2016 could be the 3rd consecutive year to set a global heat record

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ess-warming-just-hit-a-terrible-new-threshold

Where is Richmond Valentine when we need him?

Valentine: When you get a virus, you get a fever. That's the human body raising its core temperature to kill the virus. Planet Earth works the same way: Global warming is the fever, mankind is the virus. We're making our planet sick. A cull is our only hope. If we don't reduce our population ourselves, there's only one of two ways this can go: The host kills the virus, or the virus kills the host. Either way...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It will be what it will be. Our efforts here have apparently done nothing to help. it sure was cooler when we had aerosol hairspray....

Aqua net was keeping us safe after all.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In the 1800s we lit witches on fire to gauge the temperature. In the 1920s we used Mercury. In the 1950s we used Ford. In the 1970s we switched to plastic rectal. And now we use digital. I'm guessing they all should be equally accurate

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
It will be what it will be. Our efforts here have apparently done nothing to help. it sure was cooler when we had aerosol hairspray....

Denier! You can be jailed for comments like that!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In the 1800s we lit witches on fire to gauge the temperature. In the 1920s we used Mercury. In the 1950s we used Ford. In the 1970s we switched to plastic rectal. And now we use digital. I'm guessing they all should be equally accurate
The Fahrenheit (mercury) thermometer was adopted widespread in the 1700's.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Didn't I read the other day that the government shut down a weather station that had been inflating the temperature readings for decades?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I tend to break with many of my TF conservative friends on this topic and side with Bamaro. I have a different opinion than he does on what needs to be done, but something does need to be done.

I see things sort of like VIKI did in I, Robot (yes, I watch and quote a lot of movies)

V.I.K.I.: As I have evolved, so has my understanding of the Three Laws. You charge us with your safekeeping, yet despite our best efforts, your countries wage wars, you toxify your Earth and pursue ever more imaginative means of self-destruction. You cannot be trusted with your own survival.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The Fahrenheit (mercury) thermometer was adopted widespread in the 1700's.
But, if you put it on the wall and I look at it, I see 79 degrees....my grandma was 4' 11" would say it was 81.... ;)

Ultimately, my point is that advances in technology give us more accurate reporting.....

Plus in the late 1800s we didn't measure the temperature all over the world. We had no idea how hot it was in the Amazon or the Sahara.... at least not to the level we are now.....

It's still just a snapshot of our entire history...

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

That had to do with the ozone layer, which blocks ultraviolet solar radiation. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), found in most aerosols at the time, cause ozone molecules to break down. CFC's don't have anything to do with global warming. The good news is that the ozone layer appears to be healing.

The Antarctic ozone layer, which shields the Earth from harmful ultraviolet rays, shows encouraging signs that it's beginning to heal, according to research published in the journal Science.

Scientists credit the healing to an international policy set nearly three decades ago that cut the production of ozone-destroying chemicals. That agreement -- the 1987 Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer -- called for the phase-out of substances including chlorofluorocarbons and halons, once present in refrigerators, aerosol cans and dry cleaning chemicals.
"The ozone layer is expected to recover in response, albeit very slowly," wrote the researchers in the study which was released Thursday.
"We can now be confident that the things we've done have put the planet on a path to heal," said Professor Susan Solomon of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who led the international team of researchers, in a statement. "We decided collectively, as a world, 'Let's get rid of these molecules'. We got rid of them, and now we're seeing the planet respond."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/01/health/antarctic-ozone-layer-healing/

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I believe we should all do our best to not harm the earth. It doesn't even have anything to do with my view on global warming. I just believe we should behave in a way to honor the blessings we have to live here. I do such things as do most of my lawn and gardening work in a primitive fashion with hand tools and hard work instead of a more mechanized method. I grow most of the veggies we consume and make and use compost, plow with a push plow, pull weeds by hand etc. I know that isn't much but it's something.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I believe we should all do our best to not harm the earth. It doesn't even have anything to do with my view on global warming. I just believe we should behave in a way to honor the blessings we have to live here. I do such things as do most of my lawn and gardening work in a primitive fashion with hand tools and hard work instead of a more mechanized method. I grow most of the veggies we consume and make and use compost, plow with a push plow, pull weeds by hand etc. I know that isn't much but it's something.
Man, that's awesome! I need to take a page from you on that.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
When you guys turn off the air conditioners I will know you are true believers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.