The Pokemon Go Craziness

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Kids are so weird these days because of all the electronics. Thank god mine love sports and the outdoors. I have to drag them in every night from playing outside.
You must not know how the game works because it forces you to walk outside and be active. Quite the opposite of what you stated..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It's free to play, but I can definitely see kids wanting to wander off.

He is only 9. So I wouldn't want him going by himself. He only has an iPod with wifi..so it wouldn't really work out and about. I ended up downloading it on my phone and it is kind of cute. I am letting him help me find them. I like how it encourages you to walk around and get out and explore.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For those of you in the DC area, Arlington Cemetery asks you not to come searching for the Pokemon people there. Because that has to be told to people in the year 2016.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
For those of you in the DC area, Arlington Cemetery asks you not to come searching for the Pokemon people there. Because that has to be told to people in the year 2016.
crazy

http://kdvr.com/2016/07/12/holocaust-museum-please-stop-playing-pokemon-go-here/

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum issued a statement on Monday that requested visitors to stop playing Pokémon Go on its premises.

“Playing the game is not appropriate in the museum, which is a memorial to the victims of Nazism,” Andrew Hollinger, the museum’s communications director, told The Washington Post. “We are trying to find out if we can get the museum excluded from the game.”

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Warning: to everyone who downloads this game. I would suggest not putting it on your phone or ipad if you dont want your pictures and gps location know. Thats correct. If you load app you allow google access to all of your phones data. Including photos!! Hope they are all safe for work pics!!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Some people...

I have also seen the police departments posting about not trespassing. Of course people are blaming the game and not the idiots for all these mishaps.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Warning: to everyone who downloads this game. I would suggest not putting it on your phone or ipad if you dont want your pictures and gps location know. Thats correct. If you load app you allow google access to all of your phones data. Including photos!! Hope they are all safe for work pics!!

I wouldn't use a Google account to sign in. Since they can supposedly get all your data through your gmail account.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
There are some inadvertent side effects I am sure, but after hearing about how this is the worst generation, who are only interested in themselves and their devices, why are people getting their knickers in a twist over a game that has gotten people to get some exercise, start meeting people in real life and sharing experiences?

If you can't divorce the kids/young adults from their devices, why is something that uses it in a new and innovative way such a bad thing? Who here remembers counting, sorting, organizing and trading baseball cards for hours on end in their youth? If anything I applaud Nintendo for going out of their way to create a unique experience that gets kids outside again. Not to mention the way that it can help parents connect with their kids in a manner that they remember fondly from their youth and that their kids may actually want to share with them.

Seriously, I know that this is Non-Sports and the default attitude is that the world is going to hell, and it would be so much better if it would just go ahead and blow itself up, but this is getting ridiculous.

(Disclaimer, I don't play the game, haven't played it with my 3 year old, and never played Pokemon in my youth. But you can bet your tail I would be using whatever tools I could to keep myself interested in things he feels are important and if this were one of them I would hop my happy tail outside and chase virtual whatever with him just to spend more time with him. The reason he doesn't play this is because at 3 he's just not there, but if he were, I'd consider letting him play it.)

Last edited:

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I have a good friend who was at Bridge Street here in Huntsville and said tons of people were out doing that and we said the same thing. If it gets them out and walking and actually conversing with each other it's a good thing. He mentioned that people of all colors were conversing and laughing about it. Where is the bad in that and as far as people now being easily amused, I remember the Road Runner, Bugs Bunny, etc.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
There are some inadvertent side effects I am sure, but after hearing about how this is the worst generation, who are only interested in themselves and their devices, why are people getting their knickers in a twist over a game that has gotten people to get some exercise, start meeting people in real life and sharing experiences?

If you can't divorce the kids/young adults from their devices, why is something that uses it in a new and innovative way such a bad thing? Who here remembers counting, sorting, organizing and trading baseball cards for hours on end in their youth? If anything I applaud Nintendo for going out of their way to create a unique experience that gets kids outside again. Not to mention the way that it can help parents connect with their kids in a manner that they remember fondly from their youth and that their kids may actually want to share with them.

Seriously, I know that this is Non-Sports and the default attitude is that the world is going to hell, and it would be so much better if it would just go ahead and blow itself up, but this is getting ridiculous.

(Disclaimer, I don't play the game, haven't played it with my 3 year old, and never played Pokemon in my youth. But you can bet your tail I would be using whatever tools I could to keep myself interested in things he feels are important and if this were one of them I would hop my happy tail outside and chase virtual whatever with him just to spend more time with him. The reason he doesn't play this is because at 3 he's just not there, but if he were, I'd consider letting him play it.)

Dude, it's a pop-culture phenomenon that people are chuckling over the comical nature of running around and "catching" virtual Pokemon. It's not that big of deal and I doubt very many are making a value judgment outside of the nature of game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.