The First Major News Story You Remember

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
As far as a first Alabama memory, while i was aware of the Sugar Bowls of the late 70's, I do not recall appreciating what the wins meant. I recall my parents being ecstatic and me wearing a slew of Alabama shirts, sent to us by my Grandmother, once school started back up. In particular I recall a crimson shirt with white lettering that said " Hold on Bear, I'm on my way".

My first real memory related to Alabama football was the 1981 Cotton Bowl. We were still fairly new to Dallas and my parents jumped at the chance to go to the game. We had been living in Iowa since 1973 and my Dad had not been to an Alabama game since 1970, so it was a big deal that we now lived in a city that hosted a major bowl game with even the potential for an Alabama game. I honestly do not recall much about the game itself, rather the pep rally a day or two before. It was held at the still relatively new, and quite fancy to me, Hyatt Regency Hotel. If you have ever seen the opening to the show Dallas, you have seen the Hyatt. It is the big shiny glass exterior building next to the structure that looks like a golf ball on a tee.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
On the national level, probably Hurricane Hugo. We moved from Charleston to Alabama a few weeks earlier, and my dad JUST left days earlier (he went back to be there for the movers). I was 7 at the time so this made a huge impression on me. I was worried about our friends, about our house (which I didn't know at the time that my parents closed on the morning Hugo hit at midnight) and just the city I was born in being wiped off the map--that's how I thought at 7 I guess.

Internationally (and with bigger implications), the fall of the Berlin Wall a few months later.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As far as a first Alabama memory, while i was aware of the Sugar Bowls of the late 70's, I do not recall appreciating what the wins meant. I recall my parents being ecstatic and me wearing a slew of Alabama shirts, sent to us by my Grandmother, once school started back up. In particular I recall a crimson shirt with white lettering that said " Hold on Bear, I'm on my way".

My first real memory related to Alabama football was the 1981 Cotton Bowl. We were still fairly new to Dallas and my parents jumped at the chance to go to the game. We had been living in Iowa since 1973 and my Dad had not been to an Alabama game since 1970, so it was a big deal that we now lived in a city that hosted a major bowl game with even the potential for an Alabama game. I honestly do not recall much about the game itself, rather the pep rally a day or two before. It was held at the still relatively new, and quite fancy to me, Hyatt Regency Hotel. If you have ever seen the opening to the show Dallas, you have seen the Hyatt. It is the big shiny glass exterior building next to the structure that looks like a golf ball on a tee.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The Nixon resignation.....only remember it from my Dad's reaction....I would have been 6....

As far as understanding what was happening......

Reagan getting shot....
The Challenger exploding....
The Atlanta Child Murders.....

All of those had impact on me....at a time when I was in Junior high....and started to understand that the world was not safe....

I remember being home alone (I had been sick) -- and watching President Reagan being shot.....it was very scary....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.