What Have You Learned Watching College Football in the Last Few Years?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Are you just another fan who takes every word that does not present glowing acclaim of Alabama as an insult?
Hardly. Under Sorenson and Bochrath Bama exhibited a deadly mixture of arrogance and incompetence that almost destroyed the program. Gene Stalling had a one-legged team whose offense, though more effective than most realized, was usually painful and ugly to watch. Nick Saban has unnecessarily mistreated the media at times. (He has changed lately.)

Are you just another fan on an opposing message board who assumes a difference of opinion is because of bias, not based on fact or accurate perception ?

IMO, the reality is, Bama is in the midst of the greatest run in college football history and there are a few (hopefully not you, as I noted your fairness in my first post) who want to diminish it in any way they can. Often subtly.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Putting yourself in a position where luck can help you is work and inspiration. (see onside kick against Clemson)

Putting yourself in a position where luck can hurt you is desperation or gambling with fate. (see Ole Miss)

Proper planning and execution will generally get the good breaks and bounces, a.k.a. "The Process" !

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, the reality is, Bama is in the midst of the greatest run in college football history and there are a few (hopefully not you, as I noted your fairness in my first post) who want to diminish it in any way they can. Often subtly.
Without question - greatest dynasty in the history of the sport. I have never suggested that luck created the dynasty. I was just pointing out something that had become more apparent to me over the last 10-15 years watching college football. I was not trying to, in any way, diminish Alabama's dynasty. Heck, Ohio State was just as fortunate 2 years ago. It is a part of the game. But it just seems so much more so today. Maybe that is because of the number of games that we get to see. I am not sure. I just know that it seems more clear that luck has a role now than it ever did to me.

Note - I am also not saying that luck hasn't always had a huge role to play. It may have. But we just didn't get to see it play out so often on TV.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
1. Inconsistent officiating
2. Game has evolved into where people throws ball a lot. (Houston, Oregon, Baylor, etc)
3. One loss and everyone is all over the team. ( last year loss to Ole miss)
4. Targeting rules is inconsistent.
5. College football is lot better than NFL.
6. Alabama changes their qbs every year like we change our undies and still win games.
7. Kiffin went from Oakland, TEN, USC to Alabama OC.
Ew...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That it has always been and will always be the greatest sport in all of sports. There's absolutely nothing that creates more anticipation, discussion and excitement. I absolutely love it.
I've also learned that we are very fortunate to have hired some of the greatest football coaches in the history of the sport.
sip

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Without question - greatest dynasty in the history of the sport. I have never suggested that luck created the dynasty. I was just pointing out something that had become more apparent to me over the last 10-15 years watching college football. I was not trying to, in any way, diminish Alabama's dynasty. Heck, Ohio State was just as fortunate 2 years ago. It is a part of the game. But it just seems so much more so today. Maybe that is because of the number of games that we get to see. I am not sure. I just know that it seems more clear that luck has a role now than it ever did to me.

Note - I am also not saying that luck hasn't always had a huge role to play. It may have. But we just didn't get to see it play out so often on TV.
Can't disagree with a word you said. As I stated in my first post, you've always been fair towards Alabama. You didn't even mention Bama in your post. I was just using your post to address the narrative that a few are pursuing. Anyway, I've already said enough 😊.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've come to realize every team we play, they all play Bama just a tad bit harder, than they do against other schools they play, plus, it's always amazing watching QB's we play against become Tom Brady or Joe Montana passing the ball against us..

We bring out the absolute best in Players that plays against us, cause playing for Bama, it brings out the absolute best in our Players & usually brings out more than that cause they play for Bama..That's the mystique of The Crimson Tide & is why The Crimson Tide is the best Football Program in the history of the game..

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have learned that every team in every conference hates their network. PAC and Big 12 always dissing FOX for lousy cameras, angles and HD is fuzzy. Ditto B1G and ACC with ESPN and ABC. Not sure cause I don't visit ND boards but I would bet their fans hate NBC too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's another thing I've learned: any time we lose a game we have a contingent of fans that absolutely refuses to admit we got bested in execution.

My response to this next has nothing to do with Bham being one of those fans (he's not) but with what is said here that needs context of the relationship of luck and execution.

Bama has had more bad luck than good luck. There would have been no need for the good luck of Ok St losing if Bama did not lose to LSU because of bad luck in 2011 - Bama dominated but could not kick a FG. They scored 2 FGs in 6 trips inside the 30. LSU scored 2 FGs in 2 trips, IIRC.
As I do with krazy and the BCS, let's start on the points we can agree and then work our way to agreement. First of all, we have very few games where luck plays any role at all. I will grant that the 2011 LSU regular season game had to have been a nadir for bad luck, but we still failed to execute as well.

But my bigger issue is your reductionist approach to luck as if only Okie State had to lose for us to make it into the title game. You have to remember that not only did Okie State have to lose, so did Oregon, Boise State, and Oklahoma. Furthermore, it got complicated because let's be honest - they didn't 'really' want a rematch but unfortunately for the PTB, Oregon had ALSO played and lost to LSU, and they had not looked nearly as impressive as Alabama did. If Oregon had not lost to LSU and had won their conference, we don't even make the game.

And do we even need to talk about 2012? Sure, we had bad luck on the Manziel fumble TD play, but we also turned it over three times and failed to execute at critical points. What bailed us out? K-State and Oregon losing within minutes of each other. And remember this: if Ohio State had not opted to take a later probation and thus were ineligible in 2012, we would not have even made the game.

Bama would not have needed the Ark miracle last year if not for, ironically, the OM miracle of +5 in TOs (2 on KO returns) and one ~70 yd fluke TD and one ~70 yd illegal TD and yet had to hang on for dear life to win by 6.
FIVE turnovers are not luck. Give Ole Miss credit for making the turnover plays. The prayer triple bounce was ridiculously lucky, but the turnovers weren't.

AU kick 6 after reliable FG kicker (10-12 coming in) couldn't kick one to save his life,
Alabama started a drive at the Auburn 35 with 8:35 left and got no points. Auburn stopped us on a fourth down - that isn't luck, it's great execution by Auburn. Then Marshall hit Coates with the tying TD - that wasn't luck, either.

And for the last time, folks, the Kick Six was NOT luck, it was phenomenal execution by Auburn. The most painful thing about it is that it was a Nick Saban type thinking play that beat Nick Saban.

The Prayer at Jordan Hare was so lucky it was ridiculous. You can't draw up a play like that to save your life. But the Kick Six was thinking and executing on Malzahn's part combined with failure to do both on our part.

also forcing Bama to go for it on 4th late. Still AU needs a miracle (probably illegal) late to tie. Etc.
Help from referees doesn't change the fact we put ourselves in that situation. As JessN noted in his recap, Alabama was probably twice the team Auburn had that year.

Bama's "luck" is becoming a recurring theme propagated by some, including Vince Dooley. They are having trouble digesting Bama's unparalleled sustained success, with no end yet in sight. Not saying that is what you are doing - you've been fair with your praise of Bama.
Well, we've certainly not had the insane Auburn luck (UGA miracle and the Mark Ingram fumble, that I still cannot believe) and there's a certain element of truth to putting one's self in position to benefit from it. Arky beat Ole Miss on an absolute fluke - though I've watched that game since then and Arky should have won anyway - but if we had not won all our other games it wouldn't have mattered to us.

We beat LSU the same night and that wasn't luck.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Here's another thing I've learned: any time we lose a game we have a contingent of fans that absolutely refuses to admit we got bested in execution.
My favorite this season was after the Ole Miss game when one poster seriously suggested that lucky plays be made illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.