9 Year Old Questioned by Police over comment about "Brownies"

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.philly.com/philly/educat...o_a_South_Jersey_third_grade_class_party.html

On June 16, police were called to an unlikely scene: an end-of-the-year class party at the William P. Tatem Elementary School in Collingswood.

A third grader had made a comment about the brownies being served to the class. After another student exclaimed that the remark was "racist," the school called the Collingswood Police Department, according to the mother of the boy who made the comment.

The police officer spoke to the student, who is 9, said the boy's mother, Stacy dos Santos, and local authorities.

Dos Santos said that the school overreacted and that her son made a comment about snacks, not skin color.
"I'm not comfortable with the administration [at Tatem]. I don't trust them and neither does my child," she said. "He was intimidated, obviously. There was a police officer with a gun in the holster talking to my son, saying, 'Tell me what you said.' He didn't have anybody on his side."
Oh boy.....

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Clearly, the offended student needed a safe space to retreat to. I see this as the fault of the school for not anticipating this microaggression.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
When I was nine, if offered a brownie would have requested a girl scout...
But I did grow up on a military installation.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
What if they had been served blondies instead? Would that be racist or sexist? Would Deborah Harry be offended?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Why were the police even called? Every single administrator at that school needs to be fired and replaced with competent individuals capable of handling petty disputes between children.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why did they call the cops? Even if the kid called someone the n-word, I don't see why that would be a reason to involve the police.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.