Link: Greg McElroy Going to the Booth to Call Games for ESPN with Dave Pasch

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

ESPN has secured extensions for two of its top college football voices, as well as added Greg McElroy and Allison Williams to the Saturday ABC/ESPN commentator teams. ESPN play-by-play Dave Pasch has re-signed and will be joined in the booth by analyst Greg McElroy, and field analyst Tom Luginbill. Reporter Allison Williams will join the team of Brock Huard and Bob Wischusen. Wischusen has also extended his contract with ESPN.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Anybody who's been paying attention saw this coming for G-Mac. It's been clear he's a rising star in the TV booth.

He's a young Kirk Herbstreit IMO.

Glad for him!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like Greg, but I really don't care for how he handles some of the more ad hoc segments on the SEC Network. He is great when he has time to plan out interviews and segments. I'm not sure how much I will like him as a booth analyst.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I like Greg, but I really don't care for how he handles some of the more ad hoc segments on the SEC Network. He is great when he has time to plan out interviews and segments. I'm not sure how much I will like him as a booth analyst.
He'll be a very good analyst after he's in the booth for a while. He's a very intelligent and a well spoken individual. He'll do very well and have a long and prosperous career in broadcasting. Some saw this coming before he ever left UA.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I think being a booth analyst requires the right mix of personality and football acumen. I can't say if he has the right balance until he gets un there and does it. He seems to have the tools, but it's Kind of like proving yourself at being a quarterback. You don't know how it will go until your in the actual game. I'd like to think he'd be very good.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think being a booth analyst requires the right mix of personality and football acumen. I can't say if he has the right balance until he gets un there and does it. He seems to have the tools, but it's Kind of like proving yourself at being a quarterback. You don't know how it will go until your in the actual game. I'd like to think he'd be very good.
He's actually done a few games already. ABC/ESPN wouldn't have put him in this slot without a little bit of evidence he's ready for it.

I do think he'll grow and develop his trade, just like anybody else in any other profession, but he's already demonstrated he can do a good job.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
He's actually done a few games already. ABC/ESPN wouldn't have put him in this slot without a little bit of evidence he's ready for it.

I do think he'll grow and develop his trade, just like anybody else in any other profession, but he's already demonstrated he can do a good job.
I missed it, not surprising since I don't have cable. Do you know when was it and what games he did?

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I missed it, not surprising since I don't have cable. Do you know when was it and what games he did?
From article link: McElroy is transitioning from SEC Network’s traveling pre-game show SEC Nation to a weekly regular-season game assignment. The former national championship winning-quarterback has served as a college football studio analyst for the past two years, in addition to covering several spring games, bowl games and two regular-season games.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At the risk of saying something that some here will view as an insult, but I mean as a high compliment, I could see McElroy being ESPN's answer to CBS's Gary Danielsen.

He has the same appreciation for details of great significance, but which the average fan misses. He understands the full game, but is especially well-versed on offense, and will speak his mind even when he knows his view is in the minority.

I like Danielsen because I learn something from him every time I watch one of his games, and could see McElroy doing the same thing.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Congrats to Greg! I knew from the start that he would be successful in broadcasting. He has always been great on radio and TV.

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
ESPN owns the SEC Network, so he will still be a part of the during the week analysis

Cool thanks,... I thought he was gone from the SECN.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I often wonder what Greg would be doing if Mal had kept Shula a couple more years. I always liked Greg, especially his IQ and going undefeated and winning his class championship in Texas, and throwing a perfect strike in his first appearance. Greg would have always been a success in life, no matter the coach, but being the QB at the beginning of the Saban dynasty ( 3 star), has imo, taken him from the a good job like his dads, to being a TV celebrity, which he is good at and seems to enjoy. When I see Greg talking to coach Saban, I see the appreciation. Shula snagged from T Tech after Tebow reject and the rest is history. In the end, GMAC picked the right team. Smart, smart dude that GMAC.

Conclusion? No Saban, no GMAC television career. Synergy at work

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Nick Saban was the best thing to happen to Greg McElroy's broadcasting career potential. He's on a path to be a lifer on the cfb broadcasting scene...and being a championship QB is what got him on that path.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I'll never forget Greg's first time on the SEC Network -- he looked so nervous with deer in the headlights expression. However, he has grown so much more comfortable in the position and I can see him taking to the analyst position like a duck to water.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I often wonder what Greg would be doing if Mal had kept Shula a couple more years. I always liked Greg, especially his IQ and going undefeated and winning his class championship in Texas, and throwing a perfect strike in his first appearance. Greg would have always been a success in life, no matter the coach, but being the QB at the beginning of the Saban dynasty ( 3 star), has imo, taken him from the a good job like his dads, to being a TV celebrity, which he is good at and seems to enjoy. When I see Greg talking to coach Saban, I see the appreciation. Shula snagged from T Tech after Tebow reject and the rest is history. In the end, GMAC picked the right team. Smart, smart dude that GMAC.

Conclusion? No Saban, no GMAC television career. Synergy at work
But he didn`t, and that`s all that matters as far as Greg`s career is concerned. That, by the way, applies probably to 80-90 % of people who have advanced in their careers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.