JK Scott could end up the best punter since.......just sayin

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The first punt I ever say from JK? I looked at my friends and said.......that is not a fluke. It was like watching Ray Guy. I cannot remember the name of the punter from Georgia that had success in the 90's?

Early sophomore slump opinion.....was due to a skinny "Guy" adjusting to a growing body.....that was worked itself as the season went on.

We have had some good punters, some that were head hunters after very good punts, but none I can group with J.K Scott in punting ability,

I am not an expert, but with the length of NFL career's. PK's and punters have to be the best in the nation, maybe even over 2 years, to get a sniff in draft, J.K will get drafted. and I cannot remember that last time.

J.K Scott, imo, a recruit that coach Saban has allowed to have his own S&C coaching and support...will end up the best punter in my lifetime as a Bama fan,

If you want to talk Coach Stalling strategy, field position, Scott is the core. I cannot wait to see him this year.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It was fun watching Ray Guy punt the ball back in the day..Another punter that could boom some punts was Reggie Roby..Reggie when he got all his foot into a punt..He punted the ball higher & longer than anyone I can honestly ever remember on any level of football..

I can't wait to see what kinda season JK has for The Tide this coming season..I do hope hope he gets less chances to show college football what kinda leg he has though this season..LOL

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It was fun watching Ray Guy punt the ball back in the day..Another punter that could boom some punts was Reggie Roby..Reggie when he got all his foot into a punt..He punted the ball higher & longer than anyone I can honestly ever remember on any level of football..

I can't wait to see what kinda season JK has for The Tide this coming season..I do hope hope he gets less chances to show college football what kinda leg he has though this season..LOL
Roby reminded me of a linebacker too. Man he could punt.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Going back to Coach Bryant's'era we had Greg Gant and he was fabulous. Played in the NFL for some time. JK has the potential to be one of 32 punters in the NFL.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The best I ever saw was Brad Wing from LSU. That guy was a weapon...
While I believe his punt did hit the camera wire AND a lot of these Australian Rules Football punters have been underwhelming, Brad Wing was pretty dang good. When they didn't play us, I loved watching him punt. It didn't hurt that '11 LSU team had some great head hunters of their own too. IIRC, he's still punting for the NY Giants and doing a very good job of it.

I still think JK is potentially better and will be better on Sundays.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Early in Scott's freshman year, I joked to Mrs. Basket Case that he might be the first punter to go pro early. By the end of the year, it wasn't a joke any more. Had a sophomore slump, but regained most of the freshman form by the end of the year.

If his junior year is a repeat of his freshman performance, I couldn't blame him for leaving.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I hope JK has to punt 14, maybe 15, times this season... and I expect they'll be boomers! :biggrin:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The first punt I ever say from JK? I looked at my friends and said.......that is not a fluke. It was like watching Ray Guy. I cannot remember the name of the punter from Georgia that had success in the 90's?

Early sophomore slump opinion.....was due to a skinny "Guy" adjusting to a growing body.....that was worked itself as the season went on.

We have had some good punters, some that were head hunters after very good punts, but none I can group with J.K Scott in punting ability,

I am not an expert, but with the length of NFL career's. PK's and punters have to be the best in the nation, maybe even over 2 years, to get a sniff in draft, J.K will get drafted. and I cannot remember that last time.

J.K Scott, imo, a recruit that coach Saban has allowed to have his own S&C coaching and support...will end up the best punter in my lifetime as a Bama fan,

If you want to talk Coach Stalling strategy, field position, Scott is the core. I cannot wait to see him this year.
Excellent post...I completely agree.

Having a punter with Scott's ability really takes some of the pressure off the coaches when they have to go from playing offense to playing defense. Scott doesn't get that many chances to punt, but when he does he makes the best of it.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Chris Mohr was pretty good too. He was the starting punter for UA for 3 seasons I think from 1985-1988. Was also named the SEC's best punter his senior season and appeared in 3 super bowls with the Bills. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mohr
Yep, The first time I saw Chris Mohr warming up, I was amazed....Ray Guy came to mind in 1985. He was booming punts higher and further than anyone I had ever seen in person......And I was a former punter myself. And Chris had a great NFL career.

JK is special.......

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I've seen a few good ones, Ray Guy from USM was probably the best though. Still Dustin Colquitt of UT, Herman "Thunderfoot" Weaver of UT, and Bobby "the Big Toe from Cairo" Walden of UGA were awfully good too. Not necessarily the best but one of my personal favorites was Gooby Stapp who played for us, and Chris Mohr wasn't shabby either.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is from WalterFootball.com 2017 draft and punter ratings. Been a long time since we had a Punter that was projected in the draft, especially as low as the 5th round.

JK Scott*, P, Alabama
Height: 6-5. Weight: 195.

Projected Round (2017): 5-7.
5/4/16: Scott was superb as a freshman for Alabama in 2014. He averaged a booming 48 yards per punt with a long of 73 yards. It turned out to be the best season ever for a punter in Alabama school history. Scott dropped 56 percent of his punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line (31-for-55). He was a First-Team All-SEC selection and finalist for the Ray Guy Award. Scott wasn't as good as a sophomore in 2015 with an average of 44 yards and a long of 59 yards.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017PU.php#vZW3AlAMRYkF3fCW.99

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.