Alphonse Taylor Charged with DUI, Indefinitely Suspended (UPDATE: NOT GUILTY of DUI)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI and Indefinitely Suspended

Well if it wasn't a drug in his system that caused this then you have to looking at other possibilities. Was he texting/surfing while driving? Was he in an altercation with someone else in the vehicle who may have been dropped off after hitting the cars? Does he have health condition that may cause him to have blackouts, seizures such as diabetes or disautonomia? If he has a health condition I could see where we might not know this yet due to hippa laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI and Indefinitely Suspended

Wouldn't the blood test they administered show any drugs that might be in his system? Or does it just detect the alcohol level?
If they did a blood test, it would depend on what they tested for. As far as I know, he only blew in a breathalyzer. If THAT'S the case, the case doesn't have much of a leg to stand on it would seem.
Something strange about this - he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. He called TPD, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know people have "answered" it since then, but this is what bugs me. Without all the information I can make a case he hit the first one after falling asleep, hit his head hard enough to disorientate him, and thus didn't remember hitting the first car.

I'm NOT saying the police are doing anything wrong in any way, but there is just way too much info missing from a police report. It leaves an equation with too many variables.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

If they did a blood test, it would depend on what they tested for. As far as I know, he only blew in a breathalyzer. If THAT'S the case, the case doesn't have much of a leg to stand on it would seem.

I know people have "answered" it since then, but this is what bugs me. Without all the information I can make a case he hit the first one after falling asleep, hit his head hard enough to disorientate him, and thus didn't remember hitting the first car.

I'm NOT saying the police are doing anything wrong in any way, but there is just way too much info missing from a police report. It leaves an equation with too many variables.

You are asking the officer to be prosecutor/judge/jury. They will have to dig into his charge, which is nothing but the fact that another car was hit without being reported.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

You are asking the officer to be prosecutor/judge/jury. They will have to dig into his charge, which is nothing but the fact that another car was hit without being reported.
How so?

I just am asking this. Why didn't they call an ambulance if he said he hit his head? That's standard operating procedure.

Why didn't they list a substance he was under the influence of? Without that, there literally can be no DUI.

Something is off from the report.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The driver of any motor vehicle which collides with any motor vehicle or other vehicle which is unattended shall immediately stop and shall then and there either locate and notify the operator or owner of such vehicle of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle striking the unattended vehicle or shall leave in a conspicuous place in or on the vehicle struck a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and/or the owner of the vehicle doing the striking and a statement of the circumstances thereof.(Acts 1943, No. 558, p. 548, §4.)

ok, I think I understand. But given that he called the police after hitting the second car in the same parking lot, that ought to count for something.
That's a 1943 Act. I'm going to guess it's been amended since then, especially since the current Code of Alabama is from 1975.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

A simple urine toxicology screen will detect the most common drugs. I have a problem with someone being charged with DUI and not being tested. It would be interesting to see if the police at least attempted to do this.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This seemed pretty cut and dry when you looked at the initial report. DUI, ran into a car and left the scene. Then you get more information and you find out he was not intoxicated, hadn't been drinking at all, and in fact called the police himself. Either there is still more we do not know, or this was mishandled.

There was an odd case with an NFL player who fell asleep at the wheel, drove his car into the water, and was disoriented at the scene (if I recall the details correctly). He was not charged with DUI. There's clearly some ambiguity there, but I have to admit I am not fond of charging someone without any sort of actual proof they had something in their system. If someone was having a medical issue, or a reaction to something, yes they are impaired, no they shouldn't be driving, but how on earth do you charge them with DUI? Without proof they put something into their system deliberately, they should be given the benefit of a doubt.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Here's the excerpts from that link....

According to documents requested by The Tuscaloosa News and provided by the Tuscaloosa Office of the City Attorney, Taylor called Tuscaloosa Police at 8:50 a.m. that Sunday to report that he had struck a vehicle in the parking lot.

"I immediately noticed that Taylor's speech was very slow and he appeared lethargic," the responding officer wrote in the arrest report. "Taylor advised that he had not been drinking, he did not take medication and had no medical problems."

The officer wrote that Taylor was reclining in his 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe when he arrived. Taylor told the officer that he had bumped his head on the steering wheel. The 911 call taker who dispatched the officer to the accident reported that Taylor was very difficult to understand.

"While I was speaking with him, I observed him drop his phone on the ground between his feet," the officer wrote. "Taylor struggled and swayed to retrieve his phone."

Taylor was arrested, and provided two breath samples at 9:19 a.m. The tests showed that he had a 0.0 blood alcohol content.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Here's the latest....

According to documents requested by The Tuscaloosa News and provided by the Tuscaloosa Office of the City Attorney, Taylor called Tuscaloosa Police at 8:50 a.m. that Sunday to report that he had struck a vehicle in the parking lot.

"I immediately noticed that Taylor's speech was very slow and he appeared lethargic," the responding officer wrote in the arrest report. "Taylor advised that he had not been drinking, he did not take medication and had no medical problems."

The officer wrote that Taylor was reclining in his 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe when he arrived. Taylor told the officer that he had bumped his head on the steering wheel. The 911 call taker who dispatched the officer to the accident reported that Taylor was very difficult to understand.

"While I was speaking with him, I observed him drop his phone on the ground between his feet," the officer wrote. "Taylor struggled and swayed to retrieve his phone."

Taylor was arrested, and provided two breath samples at 9:19 a.m. The tests showed that he had a 0.0 blood alcohol content.

Is that anything new or what was reported yesterday?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Is that anything new or what was reported yesterday?
Sorry, reading back through the previous days comments I realize that my post is an excerpt. I'll update my post.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This seemed pretty cut and dry when you looked at the initial report. DUI, ran into a car and left the scene. Then you get more information and you find out he was not intoxicated, hadn't been drinking at all, and in fact called the police himself. Either there is still more we do not know, or this was mishandled.

There was an odd case with an NFL player who fell asleep at the wheel, drove his car into the water, and was disoriented at the scene (if I recall the details correctly). He was not charged with DUI. There's clearly some ambiguity there, but I have to admit I am not fond of charging someone without any sort of actual proof they had something in their system. If someone was having a medical issue, or a reaction to something, yes they are impaired, no they shouldn't be driving, but how on earth do you charge them with DUI? Without proof they put something into their system deliberately, they should be given the benefit of a doubt.
Correct. The right move would have been to the ER, where they have sophisticated tests, not only for substances...

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009

Correct. The right move would have been to the ER, where they have sophisticated tests, not only for substances...
Hit his head, slurring speech, and disorientation would've been even MORE of a reason to hit up a local ER good drug tests or not. Last on my list would be drugs, since he called himself, although I ain't a cop so there is that.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Hit his head, slurring speech, and disorientation would've been even MORE of a reason to hit up a local ER good drug tests or not. Last on my list would be drugs, since he called himself, although I ain't a cop so there is that.
If it's not police policy to take someone to the ER in a situation like this it should be. I'd hate for someone to have to die for this to become standard procedure.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

They should've taken blood samples and done concussion tests at the hospital...what the heck was going on there?

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

First, the consensus is this guy is guilty and toss him under the bus, now its the cops messed up. I wonder what it will be tomorrow. I'll wait, I think, as I know any opinion of mine would be both premature and worthless. But I do thank you guys for the updates.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

First, the consensus is this guy is guilty and toss him under the bus, now its the cops messed up. I wonder what it will be tomorrow. I'll wait, I think, as I know any opinion of mine would be both premature and worthless. But I do thank you guys for the updates.
What? I don't know of any consensus either way. If you think him hitting his head couldn't be a reason, ask the Wisconsin player that lined up in our backfield after hitting his head. If it is a medical reason, it is covered by Hippa laws. I imagine CNS will make a statement soon.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think there may be toxicology report coming down the pipes. Can't see the police arresting a guy who is visibly indicating impaired ability yet blows a 0.0 without taking a blood sample.

It could have been a concussion but I wouldn't think Saban would have suspended him very publicly if the problem was quite obviously a concussion.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think there may be toxicology report coming down the pipes. Can't see the police arresting a guy who is visibly indicating impaired ability yet blows a 0.0 without taking a blood sample.

It could have been a concussion but I wouldn't think Saban would have suspended him very publicly if the problem was quite obviously a concussion.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's not what he said. He said he could have hit a baby carriage instead of a parked car like he did, which is why the DUI charge is worse than the other arrests.
Looking back at what Saban said when he was in Bristol for ESPN's coaches' carwash. His comments make the new development even stranger.

I know it was the day after the incident, but I would suspect Saban to have the details by the time he commented.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.