Happy Secession Day

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
DoI said:
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
The government had become abusive, intolerably abusive, so the people of the American states fired that government and created a new one for themselves.

That is the American ideal. We can fire our government. Not just vote the abusers out, but abolish this government and create a new one.

Secession has been good for the colonies, and good for Great Britain.

So, Happy Secession Day.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I found this (again) recently.
Joseph Galloway was a Pennsylvania-born Loyalist, a partisan of the Crown. When things went pear-shaped (from his perspective) in 1778, he left America for England. The House of Commons invited him to testify before their Committee on the Americas about what was going on in North America. Here is an excerpt from that testimony.
Examination of Joseph Galloway, in 1779.
Extracts from "The Examination of Joseph Galloway, Esq., late Speaker of the House of Assembly of Pennsylvania, before the House of Commons, in a Committee on the American Papers"—Mr. Montagu in the chair. June 16, 1779:
"Question.—How long have you lived in America?
Answer.—I have lived in America from my nativity to the month of October last, about forty-eight years. ...
Question.—At the beginning of the present rebellion, when the inhabitants took up arms, had the people, in general, independence in view?
Answer.—I do not believe, from the best knowledge I have of the state of America at that time, that one-fifth of the people had independence in view. ...
Question.—That part of the rebel army that enlisted in the service of the Congress, were they chiefly composed of the natives of America, or were the greatest part of them English, Scotch and Irish?
Answer.—The names and places of their nativity being taken down, I can answer the question with precision. There were scarcely one-fourth natives of America—about one-half Irish—the other fourth were English and Scotch."*
Now, that was one snapshot of one army at one point in time, but those numbers are remarkable. 50% Irish? (and that probably included a healthy number, perhaps a majority of Irish Protestants, since Philadelphia was the major port of debarkation for the Scotch-Irish in America).
Next you feel grateful for your independence, find an cantankerous Irishman and thank him.

* John Brown Dillon, Notes on Historical Evidence in Reference to Adverse Theories of the Origin and Nature of the Government of the United States of America, (New York: S. W. Green, 1871), 56.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You know how to live.
I have wanted to buy one of those contraptions, but Mrs. Tidewater thinks that would be silly.
Then again, I have to say that chopping wood the old-fashioned way is a great way to relieve stress. After the 2010 Iron Bowl , I chopped a lot of wood.
The only way I could possibly cut and split all that I do would be if I had nothing else to do, and that's not going to be true any time soon...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.