Question: From a Clemson fan- "Do y'all think Dabo is the real deal?"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are you comparing my simple statistical response post to the extremely detailed and lengthy statistical analysis the member conducted of Dabo's actual performance? Please let me know.
Yes that's exactly what I compared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
After doing some research here is Dabo's 'Resume'.

Record against Clemson's 3 'Rivals'.
4-5 against Ga Tech
3-5 against Fla St
3-5 against South Carolina

Avg Record of Winning Opponent 9.8 Wins - 3.5 L's (.740)during Dabo's 27 Career Losses
Avg Record of Losing Opponents 6.3 Wins - 6.3 L's (.500)during Dabo's 75 Career Wins

Win record against opponents Ranked in the Top 25 at the time they played 14-17 (.450)

Win record on the Road during regular season 19-16 (.540)

ACC Title Game Record: 2-1 (.667) against three opponents with 11-3 record.
Hey at least that's finally a winning % against good competition.

Bowl Game/Post Season Record: 5-4 (.550) against Opponents with Avg records of 9.8 Wins 3.4 L's (.740)
Some more improvement over his success against regular season teams with almost identical W/L records.
He wins just above half (55%) of these encounters vs the 1 in 4 (26%) in the regular season!!!

So all in all color me so not impressed with Dabo. He doesn't have even a .500 record against even ONE of his three rivals. Imagine that here....if CNS has losing records to LSU, Tenn, and AU.

His 75 wins come at the expense of mediocre to poor ACC teams.
His 27 Losses are to 3 out of every 4 good team he faces.
He has a losing record against Ranked Opponents
He has a barely above .500 Road Record
In Championship Games ACC/NCG his is 2-2....again right at .500.

So tell me why exactly he's the 'Real Deal'?
You make some good points and I'm not a Dabo Swinney fan by any means of the imagination.
But yes I think he's the real deal and I think his Clemson teams will continue to get better and better.

Here's few facts to back up why I think so:

(1) Record against ranked teams is not really a good measure. There are only six current head coaches who have a winning record against ranked opponents since 2007.
Nick Saban(At Alabama) is best with a record of just 19-12.
David Shaw is 10-5
Les Miles is 18-15
Steve Spurrier (retired) was 17-16
Jimbo Fisher is 7-6
and Mark Helfrich(Oregon) is 2-1
Conversely,
Urban Meyer is 10-13
Bob Stoops 17-17
Mark Dantonio is 8-21
Bill Snyder is 4-12
and Bobby Petrino is 6-13
Those are five "real deal" coaches who also have losing records against ranked teams.

Dabo is also 9-7 when coaching against coaches who have won a national championship.

He has a 10-9 record against Southeastern Conference teams beating Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, and Kentucky.

Since 2012, in bowl games, his teams have beaten:
Oklahoma 37-17
Oklahoma 40-16
Ohio State 40-35
LSU 25-24
and he gave us all we wanted and more before losing 45-41.

I don't see how it's possible to say he's not the real deal, but you have a right to your opinion and I respect that.
sip

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
But yes I think he's the real deal and I think his Clemson teams will continue to get better and better.
I tend to agree with you sip. You get flogged like me sometimes, but you have good common sense and back it up. This types of questions are subjective and some like myself take the past and speculate on the future when making these type of opinions. Imo, unless he gets hit with some sort of scandal, Clemson has their best coach since Ford. Certainly better than Bowden.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
You make some good points and I'm not a Dabo Swinney fan by any means of the imagination.

(1) Record against ranked teams is not really a good measure. There are only six current head coaches who have a winning record against ranked opponents since 2007.
David Shaw is 10-5
Les Miles is 18-15
Jimbo Fisher is 7-6
Conversely,
Urban Meyer is 10-13
Bob Stoops 17-17
Mark Dantonio is 8-21
Bill Snyder is 4-12
Those are five "real deal" coaches who also have losing records against ranked teams.

Dabo is also 9-7 when coaching against coaches who have won a national championship.

He has a 10-9 record against Southeastern Conference teams beating Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, and Kentucky.

Oklahoma 37-17
Oklahoma 40-16
Ohio State 40-35
LSU 25-24

I don't see how it's possible to say he's not the real deal, but you have a right to your opinion and I respect that.
sip
Thank you for the civil response and counter points. I respect your opinion as well even if we are
on different sides. My main point all along was not that Dabo is a bad coach or that he should be fired or anything absurd like that. Just that he is very average against metrics that fans place importance on like rivalries, road wins, bowl game and championship wins.

He's around .500 in all those areas. Yes he's trending upwards and Clemson is having some good seasons but I still don't see him as an Elite head coach. He's fine for Clemson....but he has a lot more to prove to say he should be the HC at a big boy school in a big boy conference.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

David Shaw is 10-5
Les Miles is 18-15
Jimbo Fisher is 7-6
Conversely,
Urban Meyer is 10-13
Bob Stoops 17-17
Mark Dantonio is 8-21
Bill Snyder is 4-12

Oklahoma 37-17
Oklahoma 40-16
Ohio State 40-35
LSU 25-24

sip

Excellent post Sip. I started a similar post yesterday but never finished. You went much deeper and mine would have paled in comparison but my intent was the same. Stats aren't everything...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
How often does any hot-at-the-moment coach not named Saban turn out to be "the real deal" as I think most fans would define it? Say, winning 10 plus in the regular season every year, winning your division and your conference more than anyone else does, and being a fixture in January bowls? If Dabo turns out not to be, he'll have plenty of company:

• Chizik and Malzahn each had a good year, but couldn't sustain
  • Kiffin and Sarkisian looked good in spurts, then faded (for very different reasons)
  • Chip Kelly? Maybe, but he jumped to the NFL and we all know how that's worked out so far.
  • Al Golden? Let's just say he made it very unlikely any college coach will soon wear a tie on the sideline.
  • Charlie Strong did well at Louisville but has yet to translate that to Texas.
  • What ever happened to Greg Schiano?
  • Kevin Sumlin seems to have ridden a once-in-a-generation COLLEGE QB talent for all he was worth. He's gone (a phrase with meaning on many levels), taking with him the any likelihood of pairing the terms "Texas A&M" and "SEC West Champion" that seemed inevitable only a couple of seasons ago.
  • Urban Meyer? Probably the best example of the exception proving the rule (at Florida and likely at tOSU).
Just as with corporate CEOs, the "hot" commodity very often turns out not to be, while the ho-hum, under the radar folks (who rarely if ever get the spotlight when plum vacancies arise) consistently get it done in terms of winning percentage. Think Gary Patterson; Bob Stoops; Gary Pinkel; Bronco Mendenhall; and yes, Mark Richt and Les Miles. Again, Saban is the exception, but he's a once in a lifetime coach. If he's the standard, then as someone (I forget who) is supposed to have said after a fellow SEC coach was fired allegedly for being unable to beat Coach Bryant, "They'll have to fire us all then."
Actually this was said by Shug Jordan referring to the firing of Charlie McClendon at LSU for, among other things, not being able to beat Coach Bryant.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dabo allowed this in his practice facility. I would hope UA wouldn't do something like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.