Question: From a Clemson fan- "Do y'all think Dabo is the real deal?"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Had a Clemson fan ask me if "we"/Bama fans think Dabo is the "real deal" as a coach. I told him I couldn't speak for all Bama fans but I thought he'd exceeded my expectations from a recruiting standpoint and a sustainability standpoint. The guy's teams have gotten better and better each year.

I'll pose the question to the Tide Brethren "Is Dabo the real deal?" and I'll put an addition to the question and ask "and do you think he'll be serious candidate for Bama when the time comes?"

Let's hear it!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think he's proven that he can consistently put a winning product on the field and he recruits well so I think it is sustainable. I figured Chad Morris leaving last season would be a test for the Clemson program and they didn't regress...heck they surpassed their standard. The future is bright for Clemson so long as he's in charge.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I think Dabo is a very good coach and had definitey exceeded my expectations in his success at Clemson.
Would we trade? Hahaha! No.
Would I like to see him follow Coach Saban at Alabama? I don't think so, his personality doesn't seem to fit. I like him, even though he is rather hokey, but I like him at Clemson.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
I like Dabo, but he's good for the ACC, not the SEC. Sure, he's posted wins over Georgia, Auburn, LSU and South Carolina, but those wins are spread out over different seasons. Not sure he could beat all of those teams in the same season year after year and then tack on Alabama, Florida, Tennnesse, etc.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He seems to be on a pretty good trajectory as a head coach. I personally like him, but I know a few people say he's got skeletons in his closet.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
...I told him I couldn't speak for all Bama fans but I thought he'd exceeded my expectations from a recruiting standpoint and a sustainability standpoint.
I agree. I honestly expected Dabo to fade away by now. He's surprised me.

"and do you think he'll be serious candidate for Bama when the time comes?"
The elapsed time between now and then should tell us all we need to know, but I don't expect it.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm not sure how I feel about Dabo, one thing is clear, he gets as much out of his Boy's, as any one HC in college football does or I think he does..Clemson had less talent than we did in the NC Game & they went toe to toe with us in that game..Having said all that..

A good bit of our fanbase just doesn't want him at Bama due to his ties to the Dubose days at Bama..I can understand that & wouldn't want any ties from those days of Bama Football back at Bama either in all honesty..

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
How often does any hot-at-the-moment coach not named Saban turn out to be "the real deal" as I think most fans would define it? Say, winning 10 plus in the regular season every year, winning your division and your conference more than anyone else does, and being a fixture in January bowls? If Dabo turns out not to be, he'll have plenty of company:

• Chizik and Malzahn each had a good year, but couldn't sustain
  • Kiffin and Sarkisian looked good in spurts, then faded (for very different reasons)
  • Chip Kelly? Maybe, but he jumped to the NFL and we all know how that's worked out so far.
  • Al Golden? Let's just say he made it very unlikely any college coach will soon wear a tie on the sideline.
  • Charlie Strong did well at Louisville but has yet to translate that to Texas.
  • What ever happened to Greg Schiano?
  • Kevin Sumlin seems to have ridden a once-in-a-generation COLLEGE QB talent for all he was worth. He's gone (a phrase with meaning on many levels), taking with him the any likelihood of pairing the terms "Texas A&M" and "SEC West Champion" that seemed inevitable only a couple of seasons ago.
  • Urban Meyer? Probably the best example of the exception proving the rule (at Florida and likely at tOSU).
Just as with corporate CEOs, the "hot" commodity very often turns out not to be, while the ho-hum, under the radar folks (who rarely if ever get the spotlight when plum vacancies arise) consistently get it done in terms of winning percentage. Think Gary Patterson; Bob Stoops; Gary Pinkel; Bronco Mendenhall; and yes, Mark Richt and Les Miles. Again, Saban is the exception, but he's a once in a lifetime coach. If he's the standard, then as someone (I forget who) is supposed to have said after a fellow SEC coach was fired allegedly for being unable to beat Coach Bryant, "They'll have to fire us all then."

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think Dabo is a little hokey which is Ok but I'm not sure he's the right fit at Alabama. He is growing on me however. His players seem to really get behind him which indicates he's a good leader. He has surrounded himself with good assistants and they really recruit well. The Dubose connection doesn't bother me at all. The whole landscape of college football will probably change a good bit by the time Coach Saban hangs it up. Let's see how he progresses.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I'm not sure how I feel about Dabo, one thing is clear, he gets as much out of his Boy's, as any one HC in college football does or I think he does..Clemson had less talent than we did in the NC Game & they went toe to toe with us in that game..Having said all that..

A good bit of our fanbase just doesn't want him at Bama due to his ties to the Dubose days at Bama..I can understand that & wouldn't want any ties from those days of Bama Football back at Bama either in all honesty..
L'est not forget, that if it weren't for a bad call when they played North Carolina, we wouldn't have played them in the Natty...jus' sayin..

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
His system seems a little more dependent on having a really great QB than what I have become used to at Bama but I see nothing that tells me he is anything less than a top tier coach and one who would have as much chance at Bama as anyone. His teams appear prepared, motivated, and disciplined. Personally, I think our next coach is currently on our staff but you never know.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How often does any hot-at-the-moment coach not named Saban turn out to be "the real deal" as I think most fans would define it? Say, winning 10 plus in the regular season every year, winning your division and your conference more than anyone else does, and being a fixture in January bowls? If Dabo turns out not to be, he'll have plenty of company:

• Chizik and Malzahn each had a good year, but couldn't sustain
  • Kiffin and Sarkisian looked good in spurts, then faded (for very different reasons)
  • Chip Kelly? Maybe, but he jumped to the NFL and we all know how that's worked out so far.
  • Al Golden? Let's just say he made it very unlikely any college coach will soon wear a tie on the sideline.
  • Charlie Strong did well at Louisville but has yet to translate that to Texas.
  • What ever happened to Greg Schiano?
  • Kevin Sumlin seems to have ridden a once-in-a-generation COLLEGE QB talent for all he was worth. He's gone (a phrase with meaning on many levels), taking with him the any likelihood of pairing the terms "Texas A&M" and "SEC West Champion" that seemed inevitable only a couple of seasons ago.
  • Urban Meyer? Probably the best example of the exception proving the rule (at Florida and likely at tOSU).
Just as with corporate CEOs, the "hot" commodity very often turns out not to be, while the ho-hum, under the radar folks (who rarely if ever get the spotlight when plum vacancies arise) consistently get it done in terms of winning percentage. Think Gary Patterson; Bob Stoops; Gary Pinkel; Bronco Mendenhall; and yes, Mark Richt and Les Miles. Again, Saban is the exception, but he's a once in a lifetime coach. If he's the standard, then as someone (I forget who) is supposed to have said after a fellow SEC coach was fired allegedly for being unable to beat Coach Bryant, "They'll have to fire us all then."
You forgot Paul Johnson (dabaxter). He's resurreced Ga Tech and gone 5-7 against the SEC; that's like Vanderbilt winning the national title.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Good coach. Great fit at Clemson. If he continues to win at the pace he has been, why not consider him when the time comes? At least consider him. Will the stigma of being a part of the DuBose staff still hold him back then? Only the powers that be can answer that.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I think this upcoming season will tell us a lot about him. It's one thing to make it to the top (or 2nd from the top) once. To sustain that kind of success is the real challenge.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
L'est not forget, that if it weren't for a bad call when they played North Carolina, we wouldn't have played them in the Natty...jus' sayin..
....also but for a crazy play in the ole miss-arkansas game clemson would not have been playing us in the Natty....

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Alabama made Bill Curry a pretty good recruiter. Dabo already is but would catapult to the top in Tuscaloosa. I believe he truly can coach and motivate and would win big at UA.

That said, he was among the ethically-deficient homeboys who did massive damage to our school and reputation. Twenty years have gone by, but the trust may never be restored.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Dabo is a little Rah Rah for my taste. BUT... He is a good coach. I can't hold the Dubois connection against him. We have all had to work with who was there... Since the 60s I have watched Alabama Football evolve. Gone are the days of Three Yard and a Cloud of Dust. Nowadays we even utilize the forward pass. I watched a brash young coach (Kiffin) at Tennessee, and never foresaw any circumstance where he would be one of our coaches. Thanks to Kiffin we now play a more wide open brand of football. Got to credit Coach Saban for seeing something in Lane that most of us didn't.
Back to Dabo... Give him credit, he has surrounded himself with good coaches. Dabo has made Clemson into the kind of football team that kids want to play for. He's a great recruiter.

I have watched Alabama Football evolve. I have watched Coach Bryant and now Coach Saban change with the times. I remember when part of the Alabama faithful had some doubts about Coach Saban. I remember when everyone said that at best he would be here 2-3 years and be gone. Guess the faithful were wrong about CNS.
Can Dabo and Clemson continue to change with the times? Time will tell. If he can he might evolve into the next big coach.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Dabob has done a fantastic job at Clemson. I think he would do a great job here...or most anywhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.