Alphonse Taylor Charged with DUI, Indefinitely Suspended (UPDATE: NOT GUILTY of DUI)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI

I suspect Alphonse will miss some games

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI and Indefinitely Suspended

...I see at least five arrests that appear to be pretty bogus. That drops the number down to 13 arrests over a five year span. Would you be satisfied with that?
I always appreciate good research, which you've done. Props to you for that.

As for being satisfied, I'm not; but I think you and I just look at this issue from fundamentally different perspectives. I will respect you and yours, despite the disagreement.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I always appreciate good research, which you've done. Props to you for that.

As for being satisfied, I'm not; but I think you and I just look at this issue from fundamentally different perspectives. I will to respect you and yours, despite the disagreement.
Not trying to be argumentative. Really want to understand your thinking. What more do you want?

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Heck, the stats provided earlier indicate 3% of the football team are arrested. Are we really expected to think only 3% of the UA male population is arrested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Per year?!

Edit: I went looking for stats. Here's the best I could find from the FBI website from 2012:

"Nationwide, law enforcement made an estimated 12,196,959 arrests in 2012. Of these arrests, 521,196 were for violent crimes, and 1,646,212 were for property crimes. (Note: the UCR Program does not collect data on citations for traffic violations.)The highest number of arrests were for drug abuse violations (estimated at 1,552,432 arrests), driving under the influence (estimated at 1,282,957), and larceny-theft (estimated at 1,282,352). (See Table 29.)
The estimated arrest rate for the United States in 2012 was 3,888.2 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants. The arrest rate for violent crime (including murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) was 166.3 per 100,000 inhabitants, and the arrest rate for property crime (burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson) was 528.1 per 100,000 inhabitants. (See Table 30.)"

That does make for a 3.9% arrest rate. However, it does not take into account that the mean number of arrests per capita per year is not the same as percentage of the population that was arrested per year, which is going to be far lower (many people have many arrests each year, meaning that the percentage of unique individuals getting arrested per year is far lower. I was still shocked to see that the arrest rate is over 3% per year!

Nonetheless, I think I would be very unhappy if 3% of my team was arrested on average each year. These are people who have the privilege of playing football for scholarship and should be held to a higher standard than the general populace. For example, if you heard that 3% of physicians or police officers were arrested each year, wouldn't you consider that too high? Politicians is probably another story, of course...

I don't think we're terrible outliers here for college football, but I want better for our University.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Per year?!

Edit: I went looking for stats. Here's the best I could find from the FBI website from 2012:

"Nationwide, law enforcement made an estimated 12,196,959 arrests in 2012. Of these arrests, 521,196 were for violent crimes, and 1,646,212 were for property crimes. (Note: the UCR Program does not collect data on citations for traffic violations.)The highest number of arrests were for drug abuse violations (estimated at 1,552,432 arrests), driving under the influence (estimated at 1,282,957), and larceny-theft (estimated at 1,282,352). (See Table 29.)
The estimated arrest rate for the United States in 2012 was 3,888.2 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants. The arrest rate for violent crime (including murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) was 166.3 per 100,000 inhabitants, and the arrest rate for property crime (burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson) was 528.1 per 100,000 inhabitants. (See Table 30.)"

That does make for a 3.9% arrest rate. However, it does not take into account that the mean number of arrests per capita per year is not the same as percentage of the population that was arrested per year, which is going to be far lower (many people have many arrests each year, meaning that the percentage of unique individuals getting arrested per year is far lower. I was still shocked to see that the arrest rate is over 3% per year!

Nonetheless, I think I would be very unhappy if 3% of my team was arrested on average each year. These are people who have the privilege of playing football for scholarship and should be held to a higher standard than the general populace. For example, if you heard that 3% of physicians or police officers were arrested each year, wouldn't you consider that too high? Politicians is probably another story, of course...

I don't think we're terrible outliers here for college football, but I want better for our University.
Just for clarification's sake. Those numbers are for the general population, correct? Going to bet the percentage is higher for the 18-23 year old range. That was my point.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

In the end, he's a kid and he made a mistake. Fortunately, he didn't hurt anyone or himself. I'll say that for any college kid at any school. If getting arrested for DUI is the worst thing he ever does and he learns a valuable lesson from it (like never doing it again), then so be it. He'll pay the punishment from Coach Saban and the judicial system. I hope he gets deferred adjudication so he doesn't have anything permanent on his record and I hope he learns a valuable lesson from this unfortunate experience.

I can't criticize the young man, because I'm not going to sit here and be pious and lie that I didn't do that at his age either. I did, I just 1) didn't get caught and 2) didn't hurt anyone, including myself. I was lucky/blessed/stupid...whatever you want to call it. I was young and invincible in my own mind. He'll grow from this, I hope, and will be a better man as a result of the unfortunate experience.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I guess that's that.
Not really. "Indefinitely suspended" under Saban means he has a lot to do before he would consider taking him back and he won't be a part of team activities until he does. It did not say he was kicked off the team. With that said, the suspension coming two weeks before camp starts I would say Shank's chances of seeing the field anytime soon or at all are very slim.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Not really. "Indefinitely suspended" under Saban means he has a lot to do before he would consider taking him back and he won't be a part of team activities until he does. It did not say he was kicked off the team. With that said, the suspension coming two weeks before camp starts I would say Shank's chances of seeing the field anytime soon or at all are very slim.
Lets just say Shank will be in a lot better shape once he's done all Coach requires.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Not a surprise. People calling for punishment over stuff that got dropped by the local DA was idiocy. This is a different matter.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

IIRC - both Cam & Hootie are currently in the same status pending completion of Saban's prescribed steps to regain their status with the team. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI and Indefinitely Suspended

IIRC - both Cam & Hootie are currently in the same status pending completion of Saban's prescribed steps to regain their status with the team. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

Perhaps so - no one can really say - but if I had to venture a guess I think Cam and Hootie are closer to the "going to play" side of the continuum while Alphonse Taylor is almost right next to the "not going to play" pole.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Perhaps so - no one can really say - but if I had to venture a guess I think Cam and Hootie are closer to the "going to play" side of the continuum while Alphonse Taylor is almost right next to the "not going to play" pole.
Oh - no doubt about that. Saban made that pretty clear at media day. I was just pointing out that his initial response was basically the same and no formal announcement has been made regarding their status.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

As for being satisfied, I'm not; but I think you and I just look at this issue from fundamentally different perspectives. I will to respect you and yours, despite the disagreement.
I have two major issues with your position.
A: You seem to being treating all arrests as equal. They are not. Merely being arrested can range anywhere from not actually doing anything wrong, to rape and murder. How much weight would you put on a rape arrest vs. the crime of possessing a plant? I don't care how many arrests Baylor or Tennessee had, what they had going on there was what a real problem looks like and it is disgusting.
B: Not all police are willing to arrest and punish football players. So, just pointing somewhere and going on hey those guys haven't been arrested as much means virtually nothing.
I see at least five arrests that appear to be pretty bogus. That drops the number down to 13 arrests over a five year span. Would you be satisfied with that?
Not only that, but you had 4 arrests from a single incident. Every single one of the players involved were kicked off the team. The only player allowed to return, from what I gather had no direct involvement (his guilt was that of being present). You can't let data be skewed by single incidents though, for instance you have one mass killing in a small country like Iceland and suddenly the homicide rate skyrockets. That's not indicative of now things normally are though.

Hard to have an arrest problem when nobody can even bring your players in for questioning much less put cuffs on them
It is hard to believe that at this point in time, some people are still so oblivious, and yet they are. How many times did someone report what Sandusky was doing? Yet, it took decades for him to be arrested right? Well, I guess they had a sterling arrest record for coaches during that period, but what means absolutely nothing.

How about Jamies Winston? What he apparently did (I can only say apparently because of steadfast refusal by the police to do their job appropriately), is far worse than any football player Nick Saban has coached as far as I'm aware. She reported the rape without knowing who he was, his DNA was on her (though they took their sweet time in bringing him in and testing), and she has bruises appear on her during the interview. Pretty open and shut case if handled properly, yet it wasn't even close to being handled properly. So, no arrest, Isiah can point to FSU as not having an arrest, but that means nothing. Let us not forget their running back beat up his girlfriend, she posted pictures on social media of it, and he wasn't even suspended a single game. That's what a problem looks like.

There's just no evidence at all that Nick Saban has a problem, unless you consider not covering up player's crimes a problem. I suppose Penn State and FSU would see it that way, but I don't. There's no evidence of Nick Saban harassing victims like Art Briles and Joe Paterno did, there's no evidence of coverups, there none of the evidence we've seen elsewhere of systematic problems. Instead, we see players who occasionally break the law and have to face actual repercussions of that. I don't see the problem...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.