Netflix Docuseries on East Mississippi CC "Last Chance U" Trailer

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I wonder about him too. Looks to me like he couldn't beat out a kid that only had an offer from MC. Not sure what to think of that...
I just don't know... I'm shocked at Wyatt Roberts too. THis dude started over Franklin and sat behind Chad Kelly and he couldn't get but one offer from schools? I feel bad for him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My greatest impression from this series - a reminder of just how entitled athletes are. I am amazed that coaches are able to manage these egos.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The documentary is great and well directed, but I wonder if it affects them negatively for recruiting purpose. Those that are coming back for second year at East Miss, I wonder how much it'll affect going forward with schools recuiting them after seeing the documentary. The backup Running back Isiah Wright will get lot more offers before it's over and said.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We have family hunting land in Kemper County. Driving through Scooba or DeKalb, you wouldn't expect a football stadium like that. There really is nothing around.
No, there isn't anything around. But there's been some amazing athletes come through that place. I was there when Antowain Smith came through there. He ended up going to Houston Cougars and eventually played in the NFL and won a Super Bowl with the patriots. I remember one time some of the football players and us (baseball players) got into a little testosterone contest and they challenged us "weak" baseball players to a game of tackle football behind the dorms. They brought Antowain and thought we were going to punk out. But when we started laying Antowain out by having two dudes hit him high while another hit him low (around the knees). It didn't take long for one of the football trainers to come sprinting across the lot and put a stop to all of that. We got chastised pretty good. LOL! Can't hurt the show hawg before Thursday night's game. LOL!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just don't know... I'm shocked at Wyatt Roberts too. THis dude started over Franklin and sat behind Chad Kelly and he couldn't get but one offer from schools? I feel bad for him.
EMCC listed him at 6'0, 195. He's probably shorter than that. If he was determined to get a SEC offer or nothing else (insinuated by the academic adviser), he wasn't going to get an offer at that height.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
EMCC listed him at 6'0, 195. He's probably shorter than that. If he was determined to get a SEC offer or nothing else (insinuated by the academic adviser), he wasn't going to get an offer at that height.
That is the sense that I got, too. My wife said that she thinks that he was smart to hang it up. Her POV - why continue to risk injury when it is clear that your future is not in football.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Russell Wilson was 5"11, 210lb when he was in college. What about Drew Brees, Micheal Vicks, and others? I realized Those played in different conference, and you may be right on this assessment, but I feel like He could've got at least one offer somewhere outside the SEC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The documentary is great and well directed, but I wonder if it affects them negatively for recruiting purpose. Those that are coming back for second year at East Miss, I wonder how much it'll affect going forward with schools recruiting them after seeing the documentary. The backup Running back Isiah Wright will get lot more offers before it's over and said.
To be fair, the kids that they spent the most time following have seen that ship sail. I know that I didn't see a single player highlighted that I would want on my team.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My father-in-law (Lester Smith) played at Scooba in the 60's and was an all-American QB. He's in the EMCC HOF (among many others as a coach (including the AHSAA HOF) or player and played for their unique and legendary coach Bull Sullivan.

SI's Frank Deford wrote a long-form article about 30 years ago on Coach Sullivan and two pages of the article are about my F-I-L. The stories he tells us are really unbelievable about what they went through and are in many ways similar to what Coach Bryant put the players through in Junction. So many of the guys he played with came from nothing, went to a "nothing" JC, and then went on to be "something." Tough is an understatement about those players.

I haven't seen this film yet and I'm guessing it focuses more on their recent successes but they have a LONG history of giving guys opportunities who otherwise had none. I'll watch it this week.

If you want to read the SI article, it is here and is titled "The Toughest Coach there ever was":

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
My pa-in-law played there ~1949-50. He was on the team that went active duty when the Korean conflict broke out. 95 players went active duty! (There's a monument to them on campus with their names on it. I need to go see it, esp. since Papa's faith became sight last September.)

Papa served as a front-line combat medic & remembered the sound of machine gun bullets flying all around him as he was tending to a wounded soldier. He also spoke of watching the enemy just line up across the valley & start walking toward them, figuring the Americans would run out of bullets before the Koreans/Chinese ran out of men. (He had other combat memories that are just beyond imagination.)

Somehow, I missed this series, so mrs. exiled & I will be teeing it up on Netflix soon. Thx for the thread!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My pa-in-law played there ~1949-50. He was on the team that went active duty when the Korean conflict broke out. 95 players went active duty! (There's a monument to them on campus with their names on it. I need to go see it, esp. since Papa's faith became sight last September.)

Papa served as a front-line combat medic & remembered the sound of machine gun bullets flying all around him as he was tending to a wounded soldier. He also spoke of watching the enemy just line up across the valley & start walking toward them, figuring the Americans would run out of bullets before the Koreans/Chinese ran out of men. (He had other combat memories that are just beyond imagination.)
Nice that they have a monument to those boys who signed up.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The documentary is great and well directed, but I wonder if it affects them negatively for recruiting purpose. Those that are coming back for second year at East Miss, I wonder how much it'll affect going forward with schools recuiting them after seeing the documentary. The backup Running back Isiah Wright will get lot more offers before it's over and said.
I don't think it will. SEC coaches have been directing kids to Mississippi JuCo's for as long as I can remember. I went to one of the other JuCos on Highway 45, Northeast MS CC.

I think "Last Chance U," could be filmed at any of the JuCo's throughout the state. That was the feeling I got during my 2 years down there. SEC coaches have to send non-qualifiers, or second chance guys somewhere, and Mississippi has been doing the JuCo game better than any other for a long time.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Much respect to your Papa. My Great Uncle served 4 tours in Vietnam with the Big Red One as a combat medic. I'm surprised he would even talk to you about all of that as most can't or don't want to. Luckily for my Uncle (he lives near Ft. Jackson) he found a vet support group and they talk about things like that and how to cope and get over PTSD.

As for JFIII, he seemed like a total moron to me who has a bigger mouth than skill.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Watched the first episode today. Some of those kids are coming from nothing and making something of themselves. I don't envy the job the academic advisor has to do there. A really tough job getting these kids D1 ready(assuming she's actually doing what she says she's doing).

On the coach- he reminds me of Rush Propst for some reason. I agree with others. I wouldn't want my son playing for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My wife and I both said the same thing in the first episode. By the end of the series we were wondering how any school could allow him to be their head coach.
we are two episodes in and i mentioned to my wife last night that this coach is not very good at game management (i'm guessing as i watch more, i will find some other things he's not good at).

my guess is that he ends up at ole miss or the barn coaching them

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Much respect to your Papa. My Great Uncle served 4 tours in Vietnam with the Big Red One as a combat medic. I'm surprised he would even talk to you about all of that as most can't or don't want to. Luckily for my Uncle (he lives near Ft. Jackson) he found a vet support group and they talk about things like that and how to cope and get over PTSD.

As for JFIII, he seemed like a total moron to me who has a bigger mouth than skill.
my paternal grandfather was a medic in europe in ww2. unfortunately, he died in a car wreck when my mom was 11. i can't imagine the stuff he did.

that franklin kid seems like a perfect fit for auburn.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
"Last Chance U" ?! Community Colleges aren't universities. No, not dissing comm colleges. They serve a important role.

Don't care if it is only a semi-clever title. It isn't a "U". :conf2:
"Last Chance Community College" just didn't have the same ring to it!

Only saw the first episode so far. It was pretty good.

Had to laugh when the coach mentioned the biblical origin of his middle name.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just finished. Man, that coach lost his players' respect, lost control of his team.
Holy moly, when teams fire coaches and they say, "We need a change of direction," but, man, it sure looks like that was a program that a change of direction.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.