Question: From a Clemson fan- "Do y'all think Dabo is the real deal?"

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Definitely a good start. To be the real deal, he has to sustain success through the turnover in staff and roster that is just part of college football.

In particular, how does he do post-DeShaun Watson?

We won't know for sure about Dabo until after the 2017 season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He won a lot of games with Tajh Boyd...and Boyd was often a point of weakness in their big games.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
As the grandson of a man that played at Clemson, and who kept up with them.........there is no doubt that Dabo is the real deal. Many people do not realize that Clemson is the Alabama of South Carolina and SC is the Auburn. While Dabo is not my cup of tee in style, he is a heck of a coach. Unless you believe he is Hugh Freeze in steroids, I am not even sure why this is a question. Clemson has been consistently good since he took over as interim. And while they had break down in the NC game, they play well in all facets of the game and have stability, I do not foresee a hit or miss over who is the quarterback, like at Auburn dictating them continuing to be a top 10 team. Baring something crazy, he has established himself and Clemson as top end for the foreseeable future. He is in a great spot for regional recruiting. He put Spurrier out of business with his recruiting.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As the grandson of a man that played at Clemson, and who kept up with them.........there is no doubt that Dabo is the real deal. Many people do not realize that Clemson is the Alabama of South Carolina and SC is the Auburn. While Dabo is not my cup of tee in style, he is a heck of a coach. Unless you believe he is Hugh Freeze in steroids, I am not even sure why this is a question. Clemson has been consistently good since he took over as interim. And while they had break down in the NC game, they play well in all facets of the game and have stability, I do not foresee a hit or miss over who is the quarterback, like at Auburn dictating them continuing to be a top 10 team. Baring something crazy, he has established himself and Clemson as top end for the foreseeable future. He is in a great spot for regional recruiting. He put Spurrier out of business with his recruiting.
Clemson is Auburn with a lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It would be hard to argue that Dabo isn't the real deal. He has done an outstanding job at Clemson, and he gave us all we wanted and more in the national title game.
I think Lane Kiffin will be our next head coach, but I think Dabo will definitely be considered.
sip

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It would be hard to argue that Dabo isn't the real deal. He has done an outstanding job at Clemson, and he gave us all we wanted and more in the national title game.
I think Lane Kiffin will be our next head coach, but I think Dabo will definitely be considered.
sip
Now that, Sip, should start a thread all of its own!!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
He's the real deal at Clemson, not sure how he would do in the SEC West.
I agree with this and would add Clemson is the real deal in the ACC. They have facilities, money and a cult-like following second to none. I believe Dabo and Clemson are a perfect fit playing the Wake Forest's of the world and just needing to knock off Florida St. to make the play-off every year. I say this after being someone that used to like Dabo/Clemson until I realized just how arrogant they all are last season.

No Dabo to Bama please.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
L'est not forget, that if it weren't for a bad call when they played North Carolina, we wouldn't have played them in the Natty...jus' sayin..
I agree with ya 100% my friend..We as Bama Fans knows all too well to get into the NC Game, you have to have a few bounces or calls like the North Carolina go your way to get ya there, it's part of the game that helps make it the greatest sport on the planet..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He won a lot of games with Tajh Boyd...and Boyd was often a point of weakness in their big games.
Fair point. I'm not sure they won championships with Boyd, but a fair point still.

sip
Honest question, Sip...why do you think Kiffin after Saban?

From my view, there's no doubt Kiffin is a world-class QB coach and OC. But even given his history, when you'd think he'd go out of his way to lay low off the field, he just can't bring himself to do that on any number of fronts.

In the HC chair, with no Saban to keep a boot on his throat, he strikes me as an embarrassment (or worse) waiting to happen.

What do you see that I'm missing?

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Fair point. I'm not sure they won championships with Boyd, but a fair point still.

Honest question, Sip...why do you think Kiffin after Saban?

From my view, there's no doubt Kiffin is a world-class QB coach and OC. But even given his history, when you'd think he'd go out of his way to lay low off the field, he just can't bring himself to do that on any number of fronts.

In the HC chair, with no Saban to keep a boot on his throat, he strikes me as an embarrassment (or worse) waiting to happen.

What do you see that I'm missing?
Dubose was an embarrassment.

I think with Kiffin being under The Master a few years has helped him mature in this business, but I guess we will see what happens post-Saban.

He seems to be a great OFFENSIVE mind/genius. What would we have done last year against Clemson without him?

So do we want a Defensive genius like Saban as head coach or an Offensive genius like Tiffin?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Had a Clemson fan ask me if "we"/Bama fans think Dabo is the "real deal" as a coach. I told him I couldn't speak for all Bama fans but I thought he'd exceeded my expectations from a recruiting standpoint and a sustainability standpoint. The guy's teams have gotten better and better each year.

I'll pose the question to the Tide Brethren "Is Dabo the real deal?" and I'll put an addition to the question and ask "and do you think he'll be serious candidate for Bama when the time comes?"

Let's hear it!
Nice post Buzzard. I like Dabo as a person and admired his rise to Bama player, then Bama coach and his staying power as a coach at Clemson. I was happy to see him promoted to HC but thought all along it was a knee jerk, temporary hire. He surprised me with his staying power and he very well might turn out to the real deal. But keep in mind that even tatter tot won some games. Cheese nip won a National Championship. Dabo has some momentum but can he sustain? I hope he can but right now the point is mute until his body of work cements his legacy.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Nice post Buzzard. I like Dabo as a person and admired his rise to Bama player, then Bama coach and his staying power as a coach at Clemson. I was happy to see him promoted to HC but thought all along it was a knee jerk, temporary hire. He surprised me with his staying power and he very well might turn out to the real deal. But keep in mind that even tatter tot won some games. Cheese nip bought a National Championship. Dabo has some momentum but can he sustain? I hope he can but right now the point is mute until his body of work cements his legacy.
FIFY

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I admire what Coach Swinney has been able to do at Clemson. As with any coach, the big key for him will be whether he can sustain that high level of success over the next several years. Two years is a lifetime in college fb and five years is an eternity, but if he's able to keep Clemson in contention year-in and year-out and to perhaps win a title, then he'll be considered for some very high level jobs, maybe including ours. All that stuff comes down to timing, who's available, and what the best fit and feel are in a job.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I like Dabo a lot, and pull for him unless he's playing us, which is not very often. I get to see and interact with a lot of his family living here in Shelby County. They're good people. Could he be our next coach? Ask me when we have to be asked. We're fine right now.

I especially look forward to being the biggest Dabo fan ever the first week of the season.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.