

I really can't consider a team with as as good of a D as the 92 team ever being an underdog.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We could go all offseason with slight variations on this:

Most significant upset.
Most satisfying upset.
Most satisfying win, whether an upset or not.
Favorite game, upset or not.
Favorite game personally attended.

My votes:
Most significant upset: Tie between 1/1/26 Rose Bowl, 1971 USCw, and 2008 Clemson. After a few ripples in years leading up, including an upset of Penn in Philadelphia when they were a national powerhouse, the Rose Bowl after the 1925 season made the nation take no-foolin notice. The 1971 USCw upset set the stage for the program for decades to come. After being downtrodden for the better part of a decade (flashes excepted), the resounding statement against the CU-Tigers still reverberates today.

Most satisfying upset: As several posters have mentioned, the 2005 Florida game. Urban Meyer learns his plans aren't, as he specifically stated earlier that week, "infallible." The first of two spectacular clock-cleanings he took at the hands of an underdog Alabama team. Not ranked higher in significance because, as it turned out, it was more of a flash than the beginning of a trend.

Most satisfying win: BCS NCCG after the 2011 season against LSU, in New Orleans. Before that game, a lot of people thought they were the best college football team of all time. Afterward, nobody thought they were the best team in the SECW that year.

Favorite game, upset or not: Sugar Bowl after the 1992 season. Had it all...underdog, opponents with an arrogance of caricature-ish proportions, on the national stage, for the National Championship.

Favorite game personally attended: 1985 Auburn. Van Tiffin's kick only capped what was an incredible fourth quarter. I was on the Auburn side of the stadium (long story, had to do with a girl pre-Mrs. Basket Case), and the girl and I were the only happy ones within 30 seats in any direction. Oh, my goodness, that was sweet....the win, not the girl. Turns out she had snakes in her head...anacondas. Hugely memorable, but not rated higher because we'd already lost a few games, and the season did not include a championship.

The best thing, though, is to have been born an Alabama fan, to have the history we have, and to have been blessed enough to have seen so much in my lifetime -- some on television, much of it live and in person.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.