Alphonse Taylor Charged with DUI, Indefinitely Suspended (UPDATE: NOT GUILTY of DUI)

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI

Fair enough. Let me rephrase, because of course CNS doesn't tolerate it in the sense of ignoring it. By all knowledgeable accounts, he applies significant consequences to such behavior.

Such discipline should have two goals: (1) to reform the individual; (2) to admonish the team. Let's assume goal 1 is generally met; I'd be hard pressed to argue goal 2 is. For whatever reason, our guys continue to get themselves arrested at a higher rate than most other championship contenders (slightly dated source: http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-most-arrested-college-football-teams-in-america-081815)
Even Clay Travis has the occasional funny line . .

"26. Nebraska 12
You know the program is in stiff decline when Nebraska can't even make the top 25 of arrests any more. Lawrence Phillips used to do that by himself. "

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Seems like a lack of leadership and a sense of entitlement or something going on with this team and some of it's upper class men right now. They better tighten it up..... Just stupid....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Seems like a lack of leadership and a sense of entitlement or something going on with this team and some of it's upper class men right now. They better tighten it up..... Just stupid....
I don't think that's the issue.... That's just my opinion. I really don't think it's the entitlement issue. We've always had someone who gets in trouble every year. You can have a strong leadership on the team and you still can have issue here and there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI

Fair enough. Let me rephrase, because of course CNS doesn't tolerate it in the sense of ignoring it. By all knowledgeable accounts, he applies significant consequences to such behavior.

Such discipline should have two goals: (1) to reform the individual; (2) to admonish the team. Let's assume goal 1 is generally met; I'd be hard pressed to argue goal 2 is. For whatever reason, our guys continue to get themselves arrested at a higher rate than most other championship contenders (slightly dated source: http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-most-arrested-college-football-teams-in-america-081815)
So in that five year period, Alabama averaged under 4 arrests a year on a team with 120 players? That's not bad at all. Not to mention in that five year stretch would include the four players arrested for beating up a student and stealing Action cards.

Or I'm sure it includes a case like Cyrus Jones for being arrested for taking his ex-girlfriend's cell phone because she stole his. And because of the prior relationship, he gets arrested for domestic violence.

Or Dillon Lee getting arrested for DUI in an apartment complex parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

A couple of guys who got caught up in a bad situation and one DUI does not make for a bad mental makeup.

Are these kids suppose to be in cryotubes until the Fall?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

A couple of guys who got caught up in a bad situation and one DUI does not make for a bad mental makeup.

Are these kids suppose to be in cryotubes until the Fall?
Indeed not, but IMHO one could hope that they (especially upperclassmen ) would/could at least have some semblance of a sense of responsibility for leadership and setting an example. Not to mention having a sense of opportunity. Silly me, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I know I risk getting flamed for this, but one of the consequences of not having a zero tolerance policy for this kind of behavior is having to tolerate more of this kind of behavior...

I use to feel this way but after thinking about it, a "zero tolerance policy" really isn't fair to the player, because circumstances are different in every case.
I think you have to weigh each one on it's own.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

So in that five year period, Alabama averaged under 4 arrests a year on a team with 120 players? That's not bad at all. Not to mention in that five year stretch would include the four players arrested for beating up a student and stealing Action cards.

(A) 4 arrests per year is not bad? According to the (slightly dated) stats, it's more than all but 11 of the 127 or so other FBS programs. Objectively, it's well outside the FBS norm.

(B) WRT the "four players arrested," other schools likely had similar groupings, but even if they didn't, so what? Ignore that bunch, and we're still top )or is it bottom) 20, and worse than AU.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Indeed not, but IMHO one could hope that they (especially upperclassmen ) would/could at least have some semblance of a sense of responsibility for leadership and setting an example. Not to mention having a sense of opportunity. Silly me, I suppose.
People make bad decisions on occasion. And in the case of a group of people, it doesn't reflect on the mental makeup of the whole most of the time. This team could be the hardest working and dedicated group we've ever fielded for all we know right now.

One DUI and a couple of guys getting slammed with puffed up charges doesn't mean the team is in a bad mental makeup. I'd be more worried about Shank's weight issues that cost him first-string status in the Spring w/r/t commitment to the team and winning than the DUI. The DUI is just stupidity.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

There's not a program out there that doesn't have issues like this. I think CNS and his staff do about all they can to prevent these things but you can't account for everyone all of the time. There certainly should be some punishment. I will let the coaches decide on what that should be as they are a lot closer to the situation than I am. I don't think that a zero tolerance policy is the answer but in my opinion, with something like this, two strikes and you're out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think there are several "no tolerance" things with Saban. Physical domestic violence, dealing drugs, assault with a deadly weapon, etc.

These are no brainers. I scratch my head at the cries for fire and brimstone for nearly any little thing that happens that involves the police. If the university was doing this for the entire student population, they wouldn't be growing the attendance year over year as they have over the last decade.

DUIs are serious but the university isn't even pulling scholarships from regular students for that stuff.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

To be clear, I'm certainly not calling for anyone's head at this time. On something like dui, people can get seriously injured/killed because of that. I see that too often in my line of work so I have a very low tolerance for anyone who does this, but as I said before, I let the staff make these decisions.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure you weren't singling me out so this is not directed at you, rgw.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Amazing. He was voted preseason All-SEC last week and he wasn't even guaranteed a starting spot. With this event, he sacrificed both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I think there are several "no tolerance" things with Saban. Physical domestic violence, dealing drugs, assault with a deadly weapon, etc.

These are no brainers. I scratch my head at the cries for fire and brimstone for nearly any little thing that happens that involves the police. If the university was doing this for the entire student population, they wouldn't be growing the attendance year over year as they have over the last decade.

DUIs are serious but the university isn't even pulling scholarships from regular students for that stuff.
Heck, the stats provided earlier indicate 3% of the football team are arrested. Are we really expected to think only 3% of the UA male population is arrested?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I was looking at all the drivers texting (or watching video) on their cell phones on the way to and from church. Is DUI any worse that? If a football player gets a ticket for texting (yeah, like that will ever be enforced) will they demand missing time?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Amazing. He was voted preseason All-SEC last week and he wasn't even guaranteed a starting spot. With this event, he sacrificed both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
That is amazing. After the way he played the last half of the season (especially the national championship game), I don't see how he got a vote. Was it the weight that caused him the problem, or something else?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Heck, the stats provided earlier indicate 3% of the football team are arrested. Are we really expected to think only 3% of the UA male population is arrested?

I was friends with good guys, smart ones too. I think half of them got in some minor trouble. The worst had a spat of DUIs but he turned it around after finishing grad school.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.