Alabama at SEC Media Days Today (7/13)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban to the media: It's exciting to see you...
Saban: "I'm usually up here responding to some barb from coach Spurrier."
Saban: Alabama's players report Aug. 3, will start practice the next day
Saban said after this week, the Alabama coaches will be back. The players report Aug. 3 and fall camp begins Aug. 4
Saban said Jonathan Allen and Eddie Jackson will graduate in December, while O.J. Howard is working on his master's degree.
Saban: Anything that I say about my team has already been written about.
Saban: "We've had a very good offseason. I'm pleased with the progress that we made."
Saban on QBs: "Somebody's gotta win that job. Somebody's gotta win the team. That hasn't necessarily happened yet."
Saban: Quarterback situation will be figured out in fall camp
Saban: This is our first year that we haven't had an experienced running back who has proven their value.
Saban: The diversity we had on defense last year was nearly perfect for what you need. Not sure we have all of those parts this year.
Saban on bringing in OL coach Brent Key: I thought we needed some help in that area.
Saban on Howard: O.J. has been outstanding for us and is a very unselfish guy. He's contributed a lot and doesn't always get recognized.
Saban says he still disagrees philosophically with no-huddle offense but if it creates issues for the defense, you have to go that direction
Saban on facing former assistants: "Your focus is on what can you do to help our group of players, regardless of who you're playing."
Saban said O.J. Howard has improved dramatically as a blocker and thinks last year was his best year in doing that.
Saban asked about depth of front seven last year: "I don't think we have that depth this year."
Saban said Tim Williams, Ryan Anderson and Rashaan Evans are going to have to be key players this fall in bigger roles
Saban: “We really appreciate, even though I get blasted sometimes for how I view the press, that’s not the case. I appreciate what you do."

Saban says there's a meeting scheduled in the near future with the NFL to discuss early entrants and how they could return/get better info.
Saban: "Cam and Hootie were not charged. The facts that we have are different than advertised."
Saban: Robinson and Jones weren't charged. The facts we have are different than what was advertised. They've changed behavior.
Saban dodges the question on whether Cam and Hootie will miss playing time, but says they've been doing everything right since the incident.
Saban: If Robinson/Jones continue to finish community service tasks they will be able to play in the opener
Saban: "To think the only way to help players is suspend them for games is a punitive attitude that may not be correct."
Saban: "I think the prosecutor made the decision based on the body of work and what the laws are."
Saban on universal punishment system: I'm not sure you have to have a national rule that "this has to be the punishment"
Saban says Alabama's marijuana policy is superior to the NCAA, which suspends players half a season. Says Alabama works to change behavior.
Nick Saban says Clemson's Deshaun Watson had the most significant impact on a game of any quarterback Alabama has faced since Cam Newton
Saban says Cooper Bateman is a hard worker. Has most knowledge of offense. Says he is very bright. Pleased with what he's been able to do.
Saban on if LSU rivalry lost anything: I think any player on our team will tell you, one of the most physical games we play is against LSU.
Re: Maurice Smith: Saban said he wants him at Bama and doesn't feel it's in his best interest to transfer to an SEC school and sit a year.
Saban: Alabama is not seeking to prevent grad transfers but does agree w/ SEC rule requiring a year in residency within the league

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Players talking...

Eddie Jackson says Shyheim Carter is one of the freshmen who have stood out to him this offseason at Bama.

Jonathan Allen "hardest practices of yr is getting ready for LSU"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Entire on air exchange here..

Al.com has the video (no audio) of Saban unleashing into Finebaum off air...

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Entire on air exchange here..

Al.com has the video (no audio) of Saban unleashing into Finebaum off air...

Thankyou big time for the links.

I loved seeing Saban tell Finebaum he doesn't care about criticism Finebaum might level against him.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Finebaum did say that Saban wasn't angry at him during the off-the-air discussion. More at the situation.
Just reposting this from the article:

[FONT=&quot]After the show went to commercial, Finebaum and Saban continued their heated exchange. Within earshot of media, Saban launched into a four-letter tirade directed at Finebaum. In it, he used his fingers to note the amount of marijuana found in the car and insinuated the arresting officers were disgruntled LSU fans.
[/FONT]

I supposed the phrase "directed at Finebaum" could be interpreted a few ways and this writers perception could be skewed as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.