Alabama at SEC Media Days Today (7/13)

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Coach Saban was answering Finebaum's original question and then Finebaum interrupted him, raised his voice and called him out and that is when coach got angry. TBH, I would have also and Finebaum will probably be lucky if Coach talks to him again.
I thought Finebaum was questioning his integrity by not accepting the way he is handling the situation as good enough to satisfy the media. This made Saban angry, rightfully so.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
I thought Finebaum was questioning his integrity by not accepting the way he is handling the situation as good enough to satisfy the media. This made Saban angry, rightfully so.

Also I think Saban's anger was from Finebaum and the media in general making their mind up on what the punishment should be based on the little info that has been released. Saban probably lost some respect for Finebaum today, I know I did.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Finebaum had to ask the question, particularly given the circus surrounding Mullen's song and dance the day before, and Saban answered it very well. All things considered, including CNS' importance to the SEC Network, it would not surprise me if the TV crew let Saban know ahead of time what was coming. And yes, I've always heard that Finebaum and CNS are pretty good friends.
Coach Saban knew what was coming. I have never seen him blindsided or caught off guard. The man is brilliant.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
As an aside. When did SEC media days get so fancy. What happened to the team logo tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The criticism disguised as a question was just to puff up Finebaum's standing among anti-Bama loyalists. He does it over and over again year after year with different teams and people still go into Gomer Pyle "Gol-lee!" mode when he does it. Maybe legitimate criticism for Saban can wait until we know what the punishment is going to be. We don't now. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate Finebaum for sending Rich Rodriguez packing. But not much else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I seriously doubt that Saban thought that his integrity had been challenged by Finebaum. I suspect that Saban was doing what Saban does - talking to his players through the media.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This article is a waste of time. It states that the first officer on the scene is not an LSU fan, but it goes on to say that he called for backup and that the other officers who arrived made the arrest. So, really, who cares if the first officer is not an LSU fan? Does it matter? He is not the one who let the other two guys walk while only arresting the 2 Alabama players.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think coach Saban handled it well. Even if he did suspend the players for the USC game, some people would still say it's not enough. The media will not be the entity that decides their punishment. It is a good thing that coach really doesn't publicly give in. I'm proud of Coach Saban! RTR!

Who cares what barners think anyways...:cool2:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Like him or not PF asked the question he should have asked and what people expected him to ask.
He would have lost a lot of what credibility he has if he didn't ask.

CNS was not caught off guard. Everyone in the country knew he was going to be asked about the issue.

It's a big 'meh' to me.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Like him or not PF asked the question he should have asked and what people expected him to ask.
He would have lost a lot of what credibility he has if he didn't ask.

CNS was not caught off guard. Everyone in the country knew he was going to be asked about the issue.

It's a big 'meh' to me.
I am sorry, but when did he ever earn credibility. I for one will never forget the Crap he wrote about Coach Bryant in his final years. Those of us who were around back then will never forget. He is a entertainer, one that ESPN took advantage of. Lets see how much he gets into Ole Miss coach H. Freeze . I bet he backs way off the NCAA charges. He just wants Bama fans ticked so you will watch his show.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As a broadcast journalist, your job is to generate interest, not to kiss butt of the interviewee.
Radio and T.V Networks make money selling advertising, and they can't do it, if their content is "yes man boring".
I don't know if it was rigged or whatever, but I admire Finebaum, for standing his ground.
Coach Saban is possibly the best football coach ever, but he's not some non-accountable God!
He should answer legitimate questions, and he has a tendency to avoid that situation in controversial scenarios.
If I were a journalist, and was at the next press conference, my first question would be, "Coach, why are you holding up Maurice Smith's transfer"? I really wouldn't care what he said, I'd hammer him for any reason he gave. Maurice Smith isn't Nick Saban's slave, he's going to graduate in August, and deserves to go where he wants to go.
Is there anybody who wants to seriously argue with that?
sip

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Reading the comments of other fans on the net reminds me it's good when other fans hate your coach. It's so very good !

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As a broadcast journalist, your job is to generate interest, not to kiss butt of the interviewee.
Radio and T.V Networks make money selling advertising, and they can't do it, if their content is "yes man boring".
I don't know if it was rigged or whatever, but I admire Finebaum, for standing his ground.
Coach Saban is possibly the best football coach ever, but he's not some non-accountable God!
He should answer legitimate questions, and he has a tendency to avoid that situation in controversial scenarios.
If I were a journalist, and was at the next press conference, my first question would be, "Coach, why are you holding up Maurice Smith's transfer"? I really wouldn't care what he said, I'd hammer him for any reason he gave. Maurice Smith isn't Nick Saban's slave, he's going to graduate in August, and deserves to go where he wants to go.
sip
He addressed that issue yesterday.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
sip
Anywhere except UGA. Can't set a precedent that players can leave the program to follow assistant coaches when they leave..

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think Paul comes off more aggressive than he should when he is on a panel like that. If it were an interview with Saban on his show, I think it would have been better.

^^^This^^^

Paul made the mistake of going into attack mode, in a forum where it came off as over the top, complete with rude interruptions.

Which, as you could tell from the look in CNS' eyes, and the escalation in his tone, was, understandably, unwelcome...

Resulting in the following priceless gem, once Coach had finished eating Paul's lunch...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.