Netflix Docuseries on East Mississippi CC "Last Chance U" Trailer

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure I enjoy knowing how the sausage gets made.
For all the talk about Buddy Stephens being horrible, he's more likely the norm than many want to think.

How often do we see coaches in a practice or locker room setting like we see in the show? Very little if at all.

Shows like this do a great job showing us what we want to see... Until we see it and realize we probably wish we had not seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For all the talk about Buddy Stephens being horrible, he's more likely the norm than many want to think.

How often do we see coaches in a practice or locker room setting like we see in the show? Very little if at all.

Shows like this do a great job showing us what we want to see... Until we see it and realize we probably wish we had not seen it.
I agree, and my high school head coach was exactly like this guy on the practice field. He was as mean as then come in training. But he never blamed the players the way that this guy does constantly through this series for things that happened during games. This guy never had his players' backs, and he was never encouraging when a player made a mistake. Unless the editors of this series had it in for this guy, he is a toxic person who uses players for his own purposes, not to help them in any way.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I agree, and my high school head coach was exactly like this guy on the practice field. He was as mean as then come in training. But he never blamed the players the way that this guy does constantly through this series for things that happened during games. This guy never had his players' backs, and he was never encouraging when a player made a mistake. Unless the editors of this series had it in for this guy, he is a toxic person who uses players for his own purposes, not to help them in any way.
He's horrible at giving advice or contructive criticism too. Time after time he went into a ballistic rage of obcenities that amounted to just cussing and yelling for the sake of cussing and yelling. He never really suggested how to correct a certain actions in specifics. Like 'you are doing this action wrong because of this reason and THIS is what you need to do to correct it'. It was always more of him cursing in riddles using every curse word in the book as nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives etc etc. I know most coaches curse for emphasis but good coaches usually pepper them in along with the actual specific advice you need. I guess I'm trying to say he's more like a Maniac Boot Camp Drill Sgt. all the time than a 'Coach'.

But my main problem is his conflicting messages. He does all kinds of 'teaching' from the Bible and praying and whatnot but tells guys to go get hotel rooms for girls.

He goes crazy off on the whole team calling them some pretty bad 'trigger' words for getting baited into that bad brawl when HE did the exact same thing with a Ref earlier in the season.

He apologized later but it was too late. You don't call your players 'Rednecks' and 'Thugs' EVER. He lost the whole team's respect. That brawl was horrible but those guys seemed to do the best they could to hold back when they were being cheap shoted the whole game....then when they see DJ Law getting curb stomped and the refs not stopping it they reacted how they should....protect your brother...your teamate. I felt so bad for those guys. You never ever want a fight like that on the field but that other team was DIRTY. They were laughing and smiling on the sideline after they cheap shotted players...and just continued baiting and baiting until 3 guys were just stomping on DJ Law. It was just a horrible deal all around.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's horrible at giving advice or contructive criticism too. Time after time he went into a ballistic rage of obcenities that amounted to just cussing and yelling for the sake of cussing and yelling. He never really suggested how to correct a certain actions in specifics. Like 'you are doing this action wrong because of this reason and THIS is what you need to do to correct it'. It was always more of him cursing in riddles using every curse word in the book as nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives etc etc. I know most coaches curse for emphasis but good coaches usually pepper them in along with the actual specific advice you need. I guess I'm trying to say he's more like a Maniac Boot Camp Drill Sgt. all the time than a 'Coach'.

But my main problem is his conflicting messages. He does all kinds of 'teaching' from the Bible and praying and whatnot but tells guys to go get hotel rooms for girls.

He goes crazy off on the whole team calling them some pretty bad 'trigger' words for getting baited into that bad brawl when HE did the exact same thing with a Ref earlier in the season.

He apologized later but it was too late. You don't call your players 'Rednecks' and 'Thugs' EVER. He lost the whole team's respect. That brawl was horrible but those guys seemed to do the best they could to hold back when they were being cheap shoted the whole game....then when they see DJ Law getting curb stomped and the refs not stopping it they reacted how they should....protect your brother...your teamate. I felt so bad for those guys. You never ever want a fight like that on the field but that other team was DIRTY. They were laughing and smiling on the sideline after they cheap shotted players...and just continued baiting and baiting until 3 guys were just stomping on DJ Law. It was just a horrible deal all around.
I guess I should go back and rewatch it. I don't remember Buddy doing the bible lessons. Thought it was the OC.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I guess I should go back and rewatch it. I don't remember Buddy doing the bible lessons. Thought it was the OC.
IIRC, it was the OC.
Buddy seems to need to grow a lot. I understand challenging young men, but he gave them obscenity-laden diatribes, and when he called them "rednecks" and "thugs," he lost the team.

On a related note, I would bet the NJCAA will relook how refs control a game that seems prone to get out of hand. The refs in this game lost control. When the cheapshots came, the refs went passive and the EMCC players were faced with the choicer between watching a teammate get stomped on the field or intervening. The refs should have seen this coming and intervened more strongly. The league should have seen this coming (play-off bound team with a high-powered offense versus "going nowhere" bitter rival) and should have had more cops on the field.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IIRC, it was the OC.
Buddy seems to need to grow a lot. I understand challenging young men, but he gave them obscenity-laden diatribes, and when he called them "rednecks" and "thugs," he lost the team.

On a related note, I would bet the NJCAA will relook how refs control a game that seems prone to get out of hand. The refs in this game lost control. When the cheapshots came, the refs went passive and the EMCC players were faced with the choicer between watching a teammate get stomped on the field or intervening. The refs should have seen this coming and intervened more strongly. The league should have seen this coming (play-off bound team with a high-powered offense versus "going nowhere" bitter rival) and should have had more cops on the field.
And the trainer being punched during warmups should have been more than enough evidence more support was needed.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

It was the OC. I did find it amusing Buddy would go on profanity laced tirade and then lead the team in the Lord's Prayer, haha.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
And the trainer being punched during warmups should have been more than enough evidence more support was needed.

This is what I didn't understand. The opposing team players punched a coach. A coach! And there seemed to be no consequences for the other team. Should have called in more security at that point.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
IIRC, it was the OC.

i didn't like the oc one bit. the head coach liked to give tons of diatribes, but he didn't do anything to help the team be successful. his coaching amounted to telling an un-disciplined but semi-talented player "go out there and do what you do"

and watching some of the replays of the fight, the refs seemed to want to sit back and watch the kids fight.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is what I didn't understand. The opposing team players punched a coach. A coach! And there seemed to be no consequences for the other team. Should have called in more security at that point.
yeah, i don't know why that game was allowed to start in the first place. the trainer had to get stitches

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
Enjoyed the series. Very entertaining. Brittany was the bright spot, pretty hot too. I agree with most of you guys on here- JF III cannot throw the deep ball with any kind of accuracy. Funny how he can't beat out another guy at a JUCO school and yet AU wants him b/c he played a good half against a team that Vandy would wipe the field with. Gonna be interesting if he's their starter vs. Clemson. If I were an AU fan- I'd rather have Wyatt.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Enjoyed the series. Very entertaining. Brittany was the bright spot, pretty hot too. I agree with most of you guys on here- JF III cannot throw a football with any kind of accuracy. Funny how he can't beat out another guy at a JUCO school and yet AU wants him b/c he played a good half against a team that Vandy would wipe the field with. Gonna be interesting if he's their starter vs. Clemson. If I were an AU fan- I'd rather have Wyatt.
fify ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
yeah, i don't know why that game was allowed to start in the first place. the trainer had to get stitches
Yeah, I would expect an equipment/trainer needing stitches before the game even started to be a bad indicator of trouble ahead.

... Unless you're in a prison league.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
JF III cannot throw the deep ball with any kind of accuracy. Funny how he can't beat out another guy at a JUCO school and yet AU wants him b/c he played a good half against a team that Vandy would wipe the field with. Gonna be interesting if he's their starter vs. Clemson. If I were an AU fan- I'd rather have Wyatt.
I would only say that JF III did not show in the documentary that he is a serious threat throwing the ball. He might be fine as a passer, I just did not see anything in that film series that would lead me to worry about his passing.

(Napoleon said, "If you see your enemy making a mistake, do not interfere.")

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Just watched the 1st episode on lunch break and was surprised no one here mentioned Clint Trickett as the QB coach.

I always liked Clint and hope he's able to parlay that job into something a bit more - uh- savory.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.