Alphonse Taylor Charged with DUI, Indefinitely Suspended (UPDATE: NOT GUILTY of DUI)

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI

Heck, the stats provided earlier indicate 3% of the football team are arrested. Are we really expected to think only 3% of the UA male population is arrested?...
I have no clue. However, it's not really relevant. The appropriate control group is other football teams; specifically, other FBS teams; even more specifically, other championship contender FBS teams; and we don't compare favorably. I'd be curious to know why that is, but as you and I clearly see this differently, I'll agree to disagree and will stop debating you...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think that the notion that you can really come down hard on this stuff and avoid future instances of it on your team is probably incorrect. The reality is that most great players - the type of players recruited by Alabama - have been allowed to get away with a whole lot for a long time before they ever reach college. It isn't a lack of public discipline at Alabama that leads to this type of behavior. IMO, it is a product of their being young and idolized.

Coaches understand this. They know what they are getting. Coaches like Saban try to take these egos and turn them into men. But in so doing you cannot treat them as if they were regular kids with regular upbringings. They are gifted, and have been treated differently their entire lives because of that. Even if their parents try to keep them grounded, everyone else in their lives treats them like a celebrity. Coaches like Saban fight that attitude every day, on the field and off the field.

The great players almost all come with this sort of baggage. The great coaches do their best to help them.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I think that the notion that you can really come down hard on this stuff and avoid future instances of it on your team is probably incorrect. The reality is that most great players - the type of players recruited by Alabama - have been allowed to get away with a whole lot for a long time before they ever reach college. It isn't a lack of public discipline at Alabama that leads to this type of behavior. IMO, it is a product of their being young and idolized.

Coaches understand this. They know what they are getting. Coaches like Saban try to take these egos and turn them into men. But in so doing you cannot treat them as if they were regular kids with regular upbringings. They are gifted, and have been treated differently their entire lives because of that. Even if their parents try to keep them grounded, everyone else in their lives treats them like a celebrity. Coaches like Saban fight that attitude every day, on the field and off the field.

The great players almost all come with this sort of baggage. The great coaches do their best to help them.
Some colleges recruit without any thought to the baggage. I really do think we make an effort to filter as much as we can. But sometimes we whiff

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Given Shank's other issues, I see lots and lots of running in his near future.
His arrest is all over the net. Every sport site has it on page one. Following right behind all the criticism Coach got for the Cam deal I would expect the hammer down. But then Coach does what he thinks is best for the player and not public opinion. Still, it has to be considered I think.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It's not like the 1950s anymore. And it hasn't been in a long time. But even back then, you had guys that were breaking the rules. It was probably covered up a lot more back then.

I think our program is just fine. Taylor may not be, though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I was driving into work a bit late today and heard a Notre Dame fan talking about the arrest epidemic at Alabama under Nick Saban. I find that ironic when there was documentary on ESPN that covered how NDPD and South Bend PD basically threw their hands in the air when trying to bring a football player in for questioning about an alleged rape...and such miscarriage of justice drove the victim to suicide and a veteran detective who couldn't believe the corruption into retirement.

Hard to have an arrest problem when nobody can even bring your players in for questioning much less put cuffs on them

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I was driving into work a bit late today and heard a Notre Dame fan talking about the arrest epidemic at Alabama under Nick Saban. I find that ironic when there was documentary on ESPN that covered how NDPD and South Bend PD basically threw their hands in the air when trying to bring a football player in for questioning about an alleged rape...and such miscarriage of justice drove the victim to suicide and a veteran detective who couldn't believe the corruption into retirement.

Hard to have an arrest problem when nobody can even bring your players in for questioning much less put cuffs on them
It wasn't golden goober on the OD was it?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Well Jay Barker was on there, so yeah I believe it was!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I was looking at all the drivers texting (or watching video) on their cell phones on the way to and from church. Is DUI any worse that? If a football player gets a ticket for texting (yeah, like that will ever be enforced) will they demand missing time?

They actually passed a law up here a few years ago against texting and driving.

It is actually enforced [$500 fine, 3 demerit points] yet is routinely flouted...

Major push to increase the fine / penalties further...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Lizzy Seeberg...

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

I believe in 2nd chances and for sticking with the individual player that gets in trouble but I also believe that in addition to any off the field punishments that Saban gives out, there should also be game suspensions involved. I have always felt game suspensions carried more weight and got the players attention better than just doing extra conditioning, community service type things, ride-alongs with police, etc.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I have no clue. However, it's not really relevant. The appropriate control group is other football teams; specifically, other FBS teams; even more specifically, other championship contender FBS teams; and we don't compare favorably. I'd be curious to know why that is, but as you and I clearly see this differently, I'll agree to disagree and will stop debating you...
Since I'm actually on a computer today, I looked at the link you provided. You probably should take another look at it.

It only counted 53 teams, not all 120 like you previously said. There were 39 teams with less arrests than Alabama. When looking at the averages over the five year period, Alabama averaged 3.6 arrests while four teams averaged 3.2 arrests and four more averaged 2.8 arrests.

Now, let's take a look at the 19 arrests in the article:

Mark Barron, 2011:

According to MPD spokesman Christopher Levy, police were called to the scene of a single-car accident at 5 a.m. at the intersection of Interstate-10 and Michigan Avenue in Mobile. That's where an officer found an abandoned Chrysler 300, which belonged to Barron, Levy said.

Barron was the lone person at the scene. He did not drive the car and was not injured, Levy said.

Barron told the officer had been at Shotgun Willies, a nightclub on Airport Boulevard. He would not tell the officer how he arrived at the scene, Levy said.

Barron told the officer his car had been taken without permission by a man he only knew by the nickname "Bull," Levy said. The officer determined through questioning the car had been taken by Barron's cousin, Jeremy Lang, who fled the scene, Levy said.

The officer offered Barron multiple chances to provide more concrete details even calling Baron's mother and grandmother at their home on Butts Street, Levy said.

Barron maintained his version of events and was told at that point the officer had no other choice but to arrest him and process him, Levy said.
Brent Calloway, 2011:

University of Alabama running back Brent Calloway is free on bond after being arrested on charges of second-degree possession of marijuana early Friday morning.

Calloway, 18, was a passenger in a vehicle that police stopped in the 900 block of Paul Bryant Dr. around 12:45 a.m. because the vehicle's lights were off. Officers smelled an odor of marijuana as they approached the car and found a bag of marijuana while searching Calloway, according to Tuscaloosa Police spokesman Sgt. Brent Blankley.
Eddie Williams, 2013:

Eddie Williams was charged with having a gun after a disturbance at the BP on the Strip early Sunday morning
Eddie Williams, Brent Calloway, Tyler Hayes, and DJ Pettway, 2013:

According to arrest warrants, Pettway, Williams and Hayes attacked and robbed two UA students in two separate incidents. The trio came away with a laptop, cash, a UA student action card and various credit and debit cards. Calloway and Williams each used the action card to purchase snacks from a Bryant Hall vending machine.

Hayes and Williams confessed to the robberies and Calloway confessed to using the card with knowledge that it had been stolen.
Geno Smith, 2013:

Alabama sophomore cornerback Geno Smith was arrested for driving under the influence and booked by the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office early Sunday morning, according to a report on the office's website.

Bond was set at $1,000, according to the website. As of 11 a.m., Smith was still listed as an inmate at Tuscaloosa County Jail, but was no longer listed at 7:45 p.m.
Tony Brown, 2014:

Just weeks after enrolling a semester early at the University of Alabama dual-sport athlete Tony Brown found trouble.

The football/track athlete was arrested Saturday, the Tuscaloosa News reported, and charged with failure to obey and resisting arrest. Tuscaloosa police would only confirm to AL.com Brown was arrested, but turned down multiple requests to view the arrest log for specific charges.
Witnesses: Police the aggressors in melee that led to Alabama football player Tony Brown's arrest

Alabama cornerback Tony Brown was pepper sprayed, arrested then charged with failure to obey and resisting arrest Saturday night at an off-campus party.

That was the Tuscaloosa Police Department's account, according to a press release Sunday night.
Multiple eyewitnesses, however, have told AL.com the news release was filled with inaccuracies or fabrications. One witness told AL.com an unidentified officer pointed a gun at Brown and others during the encounter.

Multiple attempts by AL.com to obtain or view an arrest report and any other public documents linked to the incident were rejected by Tuscaloosa police. Sgt. Brent Blankley said Tuesday the press release would be the only comment from the department.

Jaison Davis, 23 from Atlanta, said Brown was never threatening to the two police officers, who responded to a noise complaint at Campus Way, an off-campus student apartment complex. The party was attended by mostly Alabama track and field team members, Davis and other witnesses said.

Police ordered Brown, also a member of the track team, and other witnesses to disperse in the parking lot. The officers could not be identified without arrest reports, which police would not release to AL.com and other news outlets. Blankley refused to name the officers.
Altee Tenpenny, 2014:

Alabama sophomore running back Altee Tenpenny was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance in his home town North Little Rock, Ark., during spring break.

According to the incident report, Tenpenny was pulled over March 24 because of an "inoperational license plate light." After the officer detected "the odor of burnt marijuana," Tenpenny, who was described by the arresting officer as "extremely nervous," told the officer he "smoked a blunt" earlier in the night but initially denied that there was any in the vehicle.
Dillon Lee, 2014:

Alabama linebacker Dillon Lee was arrested Thursday on charges of driving under the influence.

At approximately 2 a.m., Tuscaloosa Police responded to the scene of a minor accident with no injuries in the 800 block of 31st street after it was reported one of the drivers was intoxicated. Officers found cause to charge Lee with driving under the influence.

Lee was transported to Tuscaloosa County Jail and was released after he sobered up and paid a $1,000 bond.
Kenyan Drake, 2014:

Alabama rising junior running back Kenyan Drake was arrested early Saturday morning and charged with one misdemeanor count of obstructing governmental operations.

Drake's vehicle was parked inside a crime scene and he ignored orders to stay outside the scene, Tuscaloosa Police Spokesman Sgt. Brent Blankley told AL.com.

"He was trying to cross a crime scene," Blankley said. "We had a shooting and his vehicle was parked inside the crime scene. We told him that he could not get his vehicle and he tried to cross the crime scene anyway so he could get his vehicle. Officers arrested him for obstructing government operations."
Jarran Reed, 2014:

For the second time in eight days, an Alabama football player football player found himself in legal trouble.

Defensive lineman Jarran Reed was arrested Sunday morning and charged with DUI, according to records at the Tuscaloosa County Jail. He was being held on $1,000 unsecured bond.

According to Tuscaloosa police, Reed had a blood alcohol content of 0.13 percent, above the legal limit of 0.08.
Ryan Anderson, 2015:

Alabama outside linebacker Ryan Anderson and a female Alabama student were arrested Tuesday in Tuscaloosa.

According to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's arrest database, the rising junior and Sierra Patterson, 20, were arrested on misdemeanor third-degree domestic violence, criminal mischief. Bond was set at $500.

According to a Tuscaloosa police news release, the alleged crimes involved property damage. Officers arrived to the 1300 block of 17th Ave. East at about 11:28 p.m. Monday. Witnesses indicated Anderson and Patterson got into an argument in the yard.

Patterson allegedly keyed and threw objects at Anderson's vehicle. Anderson also allegedly kicked Patterson's vehicle. Both vehicles had visible damage, according to the TPD report.
Geno Smith, 2015:

Alabama free safety Geno Smith was arrested Saturday morning and charged with driving under the influence, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office.

Bond was set at $1,000, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office website.
Jonathan Taylor, 2015:

Alabama defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor was arrested Saturday night and charged with domestic violence third degree assault and domestic violence third degree criminal mischief, according to the Tuscaloosa Police Department.

The incident occurred around 6 p.m. Saturday, according to the incident report.

The 24-year old female victim had minor injuries to her neck, according to the report. Police also found a bedroom closet door with a hole punched in it.
Tyren Jones, 2015:

Suspended Alabama running back Tyren Jones was arrested Tuesday for possession of marijuana.

A Tuscaloosa police report states Jones was in a car stopped on 10th Avenue with the smell of marijuana. Officers found digital scales in the Dodge Challenger belonging to Brandon Lee Hansberry, who was also arrested.

A small amount of marijuana was found in the pants pocket of Jones.

Jones was charged with second degree possession of marijuana. He was released on $1,000 bond. Two other unidentified passengers were in the car but were not charged with a crime.
Cyrus Jones, 2015:

Alabama senior cornerback Cyrus Jones was arrested late Tuesday night and charged with third-degree domestic violence criminal mischief and third-degree domestic violence harassment, according to police records.

Police determined that Jones took and damaged the 22-year old victim's cell phone and threatened to assault her, according to a release from the Tuscaloosa Police Department.
But Cyrus wasn't charged. Why?

Two days after an arrest, charges against Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones were dropped Friday.

Jones was charged with criminal mischief and harassment (domestic violence) Wednesday morning, but the case ended Friday. According to Tuscaloosa police, charges were dropped because Jones "attempted to deescalate the situation by contacting the Tuscaloosa Police Department."

The city attorney agreed with the decision to dismiss the charges. Tuscaloosa police said there was sufficient probable cause to make the initial arrest.
Alabama's Cyrus Jones 'shouldn't have been arrested,' high school coach says

I see at least five arrests that appear to be pretty bogus. That drops the number down to 13 arrests over a five year span. Would you be satisfied with that?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.