Can Les save his job?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
9+ wins and he is safe. It would be so moronic for them to fire him with no one good out there. They should get rid of cam Cameron though
I agree with you on Cameron. But I do think there are a few coaches out there that appear to be really good up and coming candidates. The guy at Houston, in particular. But he's only been a HC one year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree with you on Cameron. But I do think there are a few coaches out there that appear to be really good up and coming candidates. The guy at Houston, in particular. But he's only been a HC one year.
Herman might be the best up and coming coaches but rumor has it that he is eyeing Texas or aTm as his next job.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Les is a really good coach. They'd be crazy to fire him if he doesn't have an utterly disastrous season.
A lot of so called experts have them finishing as high as number one, but I think their QB situation makes that impossible.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Les is a great head coach but he's swung and miss on the offensive situation quite a bit since Jimbo Fisher left. It isn't a stretch to say that LSU would have at least one more national title if their offense was more consistently productive.

They haven't done a good job developing QBs and/or recruited busts out of high school. Their best QB since Flynn was a transfer from Georgia (Mettenburger). Unfortunately for LSU, Mett's great senior season happened to coincide with possibly the worst defensive unit Miles has fielded.

And the thing is, the coordinators have changed but the look and statistical production of the offense has not changed. Miles' early LSU teams were very much like what Saban has sought with McElwain, Nussmeier, and Kiffin: formation multiple, good balance, strong running game. Their offense has devolved into this old school Big Ten style power I-form scheme. At some point you have to blame this on Miles because the longer he's been at LSU the further they've gotten away from the framework left by Saban/Fisher which produced some pretty potent offenses even into the Miles era.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Les is a great head coach but he's swung and miss on the offensive situation quite a bit since Jimbo Fisher left. It isn't a stretch to say that LSU would have at least one more national title if their offense was more consistently productive.

They haven't done a good job developing QBs and/or recruited busts out of high school. Their best QB since Flynn was a transfer from Georgia (Mettenburger). Unfortunately for LSU, Mett's great senior season happened to coincide with possibly the worst defensive unit Miles has fielded.

And the thing is, the coordinators have changed but the look and statistical production of the offense has not changed. Miles' early LSU teams were very much like what Saban has sought with McElwain, Nussmeier, and Kiffin: formation multiple, good balance, strong running game. Their offense has devolved into this old school Big Ten style power I-form scheme. At some point you have to blame this on Miles because the longer he's been at LSU the further they've gotten away from the framework left by Saban/Fisher which produced some pretty potent offenses even into the Miles era.
He does indeed need to get away from that one dimensional offense. They have wide receivers who are way too talented to be as under utilized as they almost always are.
When you have Reuben Randle and Odell Beckham at wide out and a college secondary(us) can shut down your passing game, something's wrong.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I was in my cocky early 30's when I joined this site and I am now 50! I am man +. History has often repeated itself. No need to go into the middle of the pack history of LSU, what CNS did, and how CLM's has attempted to keep the flame. This is very reminiscent of Tubbergate, in that it became emotional, people flopped sides because the admin mishandled. Those independents will leave camp Les if he does not 1. come close to a western championship this year and beat Bama or 2. Win the West in two years. He is destined to be the next Lou Hotlz. which is not a bad thing.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with y'all that Les is a really really good college HC, I'd go so far as to say, he's the most likeable HC in the game today..He's the one HC I truly hate to see becoming one of the HC's that's been "Processed" cause I honestly respect the man, but, at the end of the day & at the end of the upcoming season..If he doesn't beat Bama & win the West..Les will be the next victim of Bama's success & will be "Processed" if he doesn't do exactly that..

Our success at Bama is the kiss of death to HC's of our rivals in The SEC..It is what it is cause I'm sure enjoying all the NC's under Coach Saban & hope it continues for 10 more years at the very least..

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Les Miles is still the coach because Jimbo Fisher's agent backed off and that is the long and short of it.
I disagree with this. There were a lot of factors in play. Jimbo was starting to second guess, Sexton saw LSU as desperate and figured he'd up the ante and deman another million per year as that certainly would make jimbo more at ease. He outbid himself. The big money donors that were putting up the buyout and new salary also have big egos, no surprise, that's everywhere. With LA's economy depressed by the low oil prices and the state and university in a fiscal mess (although LSU is building a 90 million dollar lazy river, but that's another story) - the big money guys and ultimately the administration pulled the plug. All of this was fueled by the massive support of Les by the fans in the week leading up to the final game.

Can he save his job? If he lets his coaches to their job, LSU will be in the hunt come early November. If LSU beats Bama, the train will be hard to stop. Lose and it will depend on how he and the team respond. Repeat last year's collapse and adios. If LSU rebounds from a Bama loss and is still "in the conversation", he'll be fine.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Other than his desire to stay at LSU, I don't think Les has to worry one way or the other. There are a lot of other programs that I believe would love to have him.
I keep reading this line, but truth be told if the other programs want him , 1. do they have the talent or recruiting tools to win consistently?? 2. very few programs in D1 can win at that level even with loaded talent. 3. LSU has everything Les needs to win big every year, yet he was almost fire last season. 4. what makes any coach attractive to other programs is consistent success, in that regard Les has underachieved with everything at his disposal.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I keep reading this line, but truth be told if the other programs want him , 1. do they have the talent or recruiting tools to win consistently?? 2. very few programs in D1 can win at that level even with loaded talent. 3. LSU has everything Les needs to win big every year, yet he was almost fire last season. 4. what makes any coach attractive to other programs is consistent success, in that regard Les has underachieved with everything at his disposal.
How many coaches have beaten CNS 3 times? Or better yet how many coaches have done a better job in the SEC west in the last 10 years than Les? And are there better coaches out there that want to compete against CNS?

I think les is the best coach they have and can get at this point. Outside o Herman there aren't really names jumping out at you. Everyone was high on jumbo but never question how many years he underachieved in a crappy conference. I'm not sure if taking a gamble in the dark is really smart.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
How many coaches have beaten CNS 3 times? Or better yet how many coaches have done a better job in the SEC west in the last 10 years than Les? And are there better coaches out there that want to compete against CNS?

I think les is the best coach they have and can get at this point. Outside o Herman there aren't really names jumping out at you. Everyone was high on jumbo but never question how many years he underachieved in a crappy conference. I'm not sure if taking a gamble in the dark is really smart.
Les Miles 3 victories vs Nick Saban led Alabama team:

2007: 1st year at Alabama
2010: Alabama loss by 3 points . DeAngelo Peterson went 23 yards with a reverse on fourth-and-1 to set up Stevan Ridley's go-ahead 1-yard plunge in the fourth quarter to seal the win. Alabama was leading in the game at that point in Baton Rouge.
2011: 5 missed FGs . enough said.

look, Les is a good coach, no denying that at all. but considering what he has every year at LSU, in my opinion he has underachieved. not just because he has loss to Alabama for the last 5 straight games, but since 2007 when CNS arrived, he has a losing record to Arkansas ( 4-5) , he is ( 5-5 ) vs Ole Miss. his only dominance over a top tier team in the SEC West is over Auburn ( 7-2) during that span. CNS over 9 years is undefeated vs Arkansas, 7-2 vs OM, 6-3 vs Auburn in that same span.

furthermore, LSU is only 2nd behind Alabama in recruiting in the whole SEC for the last decade. you can also make a point that LSU was ahead of Alabama in recruiting before CNS got the well oiled machine rolling.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I go back to a question Cecil Hurt asked about Alabama in 2006:

Does LSU have the best coach it could have? Nothing else matters.

For Alabama the answer was a resounding "No" and what followed has been beyond words.

For LSU I believe the answer to be a resounding "Yes" and their future is in play based on the actions they take.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20061118/NEWS/61118010

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Les Miles 3 victories vs Nick Saban led Alabama team:

2007: 1st year at Alabama
2010: Alabama loss by 3 points . DeAngelo Peterson went 23 yards with a reverse on fourth-and-1 to set up Stevan Ridley's go-ahead 1-yard plunge in the fourth quarter to seal the win. Alabama was leading in the game at that point in Baton Rouge.
2011: 5 missed FGs . enough said.

look, Les is a good coach, no denying that at all. but considering what he has every year at LSU, in my opinion he has underachieved. not just because he has loss to Alabama for the last 5 straight games, but since 2007 when CNS arrived, he has a losing record to Arkansas ( 4-5) , he is ( 5-5 ) vs Ole Miss. his only dominance over a top tier team in the SEC West is over Auburn ( 7-2) during that span. CNS over 9 years is undefeated vs Arkansas, 7-2 vs OM, 6-3 vs Auburn in that same span.

furthermore, LSU is only 2nd behind Alabama in recruiting in the whole SEC for the last decade. you can also make a point that LSU was ahead of Alabama in recruiting before CNS got the well oiled machine rolling.
Well what coach outside of CNS is better than les, and what coach out there can turn LSU around without it being a huge gamble. Everyone is quick to say getting rid of a coach is the answer, but when it happens it usually brings more doubt.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Points 1 and 2 would only affect CLM's decision to go to a particular school, but has nothing to do with another school wanting him. On point 3, he was not fired, even though many wanted him fired because of two things, (1) he couldn't beat Bama, and (2) his offensive philosophy. As far as point 4 is concerned, in the last 10 years, he has won 10 or more games in seven of those years. IMO, that's very consistent for the SEC.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
LSU is a top 15 program while Les is a top 10 coach. Which one will come out smelling like a rose after this season? I think after a solid 10 0r 11 win season Lester leaves for greener pastures where he won't have to play runner up to Saban every year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I disagree with this. There were a lot of factors in play. Jimbo was starting to second guess, Sexton saw LSU as desperate and figured he'd up the ante and deman another million per year as that certainly would make jimbo more at ease. He outbid himself. The big money donors that were putting up the buyout and new salary also have big egos, no surprise, that's everywhere. With LA's economy depressed by the low oil prices and the state and university in a fiscal mess (although LSU is building a 90 million dollar lazy river, but that's another story) - the big money guys and ultimately the administration pulled the plug. All of this was fueled by the massive support of Les by the fans in the week leading up to the final game.

Can he save his job? If he lets his coaches to their job, LSU will be in the hunt come early November. If LSU beats Bama, the train will be hard to stop. Lose and it will depend on how he and the team respond. Repeat last year's collapse and adios. If LSU rebounds from a Bama loss and is still "in the conversation", he'll be fine.
The chatter I've heard from LSU fans I know is that Miles is meddling too much with the implementation of the offense. It is weird because his Okie Lite teams were pretty multiple and so were his early LSU teams. Now he's seemingly regressed to his old school Michigan roots. I'm guessing you think much the same as I've heard from others?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.