Alabama at SEC Media Days Today (7/13)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
All I've got to say is the SEC crew and Finebaum better grill Hugh Freeze tomorrow. For all the allegations and smoke coming from his program Finebaum and company better go in hard on him. They tried to show up Saban when no charges have been filed against the accused players meanwhile there's video of the MSU player beating a downed woman and video admission of being paid by Tunsil. Both those situations are far worse than the Cam/Hootie incident..

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Finebaum had to ask Saban, simply because he tools on all the other coaches on his show everytime he gets a chance. He should of gotten with Saban sometime before going on air to go over this topic, because he should of know that Saban was not going to be nice if backed into a corner on tv.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I know I am in the minority but I respect Paul for the career he has built for himself. Funny thing is that he has been made out to be the SEC guru given his coverage of Alabama sports so he breaks out the big stick on the one man that will crush him every time...which is exactly what happened in this interview. Saban proved him to be the dweeb he really is.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Paul is allegedly on good terms with Saban...I wouldn't doubt that this was sort of a setup. It was the elephant in the room and Saban won that round...he didn't have to field the question on the podium, he got to do it in a roundtable scenario and made his case.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Finebaum had to ask Saban, simply because he tools on all the other coaches on his show everytime he gets a chance. He should of gotten with Saban sometime before going on air to go over this topic, because he should of know that Saban was not going to be nice if backed into a corner on tv.
I don't doubt that there was a wink and a nod on this one. Saban disarmed them all pretty quick.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Just reposting this from the article:

[FONT="]After the show went to commercial, Finebaum and Saban continued their heated exchange. Within earshot of media, Saban launched into a four-letter tirade directed at Finebaum. In it, he used his fingers to note the amount of marijuana found in the car and insinuated the arresting officers were disgruntled LSU fans.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
I supposed the phrase "directed at Finebaum" could be interpreted a few ways and this writers perception could be skewed as well.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff but I'm not certain which article you pulled the quote from.

I went back and skimmed through the original thread about the guys getting arrested, 16 pages, it makes for interesting reading now that things have been sorted out. As best I could tell, the following quote, posted on June 20, proved to be the first on target, if I understood Saban's point of view at the media event today.

[QUOTE="AlistarWills, post: 2834653, member: 12131"]At what point does this begin to sound like someone in Louisiana was still butthurt that Hootie and Cam left the state to play football and the DA had better sense?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Finebaum had to ask the question, particularly given the circus surrounding Mullen's song and dance the day before, and Saban answered it very well. All things considered, including CNS' importance to the SEC Network, it would not surprise me if the TV crew let Saban know ahead of time what was coming. And yes, I've always heard that Finebaum and CNS are pretty good friends.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Finebaum had to ask the question, particularly given the circus surrounding Mullen's song and dance the day before, and Saban answered it very well. All things considered, including CNS' importance to the SEC Network, it would not surprise me if the TV crew let Saban know ahead of time what was coming. And yes, I've always heard that Finebaum and CNS are pretty good friends.
I've heard they're dinner buds. And that Ms. Terry and Finebaum's wife are real good friends..

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Saban said almost exactly what I was thinking. Why should he, or we, care about any criticism from the media or the public?

I mean, do we need their approval for Alabama's internal discipline issues?

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Saban said almost exactly what I was thinking. Why should he, or we, care about any criticism from the media or the public?

I mean, do we need their approval for Alabama's internal discipline issues?
Approval? Not in the least. But no one is above accountability and legitimate criticism. This is our public university, which CNS has almost universally enhanced since his arrival. I'm glad Finebaum asked the question because I wanted to hear our coach's answer. He answered it well.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Approval? Not in the least. But no one is above accountability and legitimate criticism. This is our public university, which CNS has almost universally enhanced since his arrival. I'm glad Finebaum asked the question because I wanted to hear our coach's answer. He answered it well.
That's an interesting statement about accountability. I'm not sure I feel I have a right to answers from the coach at Alabama in the same way I would a democratically elected official. As far as his accountability goes it's to Bill Battle, the University as a whole and the players. I'm not sure how much accountability I, as a fan, can demand of him.....and he really didn't say anything new, he just repeated what we already knew in a stern matter for all the blowhard pundits to choke on.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Is it the university's place to punish students for crimes not committed?

For a normal student, the answer is no.

For a highly visible student-athlete, the answer is...yes, I guess.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Is it the university's place to punish students for crimes not committed?

For a normal student, the answer is no.

For a highly visible student-athlete, the answer is...yes, I guess.
i don't believe that. I spend a lot of time around courts, prosecutors and police as part of my job. Those arrests seemed weird from the start. Saban did say his players are/will be disciplined for putting themselves in that position. Good.

As for accountability, I wish we had more of it when the athletic department was run by incompetents like Bockrath and Dubose. Anytime the reputation of my university is brought into question, I want more than a handful of people discussing what's at stake.

For the record: Nick Saban makes me proud almost all the time. Not so long ago, 5 million Penn State alums said the same thing about their coach.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Finebaum did his job by asking the questions that many people wanted to hear, and Coach Saban did his job by answering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
i don't believe that. I spend a lot of time around courts, prosecutors and police as part of my job. Those arrests seemed weird from the start. Saban did say his players are/will be disciplined for putting themselves in that position. Good.

As for accountability, I wish we had more of it when the athletic department was run by incompetents like Bockrath and Dubose. Anytime the reputation of my university is brought into question, I want more than a handful of people discussing what's at stake.

For the record: Nick Saban makes me proud almost all the time. Not so long ago, 5 million Penn State alums said the same thing about their coach.
I don't see any reason to qualify it.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Finebaum did his job by asking the questions that many people wanted to hear, and Coach Saban did his job by answering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Precisely. Was just about to post the exact same thing. They both handled themselves well, unless Saban was excoriating Paul for asking the question. No call for that. It's Paul's job. I think the surprise here is that Paul actually did the job he was supposed to do because so often he doesn't.

Paul also likes Freeze and has said so many times. Like others here, I want to see how he handles him tomorrow.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think coach Saban handled it well. Even if he did suspend the players for the USC game, some people would still say it's not enough. The media will not be the entity that decides their punishment. It is a good thing that coach really doesn't publicly give in. I'm proud of Coach Saban! RTR!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Coach Saban was answering Finebaum's original question and then Finebaum interrupted him, raised his voice and called him out and that is when coach got angry. TBH, I would have also and Finebaum will probably be lucky if Coach talks to him again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.