Trump or Hillary...and why?

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Honest question. Is there anything at all that you like about the GOP?
Yes, I really really like the idea of sensible de-regulation and eliminating, consolidating, etc. outdated and inefficient federal agencies and other bodies. I am generally pro-business - with some exceptions. In CA, we are call "mods" or moderate Democrats.

It's the social wedge issue politics of the GOP that have eliminated any chance of me voting GOP any time soon. They like to talk about Reagan, but I think Reagan would be spinning in his grave about this year's GOP platform (e.g., getting into "traditional" marriage, anti-LGBT stuff, transgender use of bathrooms).

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Anything in particular you care to discuss?
Nuts was too strong of a word. I was basing that on some of what I had seen and read of the delegates' discussion of the platform. The platform in writing is actually quite sensible. I like a lot of it - the overwhelming majority of it actually.

I think selling insurance across state lines is a mistake, barring a complete restructuring of how insurance is governed among states and feds.

I also think repealing ALL laws related to all drugs, medicinal and recreational, would be a grievous error. I get decriminalization of marijuana and am all for it - but decriminalizing heroin, cocaine, MDMA, etc. would be bad news IMHO. Also, the FDA came to regulate medicines for a reason, and the makers of these medicines must have certain protections for their products or Americans would never see a new drug hit the market and probably lose access to a lot of safe and effective medicines.

I don't quite understand what they are trying to say in the point on the environment, but I'm not sure I agree with the basic tenet of further reducing government's role in environmental protection even from a libertarian perspective. Same goes for their point on illegal legal tender.

Finally, if CA has taught the country anything, it's that enabling more initiatives and referendums is not always a good thing and often just lead to more initiatives and referendums to fix what was done before via initiatives and referendums. I think they should be very very rare.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Nuts was too strong of a word. I was basing that on some of what I had seen and read of the delegates' discussion of the platform. The platform in writing is actually quite sensible. I like a lot of it - the overwhelming majority of it actually.

I think selling insurance across state lines is a mistake, barring a complete restructuring of how insurance is governed among states and feds.

I also think repealing ALL laws related to all drugs, medicinal and recreational, would be a grievous error. I get decriminalization of marijuana and am all for it - but decriminalizing heroin, cocaine, MDMA, etc. would be bad news IMHO. Also, the FDA came to regulate medicines for a reason, and the makers of these medicines must have certain protections for their products or Americans would never see a new drug hit the market and probably lose access to a lot of safe and effective medicines.

I don't quite understand what they are trying to say in the point on the environment, but I'm not sure I agree with the basic tenet of further reducing government's role in environmental protection even from a libertarian perspective. Same goes for their point on illegal legal tender.

Finally, if CA has taught the country anything, it's that enabling more initiatives and referendums is not always a good thing and often just lead to more initiatives and referendums to fix what was done before via initiatives and referendums. I think they should be very very rare.
Thanks for responding. Officially, Johnson wants to legalize only marijuana. He does believe the war on drugs is a catastrophic failure and I'm not sure how anyone could argue that with a straight face. He wants to treat drug problems as a public health problem rather than focusing on criminal punishment. He has voiced support for local programs like needle exchanges and testing drug potency to reduce overdose deaths. This approach would be a radical departure from past failures and would likely present new failures and some successes.

I understand the insurance issue would require a big overhaul of existing law, although I am not nearly as versed in it as you are.

The FDA is a necessary "evil". Overall, the need is there. The implementation is sometimes lacking. I would reform it extensively. I haven't read the full position papers myself from the Libertarian party, so I may not be familiar with some detail (or broad plan) you have a contention with other than libertarians tend to oppose government programs big and small.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.