GA News: OnlineAthens - Kirby Smart: QB starter will be best leader and offer best opportunity

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
July 12th, 2016 12:04 PM

HOOVER, Ala.--Armchair quarterbacks have come up with a couple of different schools of thought on how Georgia’s precarious position at running back may play into the decision on who will start at quarterback for Georgia.
One is that senior Greyson Lambert’s experience as the returning starter will be needed now more than ever if Nick Chubb’s knee and Sony Michel’s forearm injuries don’t allow them to play Sept. 3 against North Carolina in the opener.
Or the flipside is that freshman Jacob Eason’s arm talent and big-play ability will be needed if the running game is missing its top playmakers.
“At the end of the day, we’ve got to put the best guy that gives us a chance to win,” Smart, who also has redshirt junior Brice Ramsey competing for the job, said Wednesday at SEC Media Days. “Well, you say if you don’t have either back, which I certainly hope that’s not the case, does it become a situation where you’ve got to go throw the ball better? We’ve got to go look at the long term, not just the first game. There’s more to this season than the first game. We’re not putting all of our eggs in the first game basket. We’ve got to figure out who’s going to be our best leader and give us the best opportunity to win. I don’t think that’s dictated by who the back is or if there’s a back healthy or if there’s two backs healthy.”
While the quarterbacks were one of the hot topics of conversation when Georgia coach Smart and three Bulldogs players made the rounds Tuesday morning at the Wynfrey Hotel, Eason was slated to be in California for the Gatorade Athlete of the Year ceremony. Eason was named its national football player of the year.
The award nominees are scheduled to walk the red carpet before Wednesday’s ESPY Awards in Los Angeles.
Eason lit up G-Day by completing 19 of 29 passes for 244 yards and a touchdown, but worked with the second-team offense against the second-team defense.
“I don’t think I’m too worried about it; whoever comes out as the top quarterback is going to be great,” center Brandon Kublanow said diplomatically. “I don’t think there’s as much uncertainty. Maybe as to who it is, but all three of them have been great quarterbacks.”
Smart said Lambert, Ramsey and Eason were “pretty balanced in the reps they took,” in the spring.
“The options we’re going to weigh are going to be what gives us the best chance to win,” Smart said.
He noted the distinction that he didn’t say simply “we’re going to play the best player. We’re going to play the best player that gives us the best opportunity to win football games. And I don’t know who that is. If I knew, I promise you, I would tell you. I would give you the information. But I don’t know that.”
Smart said he will sit down with offensive coordinator Jim Chaney during preseason practices to make the big decision.
“We’ll make that decision hopefully sooner than later,” he said.

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.