Favorite Underdog Win for Bama

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
After listening to news clips of the Icelandic announcer's euphoric description Iceland's shocking soccer win over Great Britain, I was reminded of the sheer joy that comes with a major upset. Bama fans don't often get that opportunity these days.. (I'm not complaining though). Just wanting to reminisce a bit, what's your favorite upset win for Bama?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
From personal memory, I really can't choose between Southern Cal in the Colosseum in 1971, and the Sugar Bowl against Miami in the 1992 season's National Championship game.

For before my time, the 1/1/26 Rose Bowl (end of the 1925 season) against Washington.

Still one of the all-time great post-game exchanges between head coaches:

Washington HC Enoch Bagshaw: "Nine games out of ten, we'd have beaten you."

Alabama HC Wallace Wade: "We didn't come out here to play no damn see-rees."

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Don't ask me why--the 1983 Sun Bowl win over SMU, 28-7, comes to mind. Those of you who were not around then, SMU was one of the best programs in the country at the time and we were given little chance against Bobby Collins' mustangs that year. Not only did we win but we won convincingly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1993 Sugar Bowl - we ended the Miami dynasty, even if "The U" movie won't admit it.

And the 1984 Iron Bowl

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Beating Miami for the '92 championship.
2nd place....blowing out Florida in the '99 SEC Championship game.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
vs Miami 92 ... that one was the ultimate. They were cocky and loud.

Runner up: vs Florida 09 - Florida's team that year was a really great team. I honestly thought this was Urban's best team at Florida -- better than the one the year before.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Mine is the Southern Cal game in 1971. My daughter was born the next week and it was just a happy time for my family. Little did we know the dominance that we would have for the next 10 years! RTR!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My favorite 2 underdog wins both come that the expense of the Hurricanes:

1993 Sugar Bowl - Alabama destroys Miami for the National Championship - Miami was an 8 point favorite
2003 Fiesta Bowl - OSU's double OT win for the National Championship - Miami was an 11.5 point favorite

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Don't ask me why--the 1983 Sun Bowl win over SMU, 28-7, comes to mind. Those of you who were not around then, SMU was one of the best programs in the country at the time and we were given little chance against Bobby Collins' mustangs that year. Not only did we win but we won convincingly.
that is mine too. my uncle (sort-of jokingly) promised to give my brother, my two cousins and me each $100 if we won that game in his dramatic eeyoring before the game. of course, after the game, he didn't remember his promise :)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think that is the game I have watched while doing Christmas @ the in laws in Huntsville. IIRC it was freezing cold with flurries in El Paso while we were 75+ with windows and doors open on Christmas Eve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Probably 2008 vs Clemson, and/or 2008 vs Georgia. No one expected us to be so radically improved from 2007. I remember watching the Clemson game and rubbing my eyes to make sure these were the same players from the year before. Clemson was the shocker, and Georgia was the exclamation point. And we haven't looked back since. Really haven't been the underdog since, either.

2005 vs Florida would probably be up there, because it was the high-water mark offensively for that season and for the first time in a long time I was able to brag on my team at school. I never actually got to watch the game though, only heard about it afterwards on the radio. So I won't count it as my favorite underdog win.

I was too young to really remember our good years in the 90s, so by the time I became more aware of football we were...less than stellar as a program.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Mine was the 92 championship against Miami. As someone said "they were loud and cocky for sure" but the thing that really made it sweet was the LA newspaper article that some sportswriter had wrote. He berated us for even being in the game. He said we had no business being in the game. Many people felt the same way across the nation and gave us no chance. I literally sat on the edge of my parents couch the entire game because Miami had such a prolific offense and could literally score in two to three plays and often did.

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL
2005 Florida game, probably mainly because I was there. So much frustration released in that game, and BDS had never been louder (probably hasn't been since, either, two expansions notwithstanding).

Me too.........This is my favorite because I was there. The energy in the stadium was crazy!! Of course, the stadium went from super loud to pin drop quiet when Prothro went down.

The 92 championship is a close runner-up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.