What Have You Learned Watching College Football in the Last Few Years?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
With all our success I have paid far more attention over the last 7 years than I did before. I had some preconceived ideas about UA and college football in general that were more fan based than fact based. Here are my confessions:

1. I assumed that any athlete at UA was superior to most athletes at other schools. Boy was I wrong...all the top schools have great athletes. I realize now that CU had more than I ever dreamed -- after watching the championship game about 6x.

2. Great athletes are vital to winning...but they do not guarantee winning, particularly long term. Any school can have a single "out of the norm" year. Example -- AU with Chizik and Cam Newton.

3. Coaching is more important than ever before...we are watching a coaching genius in every sense of the word: recruiting, training, motivation, etc., of everyone connected to the program.

4. Teamwork is vital to a winning program...If your great athletes don't gel, you will underachieve every time. (T A&M?)

5. LK (or someone on the offensive staff) is a literal genius at getting playmakers open...wide open.

6. The pro game may be more "hyped," but the college game is much more exciting. You never know what these kids are going to do from week to week.

7. If the college game is ever "ruined" -- money will be the cause of it. (If I remember that is even scriptural!)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think you referred to it in #3, but recruiting is really where the top teams seperate themselves. Look at who's top 5 in recruiting and those are the teams that have success the following years. And when a guy like CNS can bring in #1 classes year in and year out it makes total sense that we've wone 4 out of 7 NCs under him.

As you say, good team chemistry can raise a team to the top occasionally, but it's the recruiting that keeps them there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll go with - It takes a lot of luck and you need to peak at the right time if you want to win a championship.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Urban Meyer can't complete an unbeaten season if it counts (I sorta like him, just pointing out)

Bob Stoops hasn't won a big game now for 15 years

Auburn still hasn't learned that defense is part of the game.

When it comes to firing coaches USC is the gold standard of idiocy.

Adam Zucker >>>>>Tim Brando

I'd like to be on the four-team committee solely for the perks of having to meet at the nice hotel for seven straight weekends

Sex assault scandals are too common

Alabama wins almost every game

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I'll go with - It takes a lot of luck and you need to peak at the right time if you want to win a championship.
This. Most things, many out of your control, have to go right to win it all. Injuries and fluke plays played huge roles in just about every loss we've had the last 7 years. Not to belittle opponent that beat us, just saying you gotta catch the breaks. UTw fans still to this day wonder what could have been if big ole Marcell hadn't ended Colt's night prematurely.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree that "luck" and "good bounces" are part of almost every championship team. I even remember the year we lost to TAMU when we played them late in the year in T-town that we needed Texas Tech, IIRC, to upset Ok. State in the next week or so to help us get back into the top 2 of the BCS.

However, luck helps bad teams and good teams, so as the ball bounces it effects all teams. But, when a really good team gets a good break they still have to use it to their advantage and win the games down the stretch to win a NC. Bama, when the recepient of a good break, almost always takes advantage of it because we have the better players and coaches.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I agree that "luck" and "good bounces" are part of almost every championship team. I even remember the year we lost to TAMU when we played them late in the year in T-town that we needed Texas Tech, IIRC, to upset Ok. State in the next week or so to help us get back into the top 2 of the BCS.

However, luck helps bad teams and good teams, so as the ball bounces it effects all teams. But, when a really good team gets a good break they still have to use it to their advantage and win the games down the stretch to win a NC. Bama, when the recepient of a good break, almost always takes advantage of it because we have the better players and coaches.
"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet." - Damon Runyon :biggrin2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There are some offenses that are almost impossible to stop. Sometimes you have to play arena ball to win.
Interesting way of putting it, but I know what you mean.

I think we've embraced the fact that a great defense can't get it done by themselves like it did in 1992. In today's game, you need an offense that can keep up and outscore the other teams when they have your defense outschemed that day.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Ineligible receiver being allowed 3 yards downfield is impossible to officiate consistently.

I remember when the rule changed, and my thought was, "Who cares?" Did I ever get an education on that one.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Having the right coach makes a huge impact on team motivation and performance, which is just as important as talent.

I like this thread. Thanks.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The same things win that always won, and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There are three parts to a football team, and any of those three parts can cost a team a game or a season.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I remember the fan base reaction when McCants left after his junior year. Fast forward to our thinking on leaving school as a 1st round prediction from then. Night and day. It has become a huge business, and I hope it slows down or it might wharf into a farm league......or the elite teams leaving, changing the mindset of amateurism that we grew up with. And I do predict that in the next 10 years. There is too much money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.