Things in Turkey Just Got Fun This Friday

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Turkish military blocks Istanbul bridges

Both of the main bridges in the Turkish city of Istanbul have been closed by security forces, reports say.

Traffic has been stopped from crossing both the Bosphorus and Fatih Sultan Mehmet bridges, but no reasons have been given.

There are also reports of military aircraft flying over the capital Ankara, with gunshots heard.
From the AP on Twitter:

BREAKING: Military jets flying over Turkish capital Ankara; military vehicles blocking bridges in Istanbul, reports say.
BREAKING: Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says a group within the military engaged in an attempted coup.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
well Erdogan, the President of Turkey is one of the more deserving world leaders of a coup, let's hope that it is a friendly regime taking over

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Professional and personal contacts in Turkey have told me The Turkish constitution provides the Military the legal right, in fact the obligation, to overthrow the current government if the current government is attempting to move Turkey back to a Theocracy. So strong was the desire to westernize and become a republic, the country adopted this constitution in 1924 (I think).

I wonder if today's affairs are connected to this in any way????

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado

Turkish military declares takeover of country, top officials reportedly taken hostage

“Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and the general security that was damaged,” the military said in a statement. “All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue.”

https://www.rt.com/news/351343-turkey-coup-military-attempt/

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Professional and personal contacts in Turkey have told me The Turkish constitution provides the Military the legal right, in fact the obligation, to overthrow the current government if the current government is attempting to move Turkey back to a Theocracy. So strong was the desire to westernize and become a republic, the country adopted this constitution in 1924 (I think).

TY! I knew that at one time but I'd forgotten it...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The Turkish and Egyptian militaries tend to be more secular and keep the radicalization in check. Glad they did this.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Meh.

But if ccc2259 posted is true, this is almost certainly a good thing for the people of Turkey.
This will be something like the fifth time they have overthrown the government. Each time they have returned the rule of the country to its people. They take the guardianship of Atatürk's legacy very seriously. I'm not too concerned.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is will be something like the fifth time they have overthrown the government. Each time they have returned the rule of the country to its people. They take the guardianship of Atatürk's legacy very seriously. I'm not too concerned.
That's very cool! I'm pretty ignorant of the modern history over there - very interesting to read this as I was totally unaware. Thank you.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
TY! I knew that at one time but I'd forgotten it...
Kemal Attaturk cast about and realized that being "oriental" was not the future. He was one of the guys pushing Turkish to switch to using the Latin alphabet, rather than the Arabic script. The language staid the same, but how Turks wrote changed.
Attaturk was very much an Occidentalist.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
This will be something like the fifth time they have overthrown the government. Each time they have returned the rule of the country to its people. They take the guardianship of Atatürk's legacy very seriously. I'm not too concerned.

Doesn't look like all of the military got the memo...CNN says a Turkish presidential source reporting a Turkish fighter shot down a helicopter commandeered by "coup plotters"...get out the popcorn...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.