2 Dallas PD shot during BLM protest (Update: 12 shot, 5 dead)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
that's what you took away from that speech?

smh

Among other things....

For me it was way too political in nature.

If you go down that road.....blaming things....you gotta blame the root of the problem, don't you?

If you think the root of the problem is a freaking gun......then yeah....smh......

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
he actually mentioned that their murder was an act of racial hatred.
The service was a memorial for those who lost their lives. I don't think that should have been part of it either. It should have been a tribute to them and the fact they lost their lives serving and protecting others. This was not a place for political rhetoric of any kind. The families deserved better.
Obama never fails to disappoint with his lectures about how horrible our country is. Did your feel his words were calming or uniting or more of his divisive lecturing?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I read it. I didn't think it was too bad. The line about the Glock was nothing short of absurd, and he was far more effective in the early half than the later half. (I also note as a seminarian who graduated a mile and a half from the site of the memorial that he said "John's gospel" when the quote actually came from the First Epistle of John (3:18); of course, he probably didn't write it anyway). And I have no doubt it was political, primarily because everything ANY President says is political.

On the flip side, there are some folks who will nitpick over every little thing that 'should have been said.' But given the fact that the gold standard for turning a memorial service into a political rally is still held by the Wellstone Memorial of 2002, I saw nothing even remotely close to that insanity from the President. There were two or three or lines maybe that could have been worked better but I don't see any delve into that level of criticism.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The only reason it didn't turn into a rally is that there wasn't a sufficient number of boisterous left wing extremists to make it that way, similar to what nearly happened at the Muhammed Ali service.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
One very important problem that we are dealing with now is few in the BLM group want to wait for due process when law enforcement is involved . They want a conviction on day 1. All the evidence and facts are not important to them. Especially when video footage is involved. They see all they need to convict and scream justice. They no longer believe "your innocent until proven guilty". However, they do think the "victim" is innocent and dont need due process to determine if in fact they were not innocent.

This disconnect is from the continued racial devide our leaders are both allowing to continue and in some cases stoking the fire for political purposes and their own agendas.
What they want is mob rule. They literally would drag the cops out and execute them given their choice. What's ironic is they behave and have a mindset like the old, most virulent KKK members who would hand out mob justice instantly facts be damned, and now they call the police the new KKK.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Obama's speech was pretty good and there was a lot of truth but too much of it did not belong at a memorial for fallen police officers. If I was a family member of one of the officers and in attendance, I would likely have left during the 2nd half of Obama's speech.

I don't know what should be expected for a president to say at a memorial service for specific individuals but this was too much. I guess if the president goes to all the trouble to attend then he must say more than just give respect to the deceased and their fraternity. He should have stayed in Washington.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Obama's speech was pretty good and there was a lot of truth but too much of it did not belong at a memorial for fallen police officers. If I was a family member of one of the officers and in attendance, I would likely have left during the 2nd half of Obama's speech.

I don't know what should be expected for a president to say at a memorial service for specific individuals but this was too much. I guess if the president goes to all the trouble to attend then he must say more than just give respect to the deceased and their fraternity. He should have stayed in Washington.
I haven't listened to the whole thing but from what I have heard, Obama and Bush BOTH gave a pretty good speech. Detractors can nit pick either one to fit their own personal agenda but they were both good.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://bluelivesmatter.blue/citizens-not-police-need-de-escalation-training/

An old friend whose husband is a cop posted this article on FB. To be honest I did not want to confront her directly out of respect for the both of them.

I support the law and LEO's. I generally agree with much of what Mr. Martinelli says. The public at times are their own worst enemy and citizens need to be calm and it's better to allow the police to be wrong and take it up in court or with a supervisor if they feel wronged. I do have a few points of contention with this particular officer as it pertains to this article.

1. Citizens are obligated to obey lawful orders, not every command an officer gives. It is possible to challenge an order calmly and with respect.. And it is still better to raise your objection and then move on and take it up with the proper authority later than to place yourself, the officer, and others in danger by resisting.

2. I don't like his arrogance or the deflection. I understand the standards are high. The job is stressful. Officers must come home. But they are charged with great power and with that great power comes great responsibility. The vast majority take that seriously. Therefore, they should want the best and most training they can get to be the best at what they do. That training will also help them get home safe, so it is not at odds with what everyone wants.

3. This statement is beyond the pale and is the number one reason I am saying anything critical at all:

"Five Dallas officers ultimately lost their lives last week because of the general public’s self-centered, brazen ignorance."

No, five Dallas officers are dead because one man had so much hate in his heart for white people and especially white cops that he shot them dead. To blame the general public is unbecoming of his position, IMHO.

These criticisms don't mean I don't support police and they don't mean that I support those few who literally want to dismantle and/or slur good officers' names or the profession as a whole. Again, the vast majority of LEO's are good people and respectful of the public they serve. While I understand his emotions, I do believe he let them get the better of him when writing this article. He could have made the same general statement with my full support and without criticism had he stuck to a mutually beneficial and respectful message. Instead he chose make statements that reflect poorly, IMHO. This kind of message will get the choir to say "amen!" but an important message will be lost in all the bluster. The public does need to be educated, but with all due respect and sensitivity this ain't it.
I truly believe the gentleman writing this article is part of the problem within law enforcement. His contempt for the public is palpable. And he can't even write an article without expressing it in no uncertain terms. I would hate to encounter him on the street. Actually, I would probably fear it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I've never heard Obama ever preach about love, unity, patriotism where I felt he meant it. His delivery style is almost identical to Bill Engvall.....even when he keeps telling the audience, "Here's your sign"

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
He should be more ashamed of holding hands with that beast to his left. Yeah he looked like a drunken frat boy trying to sing the fight song at a football game.
Cankcles and the Beast! :biggrin:

Patrick Ewing! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.