Link: Alabama can literally field a 5* defense if they want...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Thinking about the potential of Bama's 2016 D has me very excited! I've always thought the best defense I've ever seen at Bama, top to bottom, was the '92 Defense. To me, the 2016 D could be just as special! Thanks for the link, good read! 😎

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I believe the 2011 defense to be the best college defense I've ever seen.

2016, on paper, has more potential than 2011 did, imo. Time will tell if they can play that well. That said, if they even play close to potential, Bama will be very, very tough to beat...
It's pretty close. That '92 squad was able to carry that team. 2011 was great, too. I'd take either one. But 2016 is shaping up to potentially be a special year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's pretty close. That '92 squad was able to carry that team. 2011 was great, too. I'd take either one. But 2016 is shaping up to potentially be a special year.
Oh yah, I attended Bama for the 92 season - I knew quite a few of those players (sold them stereo equipment). But the 2011 team was full of outright freaks. And I believe 2016 has even better athletes, only time will tell if they can work together to be the best they can be...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Our D has the potential to be the best D ever fielded at Bama with each passing year of "The Process"..It's an awesome time for us Bama Fans & to the chagrin of the rest of college football..This ride is far from over & lots more records will be broken along the way..RTR!!!!!!...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I love the Saban era,and he's absolutely the best coach in football in my opinion.
That includes the pro's.
And I know it's a completely different era. But the 1966 missing ring team was, for it's era, the best Bama defensive team I've ever witnessed in person. Giving up 37 points in a regular season is pretty profound, but giving up less than a foot a punt return is beyond impressive.
That's the best Bama defense and football team I ever saw.
92 would be my second place, and 2011 would be third.
ALL...were completely awesome!!
I'm sure there are those older than me who would say the Leroy Jordan led defenses were better. I think the 61 team, Bryant's first national title team, gave up only around 24 points or close to that number.
I didn't see that team personally so I can't make a first hand observation.
But, even with all the greatness in Coach Saban's era, the 66 Bama football defense, and the entire team, was the best college football team I've ever seen.
RTR! They were simply awesome.
sip

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I love the Saban era,and he's absolutely the best coach in football in my opinion.
That includes the pro's.
And I know it's a completely different era. But the 1966 missing ring team was, for it's era, the best Bama defensive team I've ever witnessed in person. Giving up 37 points in a regular season is pretty profound, but giving up less than a foot a punt return is beyond impressive.
I'm sure there are those older than me who would say the Leroy Jordan led defenses were better. I think the 61 team, Bryant's first national title team, gave up only around 24 points or close to that number.
But, even with all the greatness in Coach Saban's era, the 66 Bama football defense, and the entire team, was the best college football team I've ever seen.
sip
I just love the fact that as a fanbase we can have these types of discussions. Just imagine being some fans and only being able to talk about one year out of 125 years of playing.

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
The biggest thing I loved about the 92 defense was very few QB's actually finished the game, I think 2 or 3. The local newspaper did an article about it back in 09 comparing defenses. That being said I hope this year defense give qb's something to fear when watching game tape.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That includes the pro's.
sip
I`m old enough to have had the pleasure of watching them all, from `58 till now. Coach Bryant, I think, thought the `66 team was the best one he ever had. `66, `92 and `11 have been my personal favorites. So many great players, LRJ and the Snake are probably my two all time favs with Derrick Thomas close behind. Stabler was probably the best all around athlete, certainly in high school, I ever saw. As great as he was on the football field, throwing a baseball was the best thing he ever did, IMHO. You couldn`t even see the thing!!

tidegrandpa

All-American
That includes the pro's.
sip
I was roller skating in a rink that Saturday afternoon Mich St and ND tied. It was a 1 1/2 mile walk home from rink.
I ran most the way to hear the score. I was thrilled to hear a 10-10 tie. We had to be #1 again. Boy was I wrong. Still p_sses me off.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Thinking about the potential of Bama's 2016 D has me very excited! I've always thought the best defense I've ever seen at Bama, top to bottom, was the '92 Defense. To me, the 2016 D could be just as special! Thanks for the link, good read! 
Maybe you missed the 2011 season? ;-) Also, for the adjustments we made to handle faster football, I thought that while the numbers weren't quite there last season, it was almost as good as the 2011 defense. The offenses we played *and* beat last year showed that Nick Saban can adjust with no problems. Old man football.... don't get me started ;-)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If you are a 5 star athlete with aspirations for the NFL, coming to Bama is a "Ivy League" caliber education. You will be challenged by your peers, surrounded by the best of the best and be at one of the top destinations that receives national exposure

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Maybe you missed the 2011 season? ;-) Also, for the adjustments we made to handle faster football, I thought that while the numbers weren't quite there last season, it was almost as good as the 2011 defense. The offenses we played *and* beat last year showed that Nick Saban can adjust with no problems. Old man football.... don't get me started ;-)
No, I didn't miss the 2011 season. That defense was special. I said top to bottom. The '11 D didn't have the pass rushers to the '16 D has. To me that's why the '16 D has the potential to be the best Bama D I've ever seen. At least that's what I'm hoping! 😜

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.