Alphonse Taylor Charged with DUI, Indefinitely Suspended (UPDATE: NOT GUILTY of DUI)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI and Indefinitely Suspended

As I said before, I hope Alphonse has had a thorough physical exam by now, to include some cranial imaging.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI and Indefinitely Suspended

It is a very very odd story. Wonder about cause and effect. Could be that something happened inside his head that caused him to have the crash in the first place.... I'm not going to speculate at all at this point, but I can think of a lot of medical conditions that would explain his behavior that don't have anything to do with alcohol or drug abuse. One would hope that the medical exams the players get would have accounted for most of those, but I'm just going to wait and see what happens from here one. We sure are a long way from: "Arrested in the early morning and charged with DUI and leaving the scene of an accident after hitting another car." Sounded like he was out at 2 a.m., driving home hammered, smashed a couple of cars, and ran and hid. Not like it was 9 a.m., he called the cops himself, he blew a 0.0 and was found relatively close to the scene when the cops got there, behaving oddly and complaining of a head injury.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Looking back at what Saban said when he was in Bristol for ESPN's coaches' carwash. His comments make the new development even stranger.

I know it was the day after the incident, but I would suspect Saban to have the details by the time he commented.
Maybe CNS jumped the gun, or maybe he thought he had details but the truth was muddled at that point. Nobody's perfect. He was also coming off the Cam Rob incident and maybe he wasn't addressing the public as much as he thought he needed to get in the players' heads that he wasn't going soft just because Can and Hootie were supported. Lots of maybes, I know.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Maybe CNS jumped the gun, or maybe he thought he had details but the truth was muddled at that point. Nobody's perfect. He was also coming off the Cam Rob incident and maybe he wasn't addressing the public as much as he thought he needed to get in the players' heads that he wasn't going soft just because Can and Hootie were supported. Lots of maybes, I know.
Or maybe blowing a 0.0 on the breathalyzer doesn't mean you aren't under the influence of something. I'm not suggesting this is the case, just saying his behavior is odd for someone who isn't under the influence of something...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Either there's more to the story that we don't know (and CNS knew the day he made his comments), or the entire thing was botched.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

The BAC would only measure alcohol, but I would suspect that they also did a blood test since he failed the field sobriety test--to confirm the accuracy of the breathalyzer. Maybe not. If they did do a blood test, CNS may not have known the results the next day. Could he have taken Ambien? Maybe his sugar dropped to a very low level? There are many explanations for this other than drugs or alcohol. I hope that he is ok and doesn't have some undiagnosed, scary medical condition.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Could he have taken Ambien? Maybe his sugar dropped to a very low level? There are many explanations for this other than drugs or alcohol. I hope that he is ok and doesn't have some undiagnosed, scary medical condition.
Not trying to make excuses, but this is a guy trying to lose weight right? So, it isn't out of the question that played a role in this.

Obviously though, the most likely explanation if he took some sort of drug. Since he didn't say he took any medicine, the police assume it was some sort of illegal drug. The issue with this mentality alone, is that it is an unfair assumption of guilt. Even if there's a 95% chance it was an illegal drug, they have to take that other 5% into account. Now, I don't know enough to say they didn't do that, but if you find a guy disoriented but not drunk, if you are a police officer your first concern should be his safety and well being. That should be the top priority, not oh I guess he did something wrong, the system just shouldn't work like that and when it does it fails.

Until I know more though I'll assume he was tested for drugs and received proper medical attention, but I find the potential scenario in which guilt is assumed and proper medical attention is not given, in and of itself troubling.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

The BAC would only measure alcohol, but I would suspect that they also did a blood test since he failed the field sobriety test--to confirm the accuracy of the breathalyzer. Maybe not. If they did do a blood test, CNS may not have known the results the next day. Could he have taken Ambien? Maybe his sugar dropped to a very low level? There are many explanations for this other than drugs or alcohol. I hope that he is ok and doesn't have some undiagnosed, scary medical condition.
This is a good point. Ambien makes some people do strange things.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Saban doesn't make comments on a whim. I find it hard to believe he made the statements without knowledge that Shank blew a 0.0 and Taylor maintained that his behavior was concussion induced due to hitting the steering wheel during the wreck.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Tide OL Alphonse Taylor arrested, charged with DUI

His comments during the ESPN car wash were a tad more condemning insofar as going into greater detail about the seriousness of DUIs and how it puts everyone on the road at risk.

He said that despite likely knowing he blew a 0.0. I feel like this 0.0 news was posturing from the Taylor legal camp and there is more to it than we know. I imagine the toxicology report is going to be the crux of it if the case goes forward. Seeing how it was not dismissed by the Tuscaloosa DA within a day or two of the breathalyzer news, I imagine the prosecution is waiting on a toxicology report (which can take awhile).

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

Years ago I knew a girl that got arrested for DWI. She had taken some pills to get a buz. Her lawyer got her off but she should not have been driving.

Quaaludes. I couldn't remember the name yesterday. Dont think they are around anymore.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

His comments during the ESPN car wash were a tad more condemning insofar as going into greater detail about the seriousness of DUIs and how it puts everyone on the road at risk.

He said that despite likely knowing he blew a 0.0. I feel like this 0.0 news was posturing from the Taylor legal camp and there is more to it than we know. I imagine the toxicology report is going to be the crux of it if the case goes forward. Seeing how it was not dismissed by the Tuscaloosa DA within a day or two of the breathalyzer news, I imagine the prosecution is waiting on a toxicology report (which can take awhile).
The observation that the DA hasn't yet dismissed the charges is solid. That said, it seems like a really big stretch to talk about "posturing from the Taylor legal camp." I don't see the reason to attribute that info to a spin campaign. Any links to back that up?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

TPD released these documents after a FOIA request from Tuscaloosa News and the Decatur paper. Taylor's lawyer wouldn't have any real control over that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Well then, guess I equated a comment from the lawyers as an an attribution of the information source.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

No matter what Shank actually did there is evidence that he has not had good focus since the championship game. Knowing that this sort of thing is what kills good teams I think Saban is going to be willing to sit good players if it means he gets the remaining players to focus on the task at hand.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I read this quote on al.com, but then I couldn't find the article I pulled it from. At any rate, I'm glad Saban has decided to let him practice with the team, it sounded like we didn't have all the info on what happened when the arrest was first reported.

Offensive lineman Alphonse Taylor was practicing after his July arrest for DUI.
After making the post, I saw this article which explains Saban's position. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...n_updates_status_of_a_1.html#incart_big-photo

"Alphonse Taylor has gone through a program – pretty significant program, pretty intense program – and we have cleared him to practice," Saban said. "But we have not made a decision, and it will be based on what he does and how he does it, as to whether that suspension that he had will be lifted when the games come. I'm not ready to make that decision right now, and I don't think we have all the information we need to have to be able to make that decision."

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I read this quote on al.com, but then I couldn't find the article I pulled it from. At any rate, I'm glad Saban has decided to let him practice with the team, it sounded like we didn't have all the info on what happened when the arrest was first reported.

After making the post, I saw this article which explains Saban's position. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...n_updates_status_of_a_1.html#incart_big-photo
Wow. That indicates that there was an issue with some sort of substance. I'm glad we have a coach who believes in rehabilitating kids instead of kicking them to the curb.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ruling expected in Alphonse Taylor's DUI case

Tuscaloosa's municipal judge is expected to make a ruling in the DUI case against Alabama offensive lineman Alphonse Taylor before the team's season opener Sept. 3.

Taylor was charged with a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident at a Tuscaloosa apartment complex on July 17. Court records released indicated that Taylor tested negative for alcohol, but performed poorly on field sobriety tests.

A pre-trial hearing was held Tuesday at Tuscaloosa Municipal Court. Taylor did not attend the hearing, but was represented by his attorney Jason Neff.

Neff said that he and Tuscaloosa city attorneys agreed to a set of facts surrounding the case that the judge will consider. Judge Ricky McKinney is expected to issue a ruling in about a week, Neff said

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alphonse Taylor found not gulity

DUI charge dropped

Alabama offensive lineman Alphonse Taylor has been found not guilty of a DUI.

Taylor was charged with a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident at a Tuscaloosa apartment complex on July 17. Court records released indicated that Taylor tested negative for alcohol, but performed poorly on field sobriety tests.

Tuscaloosa Municipal Judge Ricky McKinney ruled Tuesday that Taylor was not guilty of the DUI charge. The judge is expected to issue a ruling on the leaving the scene of an accident charge after the vehicle that was struck has been repaired, said Taylor's attorney, Jason Neff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.