Alabama at SEC Media Days Today (7/13)

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
As a broadcast journalist, your job is to generate interest, not to kiss butt of the interviewee.
Radio and T.V Networks make money selling advertising, and they can't do it, if their content is "yes man boring".
I don't know if it was rigged or whatever, but I admire Finebaum, for standing his ground.
Coach Saban is possibly the best football coach ever, but he's not some non-accountable God!
He should answer legitimate questions, and he has a tendency to avoid that situation in controversial scenarios.
If I were a journalist, and was at the next press conference, my first question would be, "Coach, why are you holding up Maurice Smith's transfer"? I really wouldn't care what he said, I'd hammer him for any reason he gave. Maurice Smith isn't Nick Saban's slave, he's going to graduate in August, and deserves to go where he wants to go.
Is there anybody who wants to seriously argue with that?
sip

So if Finebaum gets a DUI and then charges are dropped 3 months later, based on his way of thinking he should still get his license suspended and insurance rates increased, just because he did something 'we' all view as illegal and that is what should fit the crime? Saban is upset because the media has made up their minds about what the punishment should be long before any real facts come out, most of which Finebaum has no clue what are and never will. He even admitted to this on tv yesterday. All Finebaum basses his view on is a stolen gun and pot. Sure, ask the questions all you want since no other media guy did, but leave your jury, judgement and executioner opinion out of it. I highly doubt Saban would have reacted the same way if Finebaum would not have made it known he did not agree with the punishment, which I think shocked Saban. My view on why Saban gets upset with the media, is because they are all stupid and are un prepared to have a logical conversation. They all ask the obvious with no real observations behind the questions. Finebaum generally does not do this during an interview, but he did yesterday. I think Saban put Finebaum in the same catagery as all the other media guys he deals with after yesterday, just another idiot with a laptop and tape recorder.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I've watched the clip several times and carefully listened to the words exchanged.

In my opinion CNS handled everything exactly as I would want my head coach to handle them. He politely answered the questions and provided more than enough insight regarding his thought process.

And as Rush pointed out - Finebaum actually interrupted Coach Saban at one point - which I've always thought was a bush league move by any journalist.

In the end I would want my head coach to look out for the players, which is the #1 goal of any sports program anyway. Especially in college when they are at a significant crossroads in their lives.

Just my 2 cents....

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I would not put it past CNS and Finebaum to maybe have staged some of this.
Based on what I saw I'd say "No" to it being staged. I think CNS was upset because of the delivery and timing of the question, not that it wasn't expected. Had Pawl been more professional with his approach (Oxymoron I know) then CNS may have given him a sneer and a pass. As he's done before.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

CECIL HURT: Don't question Saban's compassion for his team

I don't think Nick Saban was frustrated because he was asked a question at SEC Media Days on Wednesday.

I think he was frustrated because he wasn't asked the right question.

The video of an angry Saban responding to the SEC Network's Paul Finebaum and his questions about the Cam Robinson/Hootie Jones situation were the hot news from Media Days, an event which always seems to center on Saban and what he does or doesn't say. Finebaum wasn't the only reporter who asked about Robinson during the day, nor were such questions inappropriate. The questions didn't catch Saban by surprise. He knew that he would likely be asked about Jones and Robinson since he's made no public comment about their status with the Alabama team since the charges me with their May arrest in Monroe, Louisiana, were dropped.

Saban explained his thinking in the matter, and was asked again. And I think the coach finally reached a point where a particular implication became annoying, or more than annoying. There is an idea among many college football fans that whether the players are suspended and miss playing time, or they don't, is all that and matters. If you're an Alabama fan, you want players to play. If you're not, you want them to sit. And ultimately no one asks this question.

"What's best for the players?"

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I think we also have to factor in what the alleged incident was/is.

Battery against a woman.....or sexual battery...domestic battery....or anything like that.....there's no question those players are going to be 'processed' differently than with other situations.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
I find it interesting that most everyone outside of those who support Alabama only mention Cam Robinson. It seems obvious that they are trying to imply that CNS is only being lenient on Cam because he is a star. Everything I've seen indicates that Hootie Jones is going through a similar regimen as Cam, which means CNS is treating them the same regardless of playing status. I do believe as a previous poster said, that when PF not only interrupted him, but raised his voice and tone, that CNS was totally intolerant of the challenge and perceived disrespect. I feel that with the current climate nationally, he erred in referencing the two others who were not charged, thereby opening the door to comments about him implying there was Police bias. It may or may not have been, but with all that's going on right now, I think it would have been better not to go there.
I have always agreed with CNS's approach to changing behavior versus punishment and penalty. Since there was nothing to prosecute for gun possession since it's legal, nothing to prosecute for a stolen gun since he didn't steal it nor know that it was stolen, nothing to prosecute for being in a rental car that had a trace amount of weed that couldn't be assigned to anyone in the car, the only actual law that appears to have been broken was being in a closed park. I think CNS's approach is completely appropriate, and the players involved will not put themselves in such a position again. Mission accomplished.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.