Question: From a Clemson fan- "Do y'all think Dabo is the real deal?"

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Fair point. I'm not sure they won championships with Boyd, but a fair point still.

Honest question, Sip...why do you think Kiffin after Saban?

From my view, there's no doubt Kiffin is a world-class QB coach and OC. But even given his history, when you'd think he'd go out of his way to lay low off the field, he just can't bring himself to do that on any number of fronts.

In the HC chair, with no Saban to keep a boot on his throat, he strikes me as an embarrassment (or worse) waiting to happen.

What do you see that I'm missing?
I may be wrong completely, but I think Coach Saban has a certain respect for him, because I think they're very much alike in many ways. They're both arrogant. That's not a negative comment, simply the truth. Neither like talking to the media, and both are constantly trying to come up with the next greatest game plan in history. Plus, Kiffin basically would continue our national recruiting base. He can recruit from California to Miami, as he has proven.
With all the issues surrounding him it's still hard to deny that Kiffin did a great job at Tennessee, and the job he did at sanctioned strapped USC was very under appreciated in my opinion.
I remember before the Rocky Block game, when the head phones weren't working on the UT sideline.
I still think Coach S. did that on purpose lol. But Kiffin absolutely refused to allow the opening kickoff to take place before those headphones were working. It took about two minutes. Think a team of engineers came in and did it? No. We simply turned them on.
I just have a feeling that he will get a lot of consideration. I think he's being tutored. Otherwise, he'd already be gone. No idea if I'm wrong or right. Just my opinion.
Roll Tide! sip

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I may be wrong completely, but I think Coach Saban has a certain respect for him, because I think they're very much alike in many ways. They're both arrogant. That's not a negative comment, simply the truth. Neither like talking to the media, and both are constantly trying to come up with the next greatest game plan in history. Plus, Kiffin basically would continue our national recruiting base. He can recruit from California to Miami, as he has proven.
With all the issues surrounding him it's still hard to deny that Kiffin did a great job at Tennessee, and the job he did at sanctioned strapped USC was very under appreciated in my opinion.
I remember before the Rocky Block game, when the head phones weren't working on the UT sideline.
I still think Coach S. did that on purpose lol. But Kiffin absolutely refused to allow the opening kickoff to take place before those headphones were working. It took about two minutes. Think a team of engineers came in and did it? No. We simply turned them on.
I just have a feeling that he will get a lot of consideration. I think he's being tutored. Otherwise, he'd already be gone. No idea if I'm wrong or right. Just my opinion.
Roll Tide! sip
IMO Nick Saban isn't "arrogant" as you put it. His is very confident and has every reason to be.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
It's truly amazing that a fan base that once clamored for the hiring of Mike Dubose who had ZERO experience can have so many doubts about Dabo who has such an impressive resume.

How soon we forget.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It's truly amazing that a fan base that once clamored for the hiring of Mike Dubose who had ZERO experience can have so many doubts about Dabo who has such an impressive resume.

How soon we forget.
Glad to have you back. Historically, Clemson is the dominate team in South Carolina. Imo, it is easier for a good coach to sustain success at Clemson than SC. This is a comment to another poster, that said something about a lake. ACC aside, good coach Dabo stands higher odds of continued success than a potential good coach at SC. Look at the record books for the facts. Clemson is the power house of the state. It took a Holtz and Spurrier to get SC above water. Again, I agree with you and glad to have you back. I do not see SC playing in the NCG in the near future. Clemson, yes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Glad to have you back. Historically, Clemson is the dominate team in South Carolina. Imo, it is easier for a good coach to sustain success at Clemson than SC. This is a comment to another poster, that said something about a lake. ACC aside, good coach Dabo stands higher odds of continued success than a potential good coach at SC. Look at the record books for the facts. Clemson is the power house of the state. It took a Holtz and Spurrier to get SC above water. Again, I agree with you and glad to have you back. I do not see SC playing in the NCG in the near future. Clemson, yes.
You didn't get the lake joke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

How soon we forget.
So, to be consistent over time, we should repeat our mistake from almost 20 years ago? I'd say the healthy, reasonable skepticism of Dabo shows we've learned from the past. That's to be celebrated, not derided...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

How soon we forget.
Times have changed- and Dabo will never be hired as the head coach in Tuscaloosa. Earl knows why- and that is all that I need to know.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Times have changed- and Dabo will never be hired as the head coach in Tuscaloosa. Earl knows why- and that is all that I need to know.
That got me thinking, if CDS knows that he won't ever be asked back, then the national championship game had to be particularly important for CDS, and the loss particularly bitter.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
IMO Nick Saban isn't "arrogant" as you put it. His is very confident and has every reason to be.
That wasn't a negative comment. Coach Bryant once said he wanted players who were "a little bit arrogant, cocky, and confident".
My goodness. If I posted "Roll Tide" would anyone agree with me or would they argue with that statement? Good grief.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I only think there are two great coaches currently in college football.

Coach Saban and Urban Meyer

There are several really good coaches, and I'd put Dabo in that category perhaps . He's not great though.

I guess that would make him the "real deal" though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.